RIP Rep. Elijah Cummings

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Indeed -- too many people find it easier to kick a man when he's down, and you don't get further down than dead. Cummings was a man of great character; so much so, that even the well-known cheap shot artists who have no compunctions about disrespecting the dead or living have wisely decided to show him respect in his passing.

Sorry I am not impressed with the man. Neither in life or death, I regard no man. He was a friend of the world and the world grieves for its own. Disrespecting the dead is a meaningless quantity.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sorry I am not impressed with the man. Neither in life or death, I regard no man. He was a friend of the world and the world grieves for its own. Disrespecting the dead is a meaningless quantity.
You know you could have just avoided this thread. There was no requirement to comment if you weren’t going to say anything nice about the guy in his passing.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You know you could have just avoided this thread. There was no requirement to comment if you weren’t going to say anything nice about the guy in his passing.

Some folks need the world to know how little they care for it.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Haha
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Spam the eulogy thread with your disrespect then. Pity you can hold it in until he's buried.

I enjoyed watching him conduct hearings - he was always on point.

Son of a sharecropper who rose to representative in the US Congress. He did himself and our country proud.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And therein lies the unpleasant question that nobody wants asked, let alone answered:

"What if we're really not?"
I think that's an important question to ponder. Why are people prone to wickedness (Wickedness being wanting to believe bad about others)? I believe it's because we entertain vanity.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, we can’t even honor the man’s memory without taking an opportunity to blast the President.

that’s a real shame

Prayers for his family and thanks for a lifetime of service.

Yes he does indeed deserve thanks for his lifetime of service. Earlier this year during the closing remarks for Trump's attorney Michael Cohen's hearing, Rep Cummings said: "When we're dancing with the angels, the question will be asked…what did we do to make sure we kept our democracy intact?”

Well for him his very last act before going to dance with the angels after a lifetime of service to make sure we keep our democracy intact was to sign subpoenas from his hospital bed for Trump impeachment.

It is honoring Rep. Cumming's memory to take the opportunity to acknowledge his actions towards Donald.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yes he does indeed deserve thanks for his lifetime of service. Earlier this year during the closing remarks for Trump's attorney Michael Cohen's hearing, Rep Cummings said: "When we're dancing with the angels, the question will be asked…what did we do to make sure we kept our democracy intact?”

Well for him his very last act before going to dance with the angels after a lifetime of service to make sure we keep our democracy intact was to sign subpoenas from his hospital bed for Trump impeachment.

It is honoring Rep. Cumming's memory to take the opportunity to acknowledge his actions towards Donald.

Good to hear that he was a diligent representative to the end, and that his last act was to help restore honor and integrity to the government.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Good to hear that he was a diligent representative to the end, and that his last act was to help restore honor and integrity to the government.

Agreed. This fellow literally worked till his dying day to just that. True patriot.

• Agree
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Agreed. This fellow literally worked till his dying day to just that. True patriot.

In all fairness, he probably didn't know it was going to be his dying day, but that doesn't diminish his work ethic...

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In all fairness, he probably didn't know it was going to be his dying day, but that doesn't diminish his work ethic...
He was in hospice at the time of death. Apparently he had needed an electric wheelchair for a while, so he knew he was dying, though one never knows exactly when.

It is a loss for our country.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He was in hospice at the time of death. Apparently he had needed an electric wheelchair for a while, so he knew he was dying, though one never knows exactly when.

It is a loss for our country.
Yes, A bigger loss, then some.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I love what President Obama said when delivering his eulogy for Rep. Cummings:

"He was never complacent, for he knew that without clarity of purpose and a steadfast faith and a dogged determination demanded by our liberty, the promise of this nation could wither. Complacency, he knew, was not only corrosive for our collective lives, but for our individual lives."

Representative Cummings was thoughtful about the legacy of his life, concerned about what messages from it would be carried into future generations after he was no longer here to impart them. I think it would please him that a message about his legacy, delivered by President Obama at his funeral, was written on my sister's virtual whiteboard. October is National Bullying Prevention Month, and every day they've discussed quotes about civility. This is the one they are ending the month on:

"There's nothing weak about kindness and compassion. There's nothing weak about looking out for others. There's nothing weak about being honorable. You're not a sucker to have integrity and to treat others with respect. I tell my daughters...being a strong man includes being kind."

Upvote 0