Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Over the past few days have been talking with my husband and our children (teenagers) about converting. My husband said to the kids that it would make him happy but it is something that they have to do for themselves, not him!! The same apply's for me.
My concern though is, I have liberal, moderate and conservative opinions on certain matters, for example:

Liberal: I am for SS marriages and unions
Moderate: I believe in hard work and education and push those believes onto our children
Conservative: I believe one should wait to have sex until they are in love with someone who loves them and plans on staying with them...ie marriage/union.

Would those opinions keep me from being able to convert if I ever decided to do so??

Thank you in advance and please no aurguing or putting down others...Im just curious :)

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Over the past few days have been talking with my husband and our children (teenagers) about converting. My husband said to the kids that it would make him happy but it is something that they have to do for themselves, not him!! The same apply's for me.
My concern though is, I have liberal, moderate and conservative opinions on certain matters, for example:

Moderate: I believe in hard work and education and push those believes onto our children
Conservative: I believe one should wait to have sex until they are in love with someone who loves them and plans on staying with them...ie marriage/union.

Would those opinions keep me from being able to convert if I ever decided to do so??

Thank you in advance and please no aurguing or putting down others...Im just curious :)

Well when converting to the Fullness of truth that the Catholic Church has one needs to realize that Christ Catholic faith does not promote or tolerate ss Marraige or union. It actually goes against the most sacred theology of the body found in Gen 1-3 that Pope John Paul taught and that makes up the Catholic truth on sexuality. It is deep as denying it means denying the truth about sexuality that Christ came to die for and that shows us as images of the blessed Trinity.

So there is that issue that you would need to work through. Remember we convert because we beleive we found Christ truth and Christ true Church not because we like the music or just something about the religion.

Conversion biblcially is a death process according to Jesus. So that opinion you hold on ss marriage or relationships will have to die on the cross as you will have to sacrifice that to be his true follower in Christ One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

I hope that helps. God bless you on your journey. do not be afraid to take up your cross and die to yourself for conversion to Christ and his Church. the rewards are eternal life and a wonderful life on earth.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
the Church is very big
it is bigger then conservative and liberal
there is room for many differant political mindsets in the Church
but marriage is as much a moral institution as it is a political institution (using the ancient meaning of the word "political" as life in the polis or city)

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Well, you'd only want to join the Church if you believed that it was the Church that Christ founded and you believe Her to be inerrant in Her teachings on matters of Faith and Morals. It isn't so much that your current opinions would bar you from joining as it is that you don't yet believe the Church to be what She says She is. Once you bridge that gap, the rest should fall into place nicely.

Upvote 0

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Well, you'd only want to join the Church if you believed that it was the Church that Christ founded and you believe Her to be inerrant in Her teachings on matters of Faith and Morals. It isn't so much that your current opinions would bar you from joining as it is that you don't yet believe the Church to be what She says She is. Once you bridge that gap, the rest should fall into place nicely.

Hmm. I was schooled Catholic (elementary) and as we have ancestors that were strict Catholics and relatives that are still Catholic (some strict, some not strict). I don't know if that has any bearing, but I was raised with alot of RC tradition...which I have also handed down our children...as tradition is important to me...
I will admit that I struggle with God, question whether or not there is a God, but in the end I still believe in a higher power.
Maybe this is important to me for my husband?? Im questioning myself on that right now...as he said though its something I have to do on my own for myself, not for him. Sorry...just pondering out loud...:confused:

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hmm. I was schooled Catholic (elementary) and as we have ancestors that were strict Catholics and relatives that are still Catholic (some strict, some not strict). I don't know if that has any bearing, but I was raised with alot of RC tradition...which I have also handed down our children...as tradition is important to me...
I will admit that I struggle with God, question whether or not there is a God, but in the end I still believe in a higher power.
Maybe this is important to me for my husband?? Im questioning myself on that right now...as he said though its something I have to do on my own for myself, not for him. Sorry...just pondering out loud...:confused:

No problem. Struggling with doubrs and uncertainties alone is not enough to get you the boot from the Catholic Church. I advise you to make an appointment to speak to your local Priest and lay it all on the line at that meeting. Just call the parish office, they'll be able to set something up.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What does the church say she is? The bride...yes...anything else though....
The RC is the original Christian Church...the Protestant Churches broke off of the RC...

