Risk warrants gun law: common sense?

Generally is this a law you would support?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Risk Warrants: A New Tool for Keeping Guns Out of Dangerous Hands

It's a law allowing for warrants to be issued based upon the risk of harm to self or others. Probable cause of imminent risk is required and then temporary seizure of guns. After a case is brought to the court, where it must be proven the person continues to pose a significant risk.

Rep. O’Neill to Share Connecticut’s Risk Warrant Legislation Nationwide | State Representative Arthur O'Neill

Connecticut risk warrant law seems to be the model. More of a state-based approach to solving gun-related problems. State's Representative O'Neil has sent a personal letter and copy of the law relevant to risk warrants.

I know specifics matter as whether it's federal or state etc. But generally I think it's a considerate approach, both risks of violence and rights of people. Is risk warrants something you would support as a law?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I prefer the liberal's approach, of better education. Ironically however what needs to be taught are conservative values. And since most teachers are liberals there no way conservative values are going to be taught, so we're back to square one. :(

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From what I hear it's a temporary, court-ordered only, 2 week removal of firearms from person.

With that said.... I know of no legislation that was held to what it's original intent was...and what if that person is living with a legitimate CCW permitted person...and wouldn't any thief "in the know" of the person who is institutionalized then target that home since the firearms are removed...and just how are they going to go in and remove a person's firearms/process for restoring them ??

Other than that, I see no issue with this and it's a good idea.

Upvote 0