Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The restoration of full communion between the two parts of the Russian Orthodox Church scheduled for 17 May
May 15: His Eminence Metropolitan Laurus, primate of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR), arrived in Moscow with clergymen, the combined ROCOR choir and pilgrims from the USA. Later that day His Eminence met with His Holiness Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia.
May 16: On the Leavetaking of Pascha, His Eminence Metropolitan Laurus prays during Divine Liturgy in Danilov Monastery, then visits Donskoy Monastery, where he prays at the relics of Saint Tikhon, Patriarch and Confessor of All Russia; and views the holy items of the monastery and cemetery. During the solemn evening vigil, His Eminence prays at Sretensky Monastery, and the combined choir under Peter A. Fekula attends Bolshoy Voznesensky Cathedral, where Patriarch Alexy officiates.
May 17: On the feast day of the Ascension of the Lord, the ceremony of the signing of the Act of Canonical Communion will take place in Christ the Savior Cathedral followed by the first joint divine service celebrated by the hierarchs and clergymen of the Russian Church Abroad and of the Moscow Patriarchate.
The greeting of the First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will take place at 9:15 at Christ the Savior Cathedral.
The arrival of His Holiness Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia is scheduled to take place at 9:30. During the greeting of His Holiness, the festal prayers will be sung by the choir of the Holy Trinity-St Sergius Lavra and the choir of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. Then His Holiness will read the prayer for the unity of the Church. The decrees of the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia and of the Holy Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate on the confirmation of the Act of Canonical Communion will be read, followed by the reading of the Act itself. The Primate of the Moscow Patriarchate and the President of the Synod of the Russian Church Abroad will then sign the Act; following this, Many Years will be sung. After the signing of the Act, His Holiness, in concelebration with Metropolitan Laurus and the other bishops will conduct Divine Liturgy. Upon the conclusion of Liturgy, His Holiness will read a prayer of gratitude, after which the Primates of the two parts of the Russian Orthodox Church will exchange greetings.
This will be followed by the opening of an exhibition on the life of the Russian Orthodox Church inside and outside of Russia in the 20th and 21st centuries, the Holy New Martyrs and the dialog process which led to ecclesiastical unity.
At 6 pm that evening there will be a press conference in Danilovsky Hotel given by His Eminence Archbishop Mark of Berlin and Germany and His Eminence Archbishop Hilarion of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand.
May 18: Part of the official delegation, headed by His Eminence Archbishop Kyrill of San Francisco and Western America, and including the clergymen-pilgrims from different dioceses of ROCOR as well as pilgrims from the USA, will travel to Holy Trinity-St Sergius Lavra and the Orthodox Icon center "Sofrino."
May 19: His Holiness Patriarch Alexy will concelebrate with His Eminence Metropolitan Laurus, the bishops and clergymen of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia and of the Moscow Patriarchate at the great consecration of the Church of the Holy New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia in Butovo Field, followed by Divine Liturgy. His Holiness and His Eminence both participated in the consecration of the foundation of this church in May of 2004, during the first official visit by Metropolitan Laurus to Russia.
May 20: On the 7th Sunday of Pascha, His Holiness and His Eminence, the bishops and priests of the Russian Church Abroad will celebrate Divine Liturgy in Uspensky Cathedral in Moscow's Kremlin.
Participating in the Moscow part of the schedule will be the following bishops, clergymen and guests of His Eminence Metropolitan Laurus:
Bishops
+Mark, Archbishop of Berlin and Germany
+Hilarion, Archbishop of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand
+Kyrill , Archbishop of San Francisco and Western America
+Evtikhii, Bishop of Ishim and Siberia
+Michael , Bishop of Geneva and Western Europe
+Peter, Bishop of Cleveland, Administrator of the Diocese of Chicago and Mid-America
Members of the Commission on talks with the Moscow Patriarchate
Archimandrite Luke (Murianka), Deputy Dean of Holy Trinity Seminary, Jordanville
Mitred Protopriest Alexander Lebedeff, Rector of Holy Transfiguration Cathedral in Los Angeles, Secretary of the Commission
Protopriest Nikolai Artemoff, Senior Priest of the Cathedral of the Holy New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia, Secretary of the Diocese of Berlin and Germany
Members of the Pre-Council Committee for the IV All-Diaspora Council
Protopriest Victor Potapov, Rector of St John the Baptist Cathedral, Washington DC.
Protopriest Peter Perekrestov, Senior Priest of the Cathedral of the Mother of God "Joy of All Who Sorrow" in San Francisco, Secretary of the Diocese of San Francisco and Western America
Priest Serafim Gan, Rector of St Seraphim Church, Sea Cliff, NY, Personal Secretary of the First Hierarch
Protopriest Peter Holodny, Treasurer of the Synod of Bishops
The First Hierarch's attendants
Protodeacon Victor Lochmatov
Deacon Eugene Kallaur
Deacon Nicholas Olhovsky
Subdeacon George Shatiloff
George Selinsky
Pavel Vladimirovich Lisitsin
Clerical pilgrims, representing various dioceses of the Russian Church Abroad
Mitred Protopriest Alexander Fedorovsky (Diocese of Eastern America and New York)
Mitred Protopriest George Larin (Diocese of Eastern America and New York)
Protopriest John Shaw (Diocese of Chicago and Mid-America)
Protopriest Michael Protopopov (Diocese of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand)
Protopriest Michael Goudkov (Diocese of Geneva and Western Europe)
Protopriest Alexei Kotar (Diocese of San Francisco and Western America)
Protopriest Yaroslav Belikov (Diocese of San Francisco and Western America)
Protopriest Vladimir Boikov (Diocese of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand)
Hieromonk Roman (Krassovsky) (Holy Trinity Monastery, Jordanville)
Hieromonk Nicholas (Perekrestov) (Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem )
Priest Victor Boldewskul (representing the Rector of Epiphany Church in Boston, Mitred Protopriest Roman Lukianov)
Priest John Whiteford (Diocese of Chicago and Mid-America)
Priest Andre Sikojeff (Diocese of Berlin and Germany)
Archdeacon Eugene Burbelo (Synodal Cathedral of Our Lady of the Sign, NY)
Abbess Elizabeth (St Mary Magdalene Convent, Gethsemane)
Abbess Moisseia (Ascension of the Lord Convent, Mount of Olives)
May 21: His Eminence Metropolitan Laurus will perform all-night vigil along with Archbishop German of Kursk and Schema-Metropolitan Yuvenaly in Znamensky Cathedral in Kursk.
May 22: On the Translation of the Relics of St Nicholas the Wonderworker, His Eminence will participate in the Divine Liturgy in Kursk-Root Hermitage.
May 23-28: His Eminence will perform a pilgrimage to the holy sites of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, which will conclude with a celebration of Divine Liturgy at Holy Trinity Cathedral in Pochaev Lavra, built and consecrated by His Eminence Metropolitan Anthony (Khrapovitsky) of blessed memory. His Eminence will be accompanied on his trip to Kursk and Ukraine by Fr Serafim, Protodeacon Victor, Deacon Eugene, Deacon Nicholas, Subdeacon George, Pavel Vladimirovich Lisitsin and George Selinsky.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

