Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It seems, if we were to be righteous, that if were to "take our stand" (or declare our) for righteousness that we would have to start drawing lines in the sand/setting boundaries/ultimately making a judgment call, and how many times in the Bible are we warned not to judge, but yield Judgment to God?

Upvote 0

AndrewStrobel

Jan 26, 2014
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Our righteousness is in Christ, and before He revealed Himself to us, we were enemies of God. (Romans 5:10) I would say that believing in Him is a start, and walking in righteousness is to submit to Him entirely and do His will. To love the things that He loves and to hate the things that He hates. The funny thing though, is that we will be persecuted for righteousness. The gospel is offensive to the world, so when we take a stand for Christ and "seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness" we will meet opposition from the world and the the devil. I would also say that our flesh is opposed to righteousness as well, so it's pretty important to keep a single eye on Jesus and stay in the Word so we can have power to carry this out. Not self righteousness, but abiding in Him and yielding to His righteousness is the key.

This is a great question though, Jesus is THE righteous so like Paul imitated Christ, we too should imitate Christ. Praise the Lord, hope you have a blessed weekend!

Reactions: ron4shua
Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Neogaia. Righteousness is upright and morally right. God is Love and Righteousness. When Jesus tells us in Matthew 22: 35-40: The first Commandment is: " Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and the second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself."
Righteousness must always play a major role, we love with a righteous love,
never selfishly or only to our advantage. Righteousness is always UPRIGHT
AND MORALLY RIGHT. I say this with love, Neogaia. greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
N

NannaNae

first right-ousness just means right standing in our relationship with God/ Jesus.
being in submission to him . not usurping his will or anyone's except by that which is evil and harmful to God or anyone else( our neighbors) .. thus being perfectly human in our standing compared to Jesus .
meaning God is God in our life and we aren't any kind of God in our life or others .
we trust in his judgement and his protection and his wisdom. not our own.
because the tree of knowledge is death, Both good and evils determined by mankind own mind and for himself and in our ideas or imagination.. still leads to death just like it did for Adam and Eve. even GOOD will kill your soul or let it remain dead as much as EVIL will. .
I am so tired of hearing 'we are not to judge' that is taken out of context. . you are not to judge by your own ideas.. by your own judgement . you are to be fruit inspectors using his judgement .
you can't go though life and not judge the evil around us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
N

NannaNae

Rev 22:11
He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

Rev 22:12

And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Rev 22:13
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Rev 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

well it appears to me that he offers righteousness and or holiness.
if he lets you choose , which one do you want ?

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is righteousness exactly
"Righteousness" is a translation of the Greek word dikaiosune which is the character or quality of being righteous or just. It is ultimately an attribute of God, therefore it speaks of God's absolute perfection. He is righteous in all His ways, and holy in all His works. For the Christian it is moral and spiritual perfection.

how do we be and do and act like a righteous person, especially in this world...?

First of all we need to be declared righteous by God, since we are all sinners. When a sinner repents and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ, God "declares" that person to be righteous, by giving him/her the "robe of righteousness" which is Christ's. Christ's righteousness is "imputed" to us and we are "justified" by grace through faith (Rom 5:1).

To act righteous, we do what Christ did, speak as Christ spoke, and think as Christ thought. In order to do this, God gives every believer the gift of the Holy Spirit, and it is God who works in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure (Phil 2:13). We are to simply "present our bodies a living sacrifice" to God (Rom 12:1, 2).

Which also means we are not "to be conformed to this world" -- we are not to be influenced by the world's standards and the world's way of thinking. That means we are to be controlled by (1) the written Word of God and (2) the Holy Spirit.

What is taking our stand for righteousness mean, or be like. How do we put it (righteousness) into practice?
Taking a stand for righteousness means speaking out against sin and evil (a) in the world , (b) in the church and (c) in the home. John the Baptist spoke out against the sins of Herod and lost His life.

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Righteousness" is a translation of the Greek word dikaiosune which is the character or quality of being righteous or just. It is ultimately an attribute of God, therefore it speaks of God's absolute perfection. He is righteous in all His ways, and holy in all His works. For the Christian it is moral and spiritual perfection.

First of all we need to be declared righteous by God, since we are all sinners. When a sinner repents and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ, God "declares" that person to be righteous, by giving him/her the "robe of righteousness" which is Christ's. Christ's righteousness is "imputed" to us and we are "justified" by grace through faith (Rom 5:1).

To act righteous, we do what Christ did, speak as Christ spoke, and think as Christ thought. In order to do this, God gives every believer the gift of the Holy Spirit, and it is God who works in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure (Phil 2:13). We are to simply "present our bodies a living sacrifice" to God (Rom 12:1, 2).

Which also means we are not "to be conformed to this world" -- we are not to be influenced by the world's standards and the world's way of thinking. That means we are to be controlled by (1) the written Word of God and (2) the Holy Spirit.

Taking a stand for righteousness means speaking out against sin and evil (a) in the world , (b) in the church and (c) in the home. John the Baptist spoke out against the sins of Herod and lost His life.
You're confusing righteousness with sinlessness. One has got nothing to do with the other; one is imputed by God by faith, the other is attaining legal and moral perfection.

We are made righteous, by faith; the other only leads to self-righteousness.

Was Abraham righteous? Yes, exactly the same way we are made righteous. Was he sinless? Absolutely not.

Now was Jesus righteous? Absolutely. Was he also sinless? Absolutely.