Right, but moreover, the Church claims to have the power to bind and loose, handed to Peter from Christ and on down through the Popes who succeeded Peter. Catholics believe that the Church is quite literally incapable of being errant in formal teachings. This doesn't mean that persons in the Church, including Popes haven't sometimes said or done terrible things, they have....it just means that on topics like gay marriage, abortion, etc, the Catholic is expected to believe as the Church teaches as if it came from the mouth of Christ Himself. Again though - simply having doubts or a lack of clear understanding why the Church teaches what She does is not an automatic impediment to being a Catholic. A Catholic can say "I don't get why the Church teaches that X, that makes no sense to me." but they really ought not hold the belief that the Church is ever wrong in something She teaches.

...again though, talk to a Priest - He'll likely say it better than I.

Reactions: Athanasias
Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What does the church say she is? The bride...yes...anything else though....
The RC is the original Christian Church...the Protestant Churches broke off of the RC...

She is also the voice by which the world hear Christ !

"He who hears you hears me and he who rejects you rejects me"(Luke 10:16)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

This is not a liberal issue it's a civil rights issue. There are many, many conservatives supporting the free to marry.

The education of our children and the belief in working is a liberal issue.

Liberals are not libertines. Many liberals would agree with ou.

No

Upvote 0

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
This is not a liberal issue it's a civil rights issue. There are many, many conservatives supporting the free to marry.

The education of our children and the belief in working is a liberal issue.

Liberals are not libertines. Many liberals would agree with ou.

No

I like your post, but really need to ask...what are libertines?

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I like your post, but really need to ask...what are libertines?

A libertine is a type of citrus fruit, similar to a tangerine only with the flavor of a rum and coke with a lime.

(Ok, that was a really seriously inside joke, sorry)

Libertine:

A libertine is one devoid of most moral restraints, which are seen as unnecessary or undesirable, especially one who ignores or even spurns accepted morals and forms of behaviour sanctified by the larger society. Libertines place value on physical pleasures, meaning those experienced through the senses.

Upvote 0

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
A libertine is a type of citrus fruit, similar to a tangerine only with the flavor of a rum and coke with a lime.

(Ok, that was a really seriously inside joke, sorry)

Libertine:

A libertine is one devoid of most moral restraints, which are seen as unnecessary or undesirable, especially one who ignores or even spurns accepted morals and forms of behaviour sanctified by the larger society. Libertines place value on physical pleasures, meaning those experienced through the senses.

lol :)

Thank you and thankyou to the other posters...
Am seriously considering converting....may take awhile as need to ponder somewhat more, though really, does pondering ever stop? ;)

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2008
Orkney, Scotland
✟10,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
lol :)

Thank you and thankyou to the other posters...
Am seriously considering converting....may take awhile as need to ponder somewhat more, though really, does pondering ever stop? ;)

I am a convert myself, and came into the Catholic faith Christmas Eve 1996. Before then I was CofE but had considered being a Catholic since my late teens or early twenties (in 96 I was 39!) but was pleased when the struggle was ovwer. I don't the the pondering ever stops which is good, it means that you are testing your faith. Remember, PRAYER, ask God for that guidence that you are obviously seeking. People can answer many questions and advise but it is only God that can give you the answer you seek.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Perhaps speak to a priest and he should be able to gauge you to the true answers rather than putting up a wall - it's best to learn than teach in matters of God.

Peace be with you.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hetero is not only natural - and offers the only way God intended but God took Adam's rib and made a woman - and as she came from his side - so shall they be the perfect union.
God took His own characteristics and divided them up - so the male would be one part of His nature and the woman would be the other part. Thus they compliment one another - hence they become ONE in marriage.
They become One in God - and when you really think about it - it's awesome how He set it up that way.

Homo - meaning same - is non complimentary and God did not intend for it - and why that type of situation cannot reproduce children - again how the couple becomes ONE. The two come together and co create another.
In that way - we do the job God created for us...together.
Peace

Upvote 0