• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Robbed at knife point

Status
Not open for further replies.

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
About 10 years ago, I was working at a outlet store in Washington St, and me and a co-worker were getting ready to lock the doors and close the store up and a man with a motorcycle helmet came in and pulled a knife out on me, and demanded everything out of the register. I thought it was a joke at first, so I asked him if he wanted our rolled change as well.. I know not a very smart move on my part.
After he got all the cash out of the registers he made us crouch down and followed us to the backroom while still holding the knife to us.
We got into the back of the store, and he was standing right in front of our safe, lucky for us, he didnt see it. He then proceeded to try and tie us up, with the only thing I can describe it as, is those plastic things that police use to tie someone up when they are not cooperating with them.
He couldnt figure out how to do this, so he made us try and tie up each other..Doesnt appear that he was very smart.
He told us not to leave the backroom for 10 minutes, I was so deathly afraid that he was still in the store waiting to see if we were going to wait the 10 minutes, but lucky he sped off.
We were un-harmed and I am so thankful for that, but it has left a damaging effect on me still today. I am afraid to go out at night by myelf I hardly ever go out, unless I absolutely have too.
I'm afraid of being kidnapped and or something terrible will happen to me. I have such bad anxiety's.
The man was never caught, and as far as I know the police were not able to generate any leads on this guy.

Evee

May 1, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟11,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
allieisme said:
About 10 years ago, I was working at a outlet store in Washington St, and me and a co-worker were getting ready to lock the doors and close the store up and a man with a motorcycle helmet came in and pulled a knife out on me, and demanded everything out of the register. I thought it was a joke at first, so I asked him if he wanted our rolled change as well.. I know not a very smart move on my part.
After he got all the cash out of the registers he made us crouch down and followed us to the backroom while still holding the knife to us.
We got into the back of the store, and he was standing right in front of our safe, lucky for us, he didnt see it. He then proceeded to try and tie us up, with the only thing I can describe it as, is those plastic things that police use to tie someone up when they are not cooperating with them.
He couldnt figure out how to do this, so he made us try and tie up each other..Doesnt appear that he was very smart.
He told us not to leave the backroom for 10 minutes, I was so deathly afraid that he was still in the store waiting to see if we were going to wait the 10 minutes, but lucky he sped off.
We were un-harmed and I am so thankful for that, but it has left a damaging effect on me still today. I am afraid to go out at night by myelf I hardly ever go out, unless I absolutely have too.
I'm afraid of being kidnapped and or something terrible will happen to me. I have such bad anxiety's.
The man was never caught, and as far as I know the police were not able to generate any leads on this guy.
It does have a lasting effect I was robbed at a convenience store close to 20 years ago and I never forgot his words or looks.
He said a pack of marlboro
they were behind me, When I turned back around he had a gun in my face.
I was so scared I jammed the cash register.
He said you better open it up do you want to get shot?
I just prayed and it opened.
He took the money and led me to the freezer he made me stay in the freezer and told me not to come out for 10 minutes also.
I was like you afraid he might still be in the store... I was freezing.
I still recall as if it was yesterday.
You are too young to have to live like that it makes me sick how someone like this can change our lives forever.
I will pray God gives you peace.:prayer:

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is a horrifying experience in itself as well. Did they ever catch the guy?
I think for the most part I am scared to death, not because I think he will come after me, nor know where I live now, but its the fact that he was wearing a motorcycle helmet to cover his face, and that he was never caught.
:prayer:ing for you too

Upvote 0

Evee

May 1, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟11,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
allieisme said:
That is a horrifying experience in itself as well. Did they ever catch the guy?
I think for the most part I am scared to death, not because I think he will come after me, nor know where I live now, but its the fact that he was wearing a motorcycle helmet to cover his face, and that he was never caught.
:prayer:ing for you too
No they never did catch him this was on halloween night but he wore no mask.
In the town I am from they never catch hard criminals.
Been a few murders this year and they have no catches yet.
I now live in a small town in another state but plan on going back in the early summer.
My family is there.
Small towns has its share of crime also.:(

Upvote 0
T

TheMilkman

Evee said:
No they never did catch him this was on halloween night but he wore no mask.
In the town I am from they never catch hard criminals.
Been a few murders this year and they have no catches yet.
I now live in a small town in another state but plan on going back in the early summer.
My family is there.
Small towns has its share of crime also.:(

I live in a very small town too. It is fairly safe here and I'm worried at while walking around town at night. The majority of the crime here is the police busting non-violent drug users.

