bowties

Sep 8, 2013
✟15,145.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Hey!

I wondered for a long time where to ask this question on the forums and decided to do it here because... you already know what roleplaying is.

I've loved to roleplay for years and do it mainly on Tumblr now ("indie rp", I rp a lot 1x1 with different people). I've started wondering if romatic roleplays are all right to do? I think romance is all right to write but writing it with another person in between the characters we write? I don't know about that anymore. Do you think it's okay, only sometimes okay (when?) or not okay at all? I'm not in a relationship but what if my rp partner is? Am I encouraging them to sin? What if they're non-Christian and comfortable with roleplaying romance themselves? I tend to get emotional about fiction whether it's a tv show or roleplaying, and I love feeling what my character feels but it's still... in my opinion different from my "real" feelings. Like, I like feeling fictionally sad through my character and it's not "real" sadness for me. Are romatic feelings like this wrong? Like loving the other character through my character - not lusting after the other roleplayer.

I used to roleplay sex when I wasn't religious but I've stopped that. I have a history of OCD and anxiety and especially OCD is messing with my faith a lot... is this just another OCD thing? What do you think about romantic RPGs?

And if romance is okay, what is going too far? I understand that graphic sex is going too far but what about mentions of sex? Kissing or making out?

Thanks for taking the time to read this & thanks for your thoughts if you decide to reply!

HasAnswers

Sep 13, 2013
✟15,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I think it's okay for a Hobby. But watch out when it becomes an addiction - if you're checking your tumblr/site etc for replies numerous times during the day and thinking of replies in your free moments it can get dangerous. I know, I've been through it.

Pascal mentioned about how theater and things like that can take hold of the imagination so they're the most dangerous thing of all to a Christian walk.

It can be fun, but be careful and always put God first.

Upvote 0

Lee Fey

Lieutenant
Jan 20, 2004
New York
✟15,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd also say that romantic role playing is probably most okay between people in romantic relationships. I've played one on one with my wife, and in that circumstance, it would be fine. I can tell you from experience that role playing romance with someone else who is in a relationship is awkward. I know it's been weird when I've role played relationships with others extramaritally, it's made me and my wife weird, and I would advise against it.

Upvote 0