Roger Stone calls Black radio host a racial slur on air

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Roger Stone calls Black radio host a racial slur on air
Roger Stone, friend and former campaign adviser to President Donald Trump, called a Black radio host a racial slur on air Saturday while the two debated Stone's federal conviction.

Stone's sentence was commuted by Trump on July 10, just days before he was scheduled to surrender for 40 months of incarceration after he was convicted of witness tampering and making false statements to Congress as it investigated Russia's influence in the 2016 election.

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Roger Stone was a young man that racial slur he is accused of saying was considered the lone respectful way to refer to a black person.

Yes I've seen the word used in that neutral way, even by James Baldwin in some of his writing, and by Che Guevara. But it's the sentence - 'I don't feel like arguing with this _____ '. It's suggestive of a sentiment based on the other person's ethnicity. I doubt if Stone is an out and out hood wearing racist but a slip like that indicates an old school attitude towards skin colour.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes I've seen the word used in that neutral way, even by James Baldwin in some of his writing, and by Che Guevara. But it's the sentence - 'I don't feel like arguing with this _____ '. It's suggestive of a sentiment based in the other person's ethnicity. I doubt if Stone is an out and out hood wearing racist but a slip like that indicates an old school attitude towards skin colour.
I can't imagine him says, "I don't feel like arguing with this white guy."

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes I've seen the word used in that neutral way, even by James Baldwin in some of his writing, and by Che Guevara. But it's the sentence - 'I don't feel like arguing with this _____ '. It's suggestive of a sentiment based in the other person's ethnicity. I doubt if Stone is an out and out hood wearing racist but a slip like that indicates an old school attitude towards skin colour.

On that I concur. It is probably representative of an undeserved attitude of superiority on Stone's part. From the little I have heard the man speak he seems to be full of himself and more than a bit self deluded. I just thought I would point out the fact that the nature of the connotations of the word has changed dramatically from when Stone was young. Even from the time when I was young. In those times calling a person black would have been considered a racial slur and using the word Stone used would have been considered showing proper respect if not for the tone he used. I think we place too much emphasis upon the words and not enough emphasis on attitude. In this case Stone's attitude is IMO the thing he should be most chastised for not just the word he used.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't imagine him says, "I don't feel like arguing with this white guy."

"White guy" is not considered a slur. How about "I don't feel like arguing with this WASP!"

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"White guy" is not considered a slur. How about "I don't feel like arguing with this WASP!"
That was my point, white guy is not a slur and he probably wouldn't have said it to just identify the person he didn't want to argue with.
Using the word he used probably wasn't used just to identify the person he didn't want to argue with as being a black person.
I think your post #9 speaks directly to the problem.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Using the antiquated term "negro" doesn't necessarily suggest racism, but when you call a person you're currently talking to "this negro" it speaks for itself. It's like calling a black man "boy"; there is nothing wrong with the word "boy", but there certainly is when you speak in a condescending way to a black male.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Using the antiquated term "negro" doesn't necessarily suggest racism, but when you call a person you're currently talking to "this negro" it speaks for itself. It's like calling a black man "boy"; there is nothing wrong with the word "boy", but there certainly is when you speak in a condescending way to a black male.

Mostly agree with this. the only slight difference is that "boy" was never considered a respectful thing to call a black male while at one time to refer to a black person using the word in question was the progressive and respectful thing to do. However, in this case there is no confusion about Stone's attitude toward the person he was referring to.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
When Roger Stone was a young man that racial slur he is accused of saying was considered the lone respectful way to refer to a black person.

As recently as ten years ago it was used by the US Census...

...and the United Negro College Fund still exists.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

It's all about context, and Stone is plainly in the wrong.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That’s true if ‘back then’ you/he were referring to an actual person but in the context of his sentence usage it’s synonymous with slave.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

"This negro" was on the US Census? And why does he scoff at having to discuss a topic with a negro? What does his race have to do with their discussion?

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is what I imagine a post from the President would look like if he were a member of CF.
I would expect he get would get banned from most online forums. He would violate their basic civility rules.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
It was never respectful to use it that way. Besides, everyone knows better know--he certainly does. No excuses for racism.

Upvote 0