Rom 4:18,19 Believe God Despite the Circumstances

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟193,956.00
Faith
Christian
Believe God Despite the Circumstances

Rom 4:18,19 Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, "So shall your offspring be." (Gen 15:5) Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead— since he was about a hundred years old— and that Sarah’s womb was also dead.

Christian hope is the feeling of anticipation of that which we believe will come to pass based upon the promise of God, and that despite contrary circumstances. However with regards to Abraham, over time his understanding of the promise grew along with his faith being strengthened. For at first he didn't understand that the promise was with regards to his wife Sarah having a son. Consequently Sarah suggested he have a son through her handmaiden Hagar, which in the long run led to the Arab/Israeli conflict. But in Gen 17 God also said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her." Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, "Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?" And Abraham said to God, "If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!" Then God said, "Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him." Gen 17:15-19

So we see that Abraham's faith was not without skepticism, but in the end he believed God. Likewise the Christian should seek to understand the promise of God, not avoiding the implications.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believe God Despite the Circumstances

Rom 4:18,19 Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, "So shall your offspring be." (Gen 15:5) Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead— since he was about a hundred years old— and that Sarah’s womb was also dead.

Christian hope is the feeling of anticipation of that which we believe will come to pass based upon the promise of God, and that despite contrary circumstances. However with regards to Abraham, over time his understanding of the promise grew along with his faith being strengthened. For at first he didn't understand that the promise was with regards to his wife Sarah having a son. Consequently Sarah suggested he have a son through her handmaiden Hagar, which in the long run led to the Arab/Israeli conflict. But in Gen 17 God also said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her." Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, "Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?" And Abraham said to God, "If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!" Then God said, "Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him." Gen 17:15-19

So we see that Abraham's faith was not without skepticism, but in the end he believed God. Likewise the Christian should seek to understand the promise of God, not avoiding the implications.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

Amen.

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0