I hope that some day you will be able to overcome your fear from this event. Perhaps you should look into therapy? It has never helped me with any of my problems but it has apparently helped others.

Upvote 0

Evee

May 1, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟11,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
TheMilkman said:
I live in a very small town too. It is fairly safe here and I'm worried at while walking around town at night. The majority of the crime here is the police busting non-violent drug users.

I hope that some day you will be able to overcome your fear from this event. Perhaps you should look into therapy? It has never helped me with any of my problems but it has apparently helped others.
:wave: Oh I am fine now but haven't forgotten .
allieisme is the poster that was robbed at knife point.
I am sorry if I distracted this thread with my experience.
Thanks Milkman.

Upvote 0

NeedHelp11

Nov 16, 2005
✟163.00
Faith
Christian

Yes, its called Post-Traumatic Stress and it can be treated with mixed success. Im guessing you probably alrady know about it but im just saying in case you dont. Googling brings up lots of information.

-quoting-from ncptsd.va.gov
Most people who are exposed to a traumatic, stressful event experience some of the symptoms of PTSD in the days and weeks following exposure. Available data suggest that about 8% of men and 20% of women go on to develop PTSD, and roughly 30% of these individuals develop a chronic form that persists throughout their lifetimes.

-quoting-from bullyonline
The diagnostic criteria for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) are defined in DSM-IV as follows:
A. The person experiences a traumatic event in which both of the following were present:
1. the person experienced or witnessed or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others;
2. the person's response involved intense fear, helplessness, or horror.

B. The traumatic event is persistently re-experienced in any of the following ways:
1. recurrent and intrusive distressing recollections of the event, including images, thoughts or perceptions;
2. recurrent distressing dreams of the event;

C. Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma and numbing of general responsiveness (not present before the trauma) as indicated by at least three of:
1. efforts to avoid thoughts, feelings or conversations associated with the trauma;
2. efforts to avoid activities, places or people that arouse recollections of this trauma;

D. Persistent symptoms of increased arousal (not present before the trauma) as indicated by at least two of the following:
1. difficulty falling or staying asleep;
2. irritability or outbursts of anger;

Upvote 0

Kathleen111

Veteran
Jul 25, 2004
NYC
✟1,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's help me a lot to be here. More than I can say in words. This week I went out three times, made new friends, and had a wonderful birthday party last night.

I did not realize how lonely, depressed, isolated, and silent I had become. Just being around people here on the internet CF, made me realize that I need a life again. I need to have friends, social activities, enjoyment just like everyone else.

It's hard. It has not been easy to start over. I was in 9/11 so I lost everyone and everything I had, and almost my own life in the course of two hours. I just couldn't talk about it. It largely still is unspeakable horror to describe.

One of the threads discussing about us all meeting offline together inspired me to go out and meet the people in my own community. I went out on Tuesday just to have fun. Ok, I almost barfed a couple of times from nerves but there are good people in this world. They insisted I come back last night. I met with a lady who I have not seen since 9/11, we recognized each other immediately and we talked all night. It was overwhelming to have a friend. The best gift are good friends. Friends are the family we get to pick, so don't deprive yourself of it.

Yeah, we are both a pair of fruitcakes from the ordeal. We never really spoke when we worked in the same building. It was nice to have someone walk with me and we laughed along our way to the train station. Very nice and it's been a long time. I'm very glad I came here and do believe it was heaven sent, just like you are heaven sent.

((((((((((((((((((((allisme)))))))))))))))))))))))))))) We can get through this, we can get through anything, we can even face death together, as long as we are not alone.

Reactions: Evee
Upvote 0

Evee

May 1, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟11,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Some of the experiences we go through may be unbelievable to most.
I sometimes wonder how can this all be and no older than I am.
Not that I am young but I feel about 200 years old because of all the experiences life has had for me.
I love it too cause in the long haul I have been a help to others.
I don't regret anything I have been through.
Many times someone will speak of an experience on internet like gay husbands abusive husbands poor choices bad investments not accepted by family members and I can say I understand.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Evee said:
:wave: Oh I am fine now but haven't forgotten .
allieisme is the poster that was robbed at knife point.
I am sorry if I distracted this thread with my experience.
Thanks Milkman.
You didnt throw this thread off course in any way :)

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
NeedHelp11 said:

Yes, its called Post-Traumatic Stress and it can be treated with mixed success. Im guessing you probably alrady know about it but im just saying in case you dont. Googling brings up lots of information.

-quoting-from ncptsd.va.gov
Most people who are exposed to a traumatic, stressful event experience some of the symptoms of PTSD in the days and weeks following exposure. Available data suggest that about 8% of men and 20% of women go on to develop PTSD, and roughly 30% of these individuals develop a chronic form that persists throughout their lifetimes.

-quoting-from bullyonline

The diagnostic criteria for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) are defined in DSM-IV as follows:
A. The person experiences a traumatic event in which both of the following were present:
1. the person experienced or witnessed or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others;

2. the person's response involved intense fear, helplessness, or horror.

B. The traumatic event is persistently re-experienced in any of the following ways:
1. recurrent and intrusive distressing recollections of the event, including images, thoughts or perceptions;

2. recurrent distressing dreams of the event;

C. Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma and numbing of general responsiveness (not present before the trauma) as indicated by at least three of:
1. efforts to avoid thoughts, feelings or conversations associated with the trauma;

2. efforts to avoid activities, places or people that arouse recollections of this trauma;

D. Persistent symptoms of increased arousal (not present before the trauma) as indicated by at least two of the following:
1. difficulty falling or staying asleep;

2. irritability or outbursts of anger;

Thank you for this post.. It is helpful.. The last doctor that I saw, surprisingly enough, told me that since alot of time has gone by, it wouldnt affect me like I think it has. :(
But I beg to differ.

Upvote 0

Kathleen111

Veteran
Jul 25, 2004
NYC
✟1,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Evee said:
Some of the experiences we go through may be unbelievable to most.
I sometimes wonder how can this all be and no older than I am.
Not that I am young but I feel about 200 years old because of all the experiences life has had for me.
I love it too cause in the long haul I have been a help to others.
I don't regret anything I have been through.
Many times someone will speak of an experience on internet like gay husbands abusive husbands poor choices bad investments not accepted by family members and I can say I understand.:)

I have found the more unbelievable it sounds, the more likely it is to be true. My life reads like a Stephen King novel, but it is what it is. Actually, a lot of that genre has more emotional truth than supposed true stories based on actual events. That's why I really can't read anything much about 9/11. I don't know what 9/11 that is, not the one I went through. It was hardly heroic or glorious. It was mass murder, cold and empty, as well as horrifying beyond words.

I was always a little old person too. I will never know what it is to feel young or feel safe in this life.

That's true though, that I've been able to help others. And we are all we have got in this world, are brother and sister survivors. And that phenomenon of it takes one to know one is strong and healing. Once we leave the house again. Hiding only keeps the good people out.

God bless you Evee. I thank God for you.

