Rom 9:10-13 Categorical Election

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Categorical Election

Rom 9:10-13 Not only that, but Rebekah’s children had one and the same father, our father Isaac. Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad— in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: not by works but by him who calls— she was told, "The older will serve the younger." (Gen 25:23) Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated." (Mal 1:2)

This would imply that God shows partiality. But since the scriptures are clear that God does not show partiality, "For there is no partiality with God" Rom 2:11, what are these two categories alluded to as analogous to Jacob and Esau? The same of which Paul spoke of previously concerning the two sons of Abraham, namely Isaac and Ishmael. Esau was the older, representative of Judaism which was the forerunner of Christianity which represents Jacob. Just as Paul also spoke of Sarah and Hagar saying, "these things may be taken figuratively, for the women represent two covenants." Gal 4:24 These are two covenants. The "older" brother represents the Old Covenant. And the younger brother represents the New Covenant. The Old Covenant is subservient to the New. And before these covenants even came into being, God determined the outcome. God determines the requirements to be saved. In a sense God hates the Old Covenant in that he "wants all men to be saved" 1Tim 2:4a, but no one will be saved under the Old as no one lives up to its requirements. "Say to them, ‘As I live!’ declares the Lord GOD, ‘I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked" Eze 33:11a The Old Covenant is about God's wrath, His hatred of sin, just as the context of the quote from Malachi indicates is the case with Esau.

"Yet I have loved Jacob, but Esau I have hated, and I have turned his mountains into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the desert jackals." Edom may say, "Though we have been crushed, we will rebuild the ruins." But this is what the LORD Almighty says: "They may build, but I will demolish. They will be called the Wicked Land, a people always under the wrath of the LORD." Malachi 1:2-4

Edom, by the way, was the land of Esau. And by the way, Esau married daughters of Ishamael just to spite his parents. So there's a lot of connections in all these analogies.

God loves the New Covenant - God preordained that Christ would die for sins, making salvation available freely who all who would believe. "He (Christ) indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world" 1Peter 1:20a Thus seeing as God planned out the New Covenant, it could be said that Jesus was "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." Rev 13:8b And Jesus himself said to the Father, "You loved Me before the foundation of the world." John 17:24c, much like it says, "Jacob I loved".

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources