Rom 9:1-4a Sorrow for Unbelievers

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Sorrow for Unbelievers

Rom 9:1-4a I speak the truth in Christ— I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit— I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race, the people of Israel.

Contrary to the anti-semitic attitude some who allege faith in Christ have had historically, Paul, himself being a Jew, along with Christ, shows a great deal of compassion to his fellow countrymen who remain unbelievers, despite having receive unbelievably harsh treatment from them. "Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned" 2Cor 11:24,25

In contrast is, for example, Martin Luther, an alleged pillar of the reformation who among other things writes in his book, "The Jews and their Lies", "I shall give you my sincere advice: First to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn ... Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed ... Third, I advise that all their prayer books and Talmudic writings, in which such idolatry, lies, cursing and blasphemy are taught, be taken from them ... Fourth, I advise that their rabbis be forbidden to teach henceforth on pain of loss of life and limb ... Fifth, I advise that safeconduct on the highways be abolished completely for the Jews" And he goes on and on with unbelievably anti-semetic statements. I mention this because much as many Christians pledge allegiance to certain post-Biblical theologians, post-Biblical Christianity, even to the present day, has failed in many ways to reflect Biblical Christianity.

And what could be said of Jews could likewise be said of Muslims. As Christians we should experience sorrow and anguish in our hearts on their behalf, desiring all such people to be saved, despite Christians being treated with hostility by them. In fact Paul goes one step further. A step of which I doubt any Christian I know would take. If you could trade your salvation in for the salvation of those around you who have treated you with hostility, would you do it? Would you be willing to suffer eternal damnation in hell so that your enemies could go to heaven? That's what Paul is saying here.

It is important to note Paul's attitude here. For chapters 9 to 11 have historically been misread to advocate a fatalistic and uncompassionate view towards Jews in particular and more generally towards those outside the faith, which is contrary to much of what Paul is saying in these chapters.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

Reactions: Chris35