Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The purpose of this thread is to finish off the background of Romans 1:18-32 that I didn't get to finish from this post before the thread was locked. It is from a Bible study perspective so please follow the CF rule that homosexuality may NOT be promoted here.

The wrath of God is indeed being revealed from heaven against every impiety and wickedness of those who suppress the truth by their wickedness. 19 For what can be known about God is evident to them, because God made it evident to them. 20 Ever since the creation of the world, his invisible attributes of eternal power and divinity have been able to be understood and perceived in what he has made. As a result, they have no excuse; 21 for although they knew God they did not accord him glory as God or give him thanks. Instead, they became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless minds were darkened. 22 While claiming to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for the likeness of an image of mortal man or of birds or of four-legged animals or of snakes.

24 Therefore, God handed them over to impurity through the lusts of their hearts for the mutual degradation of their bodies. 25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and revered and worshiped the creature rather than the creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. 26 Therefore, God handed them over to degrading passions. Their females exchanged natural relations for unnatural, 27 and the males likewise gave up natural relations with females and burned with lust for one another. Males did shameful things with males and thus received in their own persons the due penalty for their perversity. 28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God handed them over to their undiscerning mind to do what is improper. 29 They are filled with every form of wickedness, evil, greed, and malice; full of envy, murder, rivalry, treachery, and spite. They are gossips 30 and scandalmongers and they hate God. They are insolent, haughty, boastful, ingenious in their wickedness, and rebellious toward their parents. 31 They are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Although they know the just decree of God that all who practice such things deserve death, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
(Romans 1:18-32 NABRE)

The book of Romans was addressed to believers in Rome (1:7). Here's the background:

Paul wrote to a culture where homosexuality was accepted as a part of life for both men and women. For some 200 years, the men who ruled the Roman Empire openly practiced homosexuality often with young boys.

At times the Roman Empire specifically taxed approved homosexual prostitution and gave boy prostitutes a legal holiday. Legal marriage between same gender couples was recognized, and even some of the emperors married other men. At the very time Paul wrote, Nero was emperor. He took a boy named Sporus and had him castrated, then married him (with a full ceremony), brought him to the palace with a great procession, and made the boy his “wife.” Later, Nero lived with another man, and Nero was the “wife.”

Enduring Word Bible Commentary Romans Chapter 1

Paul lived in a day when homosexuality was “coming out of the closet.” The Roman historian Sutonius relates in graphic detail the unnatural sexual practices of those emperors who followed Augustus. Paul’s pronouncement here is a judgment against both Roman society and even the Roman emperors of the day.

WHEN GOD GIVES UP

Deities of human form prevailed in Greece; those of the bestial form in Egypt; and both methods of worship were practiced in Rome.

Romans 1:23 - and exchanged the... - Verse-by-Verse Commentary

In light of this background, we can see that the reason why God handed those people over to homosexuality is a judgment against sin. When men turned away from God and refused to worship Him, God gave them over to the sins of their flesh, in this case, it is homosexuality.

@Apex @food4thought

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sarah G

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here I am reposting what I previously posted in the other thread:

(1) Who are the "they" and "them" in verse 24-28?
  • They are those who suppress the truth by their wickedness (v18)
(2) What did "they" do?
  • They knew God but did not accord Him glory as God or give Him thanks (v22)
  • They exchanged the glory of the immortal God for the likeness of an image of mortal man or of birds or of four-legged animals or of snakes (v23)
  • They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and reversed and worshiped the creature rather than the creator (v25)
  • They did not see fit to acknowledge God (v28)
(3) What did God do to them?
  • Handed them over to impurity through the lusts of their hearts for the mutual degradation of their bodies (v24)
  • Handed them over to degrading passions (v26)
  • Handed them over to their undiscerning mind to do what is improper (v28)
(4) What are degrading passions in v26?
  • Their females exchanged natural relations for unnatural (v26) and the males likewise gave up natural relations with females and burned with lust for one another. Males did shameful things with males (v27)
(5) What is the consequence of males doing shameful things with males in v27?
  • They received in their own persons the due penalty for their perversity (v27)

To summarize, God handed over those people who committed idolatry and spiritual adultery against God to their own lusts in their hearts with the same sex for the mutual degradation of their bodies, and received the consequence - the due penalty for their perversity in their own persons.

We can see from this that God left those who lust for the same sex to their own device is due to them committing spiritual adultery against God. So it is clear that God does have a negative view towards lusting for the same sex, and there does exist penalty for lusting for the same sex. We also know that God does not change (Malachi 3:6). That is how this passage applies to us in the modern days.

Upvote 0

Instrument150

Aug 6, 2017
Pensacola
✟14,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, I've noticed the pattern a lot. Both in the Bible, and in my own life. God will talk and talk for a time, but eventually He just says, "If you love it so much, why don't you marry it?"

It's those times that are the darkest for us I think.

Those times can stop though, if we just listen to what starts as the biggest thing about us and slowly dwindles. Be as a child. Be creative with the love and works of the Spirit. I'm staking everything I have on that baring fruit

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Threads on homosexuality always get locked. I'm assuming they will be looking at my posts with a fine-tooth comb. I tried my hardest to stay within the rules. I never said homosexual behavior was moral. I only spoke directly to the historical significance and possible interpretations of the biblical references used. However, I'm concerned even that is not accepted here. I'm not going to participate in this new thread. Open and honest debate will have to happen off site.

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I've noticed the pattern a lot. Both in the Bible, and in my own life. God will talk and talk for a time, but eventually He just says, "If you love it so much, why don't you marry it?"

It's those times that are the darkest for us I think.

Those times can stop though, if we just listen to what starts as the biggest thing about us and slowly dwindles. Be as a child. Be creative with the love and works of the Spirit. I'm staking everything I have on that baring fruit
Yes, if we keep ignoring the Holy Spirit and choose our own way, God would eventually let us be and suffer the consequence. It is only when we have actually been shown that it is a choice of either to be with God or to be with Satan, would we know how lucky we are to have God that we can walk in the light instead of being left in the darkness with Satan.

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Threads on homosexuality always get locked. I'm assuming they will be looking at my posts with a fine-tooth comb. I tried my hardest to stay within the rules. I never said homosexual behavior was moral. I only spoke directly to the historical significance and possible interpretations of the biblical references used. However, I'm concerned even that is not accepted here. I'm not going to participate in this new thread. Open and honest debate will have to happen off site.
Okay. Understood.

Upvote 0