Rom 8:38,39 Eternally Secure

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Eternally Secure

Rom 8:38,39 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Our salvation is secure
regardless of circumstances
regardless of what authority figures say and do to us
regardless of time (present and future). For if we have been saved, that fact will never change.
regardless of any created thing (which includes ourselves since we ourselves have been created)

Now in particular there those who would say that while no one nor anything can change our salvation status, we can decide to depart from the faith and thus lose our salvation status. In fact that never actually occurs in that perseverance is one of the effects of being born of God and thus John could say what he did in 1John 2:19 and 1John 3:9. But even here in this passage the doctrine of Eternal Security is validated. For notice the phrase "neither present nor future". Thus the salvation status of the elect is independent of time, which is the "eternal" in "eternal security". Once saved, always saved, because nothing in the present nor in the future can separate such a person from the love of God. Furthermore it says "nor anything else in all creation". Well isn't the individual themselves part of the creation? This again validates the point that even the individual themselves, having been saved, cannot do anything that would cause them to lose that salvation status.

By analogy some Christians view their relationship with Christ as an Old Testament marriage in which divorce annuls the marriage. But not according to the New Testament, which says, "A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives." 1Cor 7:39 And again, "by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive." Rom 7:2 And thus the vow of the Christian marriage is "till death do us part", not "till divorce do us part." And thus even if the elect hypothetically wanted to divorce Christ, they don't have the legal right to do so. There is no way for the elect to annul their marriage to Christ, even if they wanted to. And thus our glorious destiny is certain. For God makes the rules and has eliminated any possibility that those who are have been saved should be lost. "This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing." John 6:39a

For more on eternal security see http://www.bcbsr.com/topics/etsec.html

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

• Informative
Reactions: -57