Rom 8:26,27 The Spirit Intercedes

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟193,956.00
Faith
Christian
The Spirit Intercedes

Rom 8:26,27 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.

"For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man’s spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us." 1Cor 2:11,12

To pray for the kinds of things we should pray for is contrary to our human nature. Compare the kinds of prayers most prevalent in the New Testament to that which dominate the prayers of Christians today. What dominates prayer today are issues of health and material concern, which is what our human nature obsesses about. But much as those are legitimate things to pray about, to pray spiritually we must first realize that we don't know what we ought to pray for. And thus we shouldn't so much ask as to what we want to pray for, but rather what God would have us pray for. "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" Pr 3:5

Nonetheless, though we neglect to pray for what we ought, the Spirit compensates for our deficiencies. For in living the Christian life we are never alone. But God wants us to walk in understanding. Thus Paul says, "I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind." 1Cor 14:15

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

Reactions: Charlie24