Rioters Loot Catholic Media Nuns’ Bookstore in Downtown Chicago: “My Heart is Breaking”

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,587,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please pray for peace!

The nuns at the Daughters of St. Paul (also considered the Media Nuns) fell victim to looting attacks at their downtown Chicago Pauline bookstore. Sr. Anne, FSP, announced the incident via Twitter.

Here’s the post below:

@nunblogger, Twitter
Sr. Anne’s
full tweet reads, “So last night our bookstore in Chicago was looted. I’ll bet people were really disappointed when they got home and found that all they had to show for it was a handful of religious books.”

However, the Pauline sister further elaborated in a blog post that “though we assumed they would have stolen at least a few items…a quick inventory shows that they seem to have left without taking a single saving Word. What a let down!”

Sr. Anne told ChurchPOP that the thieves merely took cash.

Sr. Anne also explained how the incident occurred, saying the religious order readied their store for a grand reopening after a two-month lockdown.
“By Saturday afternoon, the sisters removed the Blessed Sacrament from the bookstore chapel and locked themselves upstairs, Sr. Anne said on her blog.

“At 3:00 AM on Pentecost morning, they heard the glass break. Both of the automatic doors were shattered, and the front plate-glass display window.

“Oddly enough, it seems that the looters entered very calmly, not toppling or even disturbing the display unit right in front.

“Because the bookstore had been closed for so many weeks, the cash drawers were closed. Ordinarily, they are left open so that opportunistic thieves can help themselves without causing further damage. This time they broke through the counter.

And then the looters left.”

The sister added that her heart breaks for the small businesses “whose losses are incalculable.”

“Considering what so many others have suffered across the country, we are getting off lightly. My heart is breaking for the small business owners who watched their livelihoods go up in smoke, their losses incalculable, their pleas unheard by callous ideologues bent only on making a statement without regard for the cost that others (not they) would have to bear.”

Sr. Bethany, FSP, posted photos of the damage:

@SrBethanyFSP, Twitter
Sr. Bethany’s
post reads, “Our Sisters in Chicago are all safe, but our book center was broken into and looted last night during the riots. Please pray for our Sisters. And pray for peace.”

Here’s the enlarged photos:

@SrBethanyfsp, Twitter

@SrBethanyfsp, Twitter

@SrBethanyfsp, Twitter

@SrBethanyFSP, Twitter
To help the sisters with their store’s recovery, please
click here.

Please pray for the Daughters of St. Paul and all small businesses affected by this tragedy!

Rioters Loot Catholic Media Nuns' Bookstore in Downtown Chicago: "My Heart is Breaking" |

• Prayers
Reactions: SashaMaria

SashaMaria

He is risen! Alleluia!
Jun 23, 2018
East coast
✟193,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Prayers for the Daughters of St. Paul and all small business owners in Minneapolis and throughout our country. Praying that they can recover from both the covid-19 lockdowns and these destructive riots and that the senseless violence and looting afflicting our country soon ceases.

Lord have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Years ago, I would often visit the bookstore and media center the Daughters of St. Paul ran in Philadelphia where I worked. Fortunately, they moved out of Philly long ago. Philly is in the process of being destroyed by looting, vandalism and fires and it breaks my heart. If they had stayed in Philly, their store was in a location where it most likely would have been vandalized or destroyed in the looting.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Bless those sisters, I hope they're made financially whole soon, just like all the other business owners who have lost so much.

I'll say what I said a few years ago when someone smashed the back window of my truck and stole a bag that had my RCIA materials and a rosary in it: hopefully it leads to conversion(s). :crossrc:

Upvote 0