bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Vices: Part 4

Rom 1:31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful;

"Undiscerning", which is to say "foolish" or "stupid" as the lexicon indicates. This word was used a few verses ago where Paul says, "their foolish hearts were darkened." Rom 1:21c But Jesus even used to with regards to his disciples at times, like when Peter has him to describe the meaning of a parable Jesus responded, "Are you also still without understanding?" Mt 15:16 More generally, "the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1Cor 2:14

"Untrustworthy" here is literally "to break an agreement" For example the breaking of the marriage vow would be an example of this. Likewise when one borrows money but refuses to pay it back. "The wicked borrows and does not repay" Ps 37:21a

"Unloving" is "without natural affection". A natural affection would be, for example, the parent's affection for their children. Such is the case even in the animal kingdom. Yet there are those without this natural affection due to the hardness of their hearts which is a result of their not glorifying God as God nor giving thanks to Him.

"Unforgiving" is implacable - impossible to appease - one who refuses to agree to any terms or suggestions of peace. It implies a state of war, and a refusal of covenant or even of armistice to end it permanently or temporarily. In contrast the Christian is commanded to seek reconciliation in our relationships, be they with man or God. "God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation." 2Cor 5:19

"Unmerciful" means what it says. It's a person who doesn't exercise mercy. In contrast the Bible says, "Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy." Mt 5:7 and of Jesus, "He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people." Heb 2:17
The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

Reactions: Arc F1

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Vices: Part 4

Rom 1:31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful;

"Undiscerning", which is to say "foolish" or "stupid" as the lexicon indicates. This word was used a few verses ago where Paul says, "their foolish hearts were darkened." Rom 1:21c But Jesus even used to with regards to his disciples at times, like when Peter has him to describe the meaning of a parable Jesus responded, "Are you also still without understanding?" Mt 15:16 More generally, "the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1Cor 2:14

"Untrustworthy" here is literally "to break an agreement" For example the breaking of the marriage vow would be an example of this. Likewise when one borrows money but refuses to pay it back. "The wicked borrows and does not repay" Ps 37:21a

"Unloving" is "without natural affection". A natural affection would be, for example, the parent's affection for their children. Such is the case even in the animal kingdom. Yet there are those without this natural affection due to the hardness of their hearts which is a result of their not glorifying God as God nor giving thanks to Him.

"Unforgiving" is implacable - impossible to appease - one who refuses to agree to any terms or suggestions of peace. It implies a state of war, and a refusal of covenant or even of armistice to end it permanently or temporarily. In contrast the Christian is commanded to seek reconciliation in our relationships, be they with man or God. "God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation." 2Cor 5:19

"Unmerciful" means what it says. It's a person who doesn't exercise mercy. In contrast the Bible says, "Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy." Mt 5:7 and of Jesus, "He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people." Heb 2:17
The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

Forgiveness is the hardest one for me and I think about that every time I'm asking God to forgive me. How can I expect forgiveness if I'm not willing to give it? The path is narrow and easy to fall off of. I just hope God sees me as being more worthy than I see myself.

Upvote 0