bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Each Accountable to God

Rom 14:10-12
You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. It is written: "’As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.’" (Is 45:23) So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.

In 1Cor 5 Paul commands we judge fellow Christians, "I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. 'Expel the wicked man from among you.'" 1Cor 5:11-13 But when he speaks of judging one's brother here in Romans 14 he is not talking about the indisputable issues as he as talking about in 1Cor 5, things like sexually immorality, greed, slander, and drunkenness. But rather here in Romans 14 he's referring to disputable matters - ceremonial matters, "holy days", what you eat, and the like.

More generally what is implied here is that the Lord has called us to a diversity of ministries the particulars of which are often a matter of personal preference in accordance with the freedom and giftedness the Lord has granted each one of us. In contrast are many an immature Christian who judges other Christians on the basis that these others aren't doing the same ministry as they are, or aren't doing it in the same way as they do it.

Whatever our giftedness or ministry calling "we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad." 2Cor 5:9,10

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources