Rochester Police officers handcuff and pepper-spray a 9-year-old girl after call of 'family trouble'

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Something that can't be emphasized enough in this day and age where so much of our exposure to reality is being mediated through corporations that don't necessarily have our best interests at heart. Sensation = ad revenue, and sensation is value judgement free.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,987.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"Mental health crisis"... that's some kind of euphemism now that bears out further scrutiny: its being used to gloss over intolerable behaviors that violate other peoples rights.

You have no right to make your mental health crisis other peoples crisis.

Further scrutiny? Yes, but I should have thought that the crisis evident in American policing in this video recording is urgent. We could debate about theoretical rights all day.

Meanwhile, in the actual world the immediate issue is of armed policemen dragging out a nine year old child who is crying 'I want my dad!' over and over and who gets pepper spray in the face instead.

I say again: that was child abuse. Don't American police have any training? Not that it requires training to recognise how wrong these officers were.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Further scrutiny? Yes, but I should have thought that the crisis evident in American policing in this video recording is urgent. We could debate about theoretical rights all day.

Meanwhile, in the actual world the immediate issue is of armed policemen dragging out a nine year old child who is crying 'I want my dad!' over and over and who gets pepper spray in the face instead.

I say again: that was child abuse. Don't American police have any training? Not that it requires training to recognise how wrong these officers were.

How do you know it's "child abuse"? According to reports, the child was threatening violence. I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt to law enforcement, considering I wasn't there to see it first hand.

Police are allowed to inflict pain to induce compliance, and there's nothing immoral or illegal in doing so. Pepper spray is a relatively low risk way of getting a measure of compliance out of a suspect.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟161,987.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The 'violence' of a nine year old requires two armed police officers, the use of hand-cuffs and pepper spray?

If FireDragon does not recognise this police conduct to be abusive it will be difficult to take anything this Well-known Member writes seriously.

In the UK police are trained to use appropriate force, proportionate to the situation.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The 'violence' of a nine year old requires two armed police officers, the use of hand-cuffs and pepper spray?

If FireDragon does not recognise this police conduct to be abusive it will be difficult to take anything this Well-known Member writes seriously.

In the UK police are trained to use appropriate force, proportionate to the situation.

How can I recognize it as abusive when I wasn't there to observe it? I merely withold judgement, not having expertise in law enforcement.

Otherwise, we put police on trial every try there's an outcry from the hoi polloi about the use of force, and that simply isn't compatible with social stability and order.

Perhaps the problem is that the left in western countries are unable to think about things except in black and white categories. Such as childish notions that police are inherently oppressive or that any use of force is inherently suspect.

Upvote 0