• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Robotic Priests

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by J. King, Oct 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. J. King

J. King New Member

+17
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    Found this train wreck of an article on BBC, and am kinda interested to hear that I'm not alone in being horrified by this. I had to pause it multiple times to make it all the way through. It just made me cringe. Would you find inspiration in a robotic priest? If you were hurting, would you feel comfort in talking to Alexa-priest?

I did like the bit about a program suggesting religious exercises. That seemed like a nice application of the technology, but please promise me that no robot will deliver my eulogy!

God and robots: Will AI transform religion?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Abaxvahl

Abaxvahl Well-Known Member

+692
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    What the Rabbi said in the beginning is also my opinion: "the robot will never replace a Rabbi because it has no soul." The same for a priest with me. (Just finished the video and a Catholic priest said the same thing nearer to the end.)

AI can never have the place of a priest in Catholicism. I don't really see how they'd have more of a role in religion than we already use technology for such as citations, perhaps if the voice was better reading any book for you (if I were hurting I'd have that done), and stuff like that. Delivering a religious exercise suggestion from a list would be cool, there are spiritual books already like that it'd just make it more efficient. But again all of this I think people already use technology for to a large degree and none of it is remotely close to replacing a clergy member.

3. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,117
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Ahahaha! this reminds me of something my son when he was still young told me —that a preacher had to go on a trip but hated for anyone else to preach in his place. So he taped a message and had a picture of himself set up on the pulpit with the tape player, and got one of the elders to turn it on at the correct time in the service. My son said, "That's great! All the parishioners need to do is put pictures in the pews with tape recorders!"

4. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+22,100
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    My first reaction, like most others, was that of course robots can't be priests. But at that point I was thinking robots, not true AI.

True AI raises a lot of questions, questions that I don't think we have answers for right now. Questions that are going to need to be raised, and raised often.

When I say "True AI", I mean more than just "intelligence", but genuine sapience--personhood.

If true, real, artificial life were to exist, I don't think I would be in any position to deny its personhood. And, therefore, its soul.

But I also think that making real, genuine, artificial intelligence is a genuinely bad idea. I've seen The Matrix.

In other words, I would prefer that we not find ourselves in a position where these questions need to have real world applicable answers in the first place. But these are still valuable questions to ask.

-CryptoLutheran

5. Der Alte

Der Alte This is me about 1 yr. old. Supporter

+4,160
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    My previous church, which I served for about 6 years, does something like that. I only left the church because my wife missed hearing the gospel in her native language.
    The church is now part of a small "mega" church group which has 4 campuses. They televise their service at the main campus and transmit it to the other campuses.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Mark Quayle

+3,117
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Watching the video, the thought comes to me that not all religions are the same. Perhaps Buddhism works as a series of "if-then" propositions that can be laid out in a logical format for a robot to operate with. But Christianity doesn't. That was one of my major problems with Christendom when I was in high school, was the realization that we were being led to believe (though not on purpose, certainly) that if we were not experiencing Victorious Christian Living it was because of the lack of one more bit of information to plug into the formulae. I knew at the core, that this was not how Christianity actually works.

7. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+8,676
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    Now we need to build the robot congregation.

8. The IbanezerScrooge

The IbanezerScrooge I can't believe what I'm hearing...

+2,240
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Democrat
    I mean, I think... um.... nevermind.

9. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,599
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    If God had wanted robots, he would have made Adam to be one. AI may transform religion, but it will be all bad.

10. Handmaid for Jesus

Handmaid for Jesus You can't steal my joy Supporter

+30,931
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    The image of the beast will speak.

11. Mark Quayle

+3,117
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    golem?

12. Handmaid for Jesus

+30,931
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    IMHO an AI robot.

13. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Chronic political homeless Supporter

+11,224
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    Must, not, post, Bender memes...

14. Mark Quayle

+3,117
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Can't say I ever considered that. Interesting.

15. Eloy Craft

Eloy Craft Myth only points, Truth happened! Supporter

+727
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Wouldn't a human nature be required to be a priest? Would an imitation suffice?:)

16. Aussie Pete

+6,599
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Yes, it is possible that it will be AI. However, the technology is nowhere near good enough at present.

17. Aussie Pete

+6,599
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    I've met priests that could have passed for robots. Not so sure about the intelligence though.

18. Aussie Pete

+6,599
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    The problem is that human nature cannot be replicated artificially. How could you create an AI sinner? How could it be saved? How could you program conscience? Or free will?

19. Handmaid for Jesus

+30,931
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    IMHO tech has developed farther than the public knows. And to your point, it will not be long before it is good enough. How good do you think it has to be? We know that scientist are working feverishly hard to develop AI and robotics. The future is today. This video is only 8 mins long and worth it.

20. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+22,100
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Like I said, there are a lot of important questions.

-CryptoLutheran