bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Scripture Invokes Endurance and Encouragement

Rom 15:3-4
For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: "The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me." (Ps 69:9) For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2Tim 3:16,17 The Old Testament has relevance to the Christian life, though one must be careful how one interprets and applies the scriptures. For example twice Paul quotes Deut 25:4 "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.", applying it to the Christian life as also he does a number of historical events applying them allegorically to the Christian life.

In particular notice this quote from Ps 69. While Paul applies this as a messianic prophecy speaking of Christ, in fact as is the case with many such prophecies from the book of Psalms, the larger context is speaking of a sinner, namely King David. For example Ps 69:5 "You know my folly, O God; my guilt is not hidden from you." But in the middle of his prayer he will speak prophetically as if the Lord Jesus were speaking, "For I endure scorn for your sake, and shame covers my face. I am a stranger to my brothers, an alien to my own mother’s sons; for zeal for your house consumes me, and the insults of those who insult you fall on me." Ps 69:7-9 And what is Christ's experience often turns out to be the Christian experience as well. And when you suffer for Christ and for the zeal for his Church, don't expect to find a sympathetic ear. For the Psalmist goes on, "I looked for someone to take pity, but there was none; And for comforters, but I found none. They also gave me gall for my food, And for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink." Ps 69:20,21 That is also what Christ suffered, and what you may suffer when you follow him.

"Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified." Acts 20:32

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources