Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Firstly the church Is never the place or the building etc.
Most home church gatherings know the terminology of ecclesia etc.

The 3rd sticky on this forum is somewhat contradictory of that point.in that the church ..is not a place one goes to. But we all a part of the living breathing bride.

The risks of house to house gatherings are less over all then large system gatherings in that we get to know who we fellowship with.where as in large systemised gatherings the person next to you holding the bread and wine may sleeping with his neighbors wife in unrepentant sin and your breaking bread wish him..(the type of fellowship we are not supposed to have) this is less likely in a house gathering where such sin would be easily exposed And dealt with.

But the risk of house gatherings are 1. Where some one takes on a singular leadership roll and governs things like the large system miniaturized. When that occurs you may as well go back to large gatherings..nothings changed.

And a greater risk is if you become a mini Sunday club that sits around after and discusses what "the church" doesn't do right..but then does not Go And do anything right themselves.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The risk of house assemblies is just like the risk in any assembly.

That is the risk of being misled.

IF Y'SHUA is the SHEPHERD/ LEADER/ TEACHER/ in an assembly,
then
that's that. Whatever the size.

IF HE is not,
then

Seek YHWH'S KINGDOM, and keep seeking YHWH'S KINGDOM every day, day after day, always.
Daily walk.
Daily life.
HIS WAY.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, while the Lord is "in the midst" of the assembly He owns, and "over His house" as He says, that still allows the flesh to act and invent things there, like all denominated sects. The only safe-guard against flesh of men is that all saints in fellowship there agree to bow to Bible-only, so the flesh is not allowed to act; and everything be ordered in accord with God's Word. One can see how this has been accomplished at the site: biblecounsel.net, which is devoted to a worldwide fellowship of one mind about Church Truth, and does not yield to a hierarchy, but the royal" and "holy priesthood" of all believers (see 1 Pet. 2).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, while the Lord is "in the midst" of the assembly He owns, and "over His house" as He says, that still allows the flesh to act and invent things there, like all denominated sects. The only safe-guard against flesh of men is that all saints in fellowship there agree to bow to Bible-only, so the flesh is not allowed to act; and everything be ordered in accord with God's Word. One can see how this has been accomplished at the site: biblecounsel.net, which is devoted to a worldwide fellowship of one mind about Church Truth, and does not yield to a hierarchy, but the royal" and "holy priesthood" of all believers (see 1 Pet. 2).
the site has some pearls in it ..but seems they must be dug for.
"salvation is not in reading this" it says ) but in Doing it .. i like it :)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
True but thankfully i havent really been in any breakaway cult groups which house groups could become. But i have heard of some digruntled people bashing their own church and by extension other christians so they start their own instead of dealing with any issues in a christian manner.

I remember one guy who was from a mega church i had visited and he became like self-styled pastor and he would constantly rail against every other church except his own of course, as if he was super spiritual and everyone else wasnt. He tried to make his church in a junk filled shop, selling bric a brac?! I am wiser now and know to avoid him, cos if you start talking with him hed start ranting about everyone else and how even bible colleges were evil.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
While I question some of the practices that dont gel with the bible in established churches I dont think I bash them in the way ive seen other people do. We actually do have a choice where and who we fellowship with unless we been sucked into a cultic church. But people who are sucked in often are willingly deluded because they choose not to study or read the bible, which effectively exposes any false teaching.

So if more people made the effort to diligently read the bible for themselves instead of relying solely on others to teach them there would be less of this kind of second hand lazy faith you see. I think maybe if you are married and just go along with your husband or wife you really need to be reading the bible together because ive heard of spouses that just wont go to church if their other half isnt going.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I question some of the practices that dont gel with the bible in established churches I dont think I bash them in the way ive seen other people do. We actually do have a choice where and who we fellowship with unless we been sucked into a cultic church. But people who are sucked in often are willingly deluded because they choose not to study or read the bible, which effectively exposes any false teaching.

So if more people made the effort to diligently read the bible for themselves instead of relying solely on others to teach them there would be less of this kind of second hand lazy faith you see. I think maybe if you are married and just go along with your husband or wife you really need to be reading the bible together because ive heard of spouses that just wont go to church if their other half isnt going.
what makes a great vibrant living fellowship versus a money orientated, bank indebted dead man controlled Sunday club?

in simplicity this .. one talks a lot ABOUT the scripture .. the other goes and does the scripture by simply DOING what it says to do ..(ie go and heal the sick preach the gospel drive out demons baptize in jests name and make more disciples)

one sits around debating doctrine (some for 1500 years ) which is the basic milk of the word . they are like adults in a creche fighting over milk bottle temperatures .
the Other- goes and does the word .. that's MEAT .knowing bout the word is the milk ..the learning ABOUT ..
but DOING the word . that is the meat .
simply really .

i love house church . but if it is simply become a miniature version of Sunday club with one guy being the leader (pastor) the it has immediately missed the point .
don't just teach doctrine .. GO
don't just Go ..teach doctrine
DO BOTH
and let all speak whats on their hearts to speak that ALL may judge whether this is worthy to be taught . let the holy Spirit of Jesus be the ruler and decider since Jesus is the head .

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you in a house church like that you dont need to go back alithis.

Just find a believing friend and go out in the world spreading the gospel. I think too many get hung up on staying at home in their comfort zones instead of reaching out to ppl who have no homes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Im sure people arent sitting around debating doctrine really. Its only Atheists that do that, cos they dont believe and want to play devils advocate. Apologists just get sucked into debates with them.

If you are well grounded in faith you know its actually wrong to debate.

I have no time for devils advocates and negative ppl.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Just find a believing friend and go out in the world spreading the gospel. I think too many get hung up on staying at home in their comfort zones instead of reaching out to ppl who have no homes.
:) im not in one like that thanks.but if i was i'd speak up rather quickly.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a paper I find very helpful about church gatherings:

Christians Meeting In Homes
[Adapted here from earlier paper on Cottage Meetings, by RLD]​

That which is called House Meetings in recent times is not a new thing, though some Christians have now started practicing that claiming it the proper place to meet. They are more concerned about the form and comfort of gathering than the truth of gathering, and are often found developing a new sect of free-flowing religious ideas, special interests, etc., rather than the teachings of Bible truth in the Word of God.

The reference to Cell Groups meeting in homes, is different and speaks of small gatherings in homes to discuss what is preached and held in their "mother church" ---which the members are joined to. They take direction from the larger organized sect.

In the beginning the church met in homes (even an "upper room" – Luke 22), and later other buildings as assemblies grew larger. Many assemblies from over a century ago have met in homes (often called Cottage Meetings). Since the revival by God, and return to church truth in the early 1800's apart from religious sects and denominations, those gatherings seeking a scriptural order and God’s intention for the church, often meet in homes until growing large enough to need to rent or own a building for it.

The important thing about such a universal gathering in that fellowship from 1827 AD, at least, is that it must be fully scriptural, without innovations, a name, religious ceremonies, traditions, programs, carnal reasoning and activities, a one-man ministry and hierarchies, etc. It believes in the priesthood of all believers (1 Pet. 2) and waiting upon the Holy Spirit, and avoids names and titles and man’s ideas. The form of meetings is not alone the truth of gathering, and the scriptural fellowship is expected to express the truth of "one body in Christ" worldwide (1 Cor. 12:25) for "unity of the faith", and always in accord with the Word of God. This is not saying they are the "one body", but they continue to express that as shown by God.

The gathered saints thus study the Word of God together and value esteemed Commentaries and the help of Bible scholars down through history; and read verses of praise, sing to the Lord, and partake of the Lord’s Supper together; beside holding Gospel meetings for the public at times, and appreciating a godly fellowship together ---locally and worldwide. It sees Church Truth as in Acts 2:41-42 and the Epistles.

This is getting back to basics and holding what God set forth for His church testimony in the world, I believe. Such a fellowship was recovered in 1827 AD with a gathering to return to the testimony from the beginning. It still exists worldwide if one is interested.

– R. DeWitt, updated 09/12: from biblecounsel.net

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is the greatest risk - bringing the problems of the OC into the house with us. I have noticed that people are conditioned to what might be called "congregation behavior" which is passive and consumer-oriented. We have not learned in the OC how to BE the Body of Christ, every joint supplying.. mutual edification.. I almost always lead worship, even though technically it's open to anyone. Only the person who got this thing started, who hosts it, has come up with teachings that are not in the book we're studying (we are currently in 2 Peter, taking turns leading discussions, but we're supposed to be open to people sharing fresh revelations that are off of that track; we can always come back to it). We have a violin, and three of the twenty or so people in the group can play it, but usually it sits there. People are full of teen spirit (here we are now, entertain us). I include myself in that I don't always prepare for meetings by reading the passage we'll be discussing.

• Useful
Reactions: Alithis
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1watchman

Overseer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The "risks of house churches" as stated in the OP, is surely that it might easily become just another sect forming after man's ideas. There is such a thing continuing today as a Bible-only fellowship, and there may be one near to a serious seeker already. I know of some such gatherings worldwide that have been going on since that revival of Church Truth in circa 1800 AD. They are not popular, of course, for they conform to what God intends for His testimony, rather than the innovations and deletions of men to find a place that "fits my interests", as we often hear people seeking.

One needs to decide if they want what God intended, or only what pleases them. I often suggest one visit the sound site at biblecounsel.net to understand the full picture of what God has given in His Word. Inquiring there can be helpful.

Upvote 0

Zayin7

Feb 12, 2017
Ngaruawahia
✟18,319.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

then

IF HE is not,
then

Seek YHWH'S KINGDOM, and keep seeking YHWH'S KINGDOM every day, day after day, always.
Daily walk.
Daily life.
HIS WAY.
Interestingly the risk of being misled is increased by larger numbers not decreased. Look at the megga$$ churches.
If a house church of 10 misleads 1 .thats very bad .how much worse when a meega church does it enmass to tens of thousands via tv.

Upvote 0

Zayin7

Feb 12, 2017
Ngaruawahia
✟18,319.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good advice... Be the body

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

then

IF HE is not,
then

Daily walk.
Daily life.
HIS WAY.
Very well said.

Upvote 0