Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Just a few years ago we were struggling just to have them keep their balance. Now they are trotting, galloping, climbing stairs and easily going up hills. In fact, when kicked they easily regain their balance. Absolute amazing!

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wonder when they will be dressed up to look like horses, provided with individual catchy names, placed in hippodromes and have them race one another while bets are being placed. I think I would enjoy seeing that more than I enjoy seeing horses race since all horses tend to look the same while these machines could be made to look very distinct from each other. Electronic products companies could have adds attached. Maybe add a human or a robotic rider with psychedelic lights on their helmets and sparklers attached to tails to spice things up?

Now THAT would be interesting!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Actually, I find this type of machine far less threatening than an AI android. It remains servile and has the psychological advantage of mimicking a pet. Not sure what its carrying capability is at present however. Those legs do seem a bit on the flimsy side. In fact, perhaps enhancing its carrying capabilities will prove just as daunting as the effort to get it to keep its balance initially was. Can't imagine it as anywhere near being able to provide a rodeo experience or challenge. More of perhaps a fun ride at an amusement park for young children. But who knows where this innovation might be in 100 years or so.

BTW
A real pity that such inventions are often more motivated by the desire to gain some military advantage in order to enhance out ability to kill. But at least the fringe benefits from such motives will trickle down to society and assume a more benevolent aspect from what was initially intended.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,620.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's actually very difficult to program mobility. It's all math.

We had a basic course on it back in 2001. Back then the technology was still primitive. I designed and built something that looked like a spider and could climb stairs, walk across soft sand but it was slow.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's actually very difficult to program mobility. It's all math.

We had a basic course on it back in 2001. Back then the technology was still primitive. I designed and built something that looked like a spider and could climb stairs, walk across soft sand but it was slow.
How about the weight-bearing capability of such a contraption? Is it feasible to make one that can carry a rider who weighs 130 pounds at approx. 22 MPH?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,620.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How about the weight-bearing capability of such a contraption? Is it feasible to make one that can carry a rider who weighs 130 pounds at approx. 22 MPH?

Yes, definitely. The structural consideration is the easiest part here. The hardest part is programming balance and movement. It's not impossible to program it either, it's just difficult, but quite attainable.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,183.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Wonder when they will be dressed up to look like horses, provided with individual catchy names, placed in hippodromes and have them race one another while bets are being placed. I think I would enjoy seeing that more than I enjoy seeing horses race since all horses tend to look the same while these machines could be made to look very distinct from each other. Electronic products companies could have adds attached. Maybe add a human or a robotic rider with psychedelic lights on their helmets and sparklers attached to tails to spice things up?

Now THAT would be interesting!
I know right? Horses - BORRRRING!

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,183.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I once met a person who said that he would never enjoy living forever on a paradise Earth because he would get bored having to sit around for all eternity under a tree petting a tiger.

BTW
Not everyone shares your opinion of horses:
http://listverse.com/2014/01/22/10-fascinating-facts-about-horses/

Here is some more for you to tag as boring:
To be fair to horses, it's not just them. I attach lights and sparklers to my girlfriend. And if she starts to tell a story that sounds like it's going over 2 minutes, I got this laser light show that plays on her torso. Otherwise she's just unendurable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
To be fair to horses, it's not just them. I attach lights and sparklers to my girlfriend. And if she starts to tell a story that sounds like it's going over 2 minutes, I got this laser light show that plays on her torso. Otherwise she's just unendurable.

So you are referring to my description of how a mechanical horse race might be ridiculously enhanced via sparklers and psychedelics? LOL! I was using hyperbole. People who go to races to place bets don't need such distractions. They are far too concerned on whether their horse is going to bring in the cash or not. I see absolutely no reason why it should be any different in this futuristic hypothetical case.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
my robotic horse is better.

gallery-1479229542-horizon-zero-dawn-broadheads.jpg

Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Just a few years ago we were struggling just to have them keep their balance. Now they are trotting, galloping, climbing stairs and easily going up hills. In fact, when kicked they easily regain their balance. Absolute amazing!

Awesome!

• Agree
Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, definitely. The structural consideration is the easiest part here. The hardest part is programming balance and movement. It's not impossible to program it either, it's just difficult, but quite attainable.
If weight-bearing capability isn't a problem, why is the weight bearing capacity of the mechanical military mule designed to help take the load off infantry by carrying their extras limited to just nearly 100 pounds?

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Man, you guys would LOSE YOUR MINDS if you saw the mechanical horse I own. It's very advanced, downright lavish. It's got trunk space, a radio, cupholders...
I got that beat! I got that beat! You should see the time machine I have stashed away in my basement! It can accelerate from a few seconds to centuries in just under five clicks. Runs on a double A rechargeable battery too. Only side effect is a copious nosebleed upon temporal arrival which can easily be staunched with generous nasal passage applications of Mother Helena Hubbard's refined baking powder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,620.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If weight-bearing capability isn't a problem, why is the weight bearing capacity of the mechanical military mule designed to help take the load off infantry by carrying their extras limited to just nearly 100 pounds?

The technology is fairly new and probably still experimental. It will get better eventually.

When I built my own legged walker back in 2002, it could not climb steps at first. It took me a week to figure out a solution. Then another week to reduce the weight which significantly increased its speed.

Things take some time to evolve, to improve. In this case, maybe a year or so, we might see some significant progress.

Reactions: Blackmarch
Upvote 0