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was always a little old person too. I will never know what it is to feel young or feel safe in this life.
I feel like this too.. I've always felt and have always been told that I act mature for my age.. And that was even in high school

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kathleen111

Veteran
Jul 25, 2004
NYC
✟1,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi Allie,

Oh yeah. I did not have a very good time in highschool. I called them cl*******s. I was as old as the teachers who always liked me a lot. College was much better, and you do have to find your tribe. Battered folk are largely hidden. Survivors tend to only talk about surviving with other survivors in private. It's proved itself too many times to be less painful to slam your head against brick as opposed to communicating with non surivors. It's nice to meet up with brother survivors too. They can give some pointers in how to tell someone violating those boundaries AGAIN, to back off.

Hang in there. Any start is a start, and starting here is good. I'm glad you are breaking the silence. (((((Allie))))) keep posting. It don't have to make sense to non survivors. We all know what you're talking about. Aren't flashbacks fun? Tis the season for those, so talk as much as you need to, ok? The worst things for depression are isolation and silence.

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Aren't flashbacks fun? Tis the season for those, so talk as much as you need to, ok? The worst things for depression are isolation and silence.
Thank you for what you've posted :)
I think why this situation is sticking out strongly right now is because it happend right around Christmas.
I went to my doctor today and he gave me a website to visit and see if PTSS is something that I do have, or if there are other issues that are surrounding me.
So I guess the one good thing is with this new doctor he actually listens to me and actually has a concerned attitude toward me.

Upvote 0

Kathleen111

Veteran
Jul 25, 2004
NYC
✟1,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, I hope this don't come out all wrong but I think you should take you seriously. When I met up with that lady on Saturday night and we share the same trauma, I couldn't help but to notice we are the same pair of fruitcake over what happened. Yes, fruitcake is also in season. There is the right kind of insane and the wrong kind of insane. Just because you went the right kind of insane doesn't mean it is not as serious as the postal workers on lay off.

Someone asked me at the party, how do you stay so thin? Well, three bleeding ulcers, uncontrollable vomiting, and IBS from hypervigilance, panic attacks, and high anxiety of PTSD, but I don't recommend the diet. Just because I implode doesn't make it less than if I were one of those exploders. Just because it doesn't show outwardly. Some of us learned to remain cool under fire. Doesn't mean we're less worthy of respect and kindness.

I don't know of anyone that can get through this alone. It's nice to be insulated by numbskulls that don't have a clue so we don't have to talk about it. But there comes a time when the imploding takes its toll. Nobody ever went crazy from letting it out. Sooner or later, someone will need to call the nearest bug house over holding it in.

Remember you are loved.

Hug yourself for me.

Don't go this alone.

Reactions: allieisme
Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Kathleen111 said:
Well, I hope this don't come out all wrong but I think you should take you seriously. When I met up with that lady on Saturday night and we share the same trauma, I couldn't help but to notice we are the same pair of fruitcake over what happened. Yes, fruitcake is also in season. There is the right kind of insane and the wrong kind of insane. Just because you went the right kind of insane doesn't mean it is not as serious as the postal workers on lay off.

Someone asked me at the party, how do you stay so thin? Well, three bleeding ulcers, uncontrollable vomiting, and IBS from hypervigilance, panic attacks, and high anxiety of PTSD, but I don't recommend the diet. Just because I implode doesn't make it less than if I were one of those exploders. Just because it doesn't show outwardly. Some of us learned to remain cool under fire. Doesn't mean we're less worthy of respect and kindness.

I don't know of anyone that can get through this alone. It's nice to be insulated by numbskulls that don't have a clue so we don't have to talk about it. But there comes a time when the imploding takes its toll. Nobody ever went crazy from letting it out. Sooner or later, someone will need to call the nearest bug house over holding it in.

Remember you are loved.

Hug yourself for me.

Don't go this alone.
Thank you!
You dont know how your words effect me in such a positive way :hug:

Upvote 0

Illuminite

God's Own Creation
Mar 10, 2005
UK
✟4,211.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've never been in this forum before but am serious when I say some of you were in extreme situations and it gave me chills to think about.
A friend of mine was going into a theatre tonight and didn't lock his car door. As he stood there he heard a stereo blast,his car flew by him. People today are nuts aren't they???

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.