authiodionitist

Oct 12, 2006
Seattle
✟8,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've asked this before, but now that reunion is imminent, what will happen to the Old Believers that joined the ROCOR ?
Economia. All in all right now very little will change other than concelebration and communion.
Example, me going to confession with my spiritual father won't count the next weekend when I attend the local ROCOR church. So if I want to partake at the ROCOR church I will have to have two priests who I go to confession with. It's rather annoying but I don't want two spiritual fathers and I'll just deal even if it means partaking less frequently. Of course I can always trot over to the Greek church...

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Economia. All in all right now very little will change other than concelebration and communion.

Is it true that some ROCOR bishops aren't going to permit concelebration? I've been asking but nobody is giving me a straight answer. And I know some people in ROCOR are choosing to go into schism rather than accept the intercommunion.

Example, me going to confession with my spiritual father won't count the next weekend when I attend the local ROCOR church. So if I want to partake at the ROCOR church I will have to have two priests who I go to confession with. It's rather annoying but I don't want two spiritual fathers and I'll just deal even if it means partaking less frequently. Of course I can always trot over to the Greek church...

Ugh!

I had been thinking about going to the ROCOR church at some point now that we're in communion, but this, and the thing about concelebration above, make me kind of skittish. Why should a ROCOR priest's confession be any more special or holy than going to an Antiochian or OCA priest?

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank God.

I just wish all the hatred, mistrust, and bitterness could be rectified so easily, though.
It 2will be over time. on the lay level there is a lot more trust and a lot less bitterness than on the clerical level. These priests will soon have 1) a change of heart or 2) realistically, they will leave this earth in a generation. Honestyly, on the lay level, most MP and ROCOR want this desperately, at least in the diaspora. I would be curious about how this is going in Russia.

I am elated... absolutely elated that we are finally one. That tomorrow, if I wanted, I could go to any ROCOR Church and, assuming the priest considers me as having prepared properly, partake at the Church. The politics is messed up and todays reunion will not fix all of that iun a snap, but I hope as Orthodox we can learn from this that politics is never a good reason to separate or keep separated. It's down right stupidity. The Holy Spirit was truly at work in the hearts of the men on both sides. Praise God!

John

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why two priests?

I'm a little confused on this one.:scratch:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.