So there's nothing we can do or don't do (outside of faith) to either make us more righteous, or less righteous.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're confusing righteousness with sinlessness. One has got nothing to do with the other; one is imputed by God by faith, the other is attaining legal and moral perfection.

Perhaps it is you who is confused. "The LORD is righteous in all His ways and holy in all His works" (Psalm 145:17). Righteousness and holiness are INSEPARABLE according to this verse and according to God's character.

The same applies to Christians. There is imputed righteousness and then there is practical righteousness. Without holiness, there cannot be practical righteousness. And we DO NOT "attain" righteousness. God works out His righteousness in and through us (Phil 2:13).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps it is you who is confused. "The LORD is righteous in all His ways and holy in all His works" (Psalm 145:17). Righteousness and holiness are INSEPARABLE according to this verse and according to God's character.

The same applies to Christians. There is imputed righteousness and then there is practical righteousness. Without holiness, there cannot be practical righteousness. And we DO NOT "attain" righteousness. God works out His righteousness in and through us (Phil 2:13).
Lol, classic mistake. Imputed righteousness and practical righteousness? Good luck with that.

You're not familiar with the teachings about righteousness.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Dear Neogaia. Righteousness is upright and morally right. God is Love and Righteousness. When Jesus tells us in Matthew 22: 35-40: The first Commandment is: " Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and the second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself."

Thanks for your response, greetings and love from me to you as well... I wanted to ask you: What if your neighbor is Gay?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

AndrewStrobel

Jan 26, 2014
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What if your neighbor is gay? Well, Jesus says to love our neighbors as ourselves.. He also tells us to love our enemies. His Word says He is kind to unthankful and evil men, so we should be too.

Jesus tells us to approach OUR OWN salvation with fear and trembling, He also tells us that it is the goodness of God that leads a person to repentence. Be kind to your neighbor, treat him well and be a light in the darkness. If you really care, go out of your way to do good to him and bless him in the name of the Lord. Invite him to church.

It is not our job to save anybody, we simply plant seeds and love people, God provides the increase. Jesus loved us when we were still sinners, we need to do the same. Hopefully, by the grace of God, he will have an encounter with the Lord that will change him and give him eternal life. Regardless if he believes or doesn't believe though, we treat all people with love. We don't have to love their sin, but we love the sinner.

Hope you have a blessed week.

Reactions: ron4shua
Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What is righteousness exactly, how do we be and do and act like a righteous person, especially in this world...?

What is taking our stand for righteousness mean, or be like. How do we put it (righteousness) into practice?

God Bless!

the righteousness is just the perfection of the love, or in other words, one thing is to love only some neighbor(s), because each of the most people loves someone else, while another thing is to love all human and ensouled beings without exception - the love is the goodness as a whole, the righteousness is also the wary thinking/reasoning/treatment/proceeding so that no one might be(come) your victim/sufferer - even/including you, but first of all it is the overall salvation unto abundant and everlasting life in Jesus and God the Father which manifests in the from of faith

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks for your response, greetings and love from me to you as well... I wanted to ask you: What if your neighbor is Gay?

God Bless!

To take your stand for righteousness, would it be righteous to speak out of how you disapprove of homosexual lifestyle, and do not want to intermix or mingle with them, for various multiple reasons. You don't hate the individual but you don't like what their doing and so you say that you disapprove of it and that you think it's a sin,

Is that taking your stand for righeousness or just being a prejudiced bigot...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To take your stand for righteousness, would it be righteous to speak out of how you disapprove of homosexual lifestyle, and do not want to intermix or mingle with them, for various multiple reasons. You don't hate the individual but you don't like what their doing and so you say that you disapprove of it and that you think it's a sin,

Is that taking your stand for righeousness or just being a prejudiced bigot...?

God Bless!

You are almost right. The part about not intermix or mingle with them is wrong. Jesus intermixed with all sorts of sinners. When I go to church, I am surrounded by sinners. I am a sinner myself, so I feel right at home with them.

But, if you encounter a sinner who says that his or her sin is not a sin, then it is your duty to correct them out of your love for neighbor. It is bigoted to say, "Aw shucks, that's just the way they are and we should celebrate what they are doing." That is basically telling someone that they aren't worth the trouble.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You are almost right. The part about not intermix or mingle with them is wrong. Jesus intermixed with all sorts of sinners. When I go to church, I am surrounded by sinners. I am a sinner myself, so I feel right at home with them.

But, if you encounter a sinner who says that his or her sin is not a sin, then it is your duty to correct them out of your love for neighbor. It is bigoted to say, "Aw shucks, that's just the way they are and we should celebrate what they are doing." That is basically telling someone that they aren't worth the trouble.

I do not approve of what their influence, their culture, intermingling with ours is doing to our society, our children (how their (influence) is going to affect the next generation)...

I don't remember Jesus ever approaching, healing or casting out demons of, or doing a miracle for, or having anything to do with a gay person... He could have, they were certainly around at that time, but he didn't, so what's that say?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not approve of what their influence, their culture, intermingling with ours is doing to our society, our children (how their (influence) is going to affect the next generation)...

I don't remember Jesus ever approaching, healing or casting out demons of, or doing a miracle for, or having anything to do with a gay person... He could have, they were certainly around at that time, but he didn't, so what's that say?

God Bless!

He never spoke to a inappropriate content addict either. Are they to be shunned as hopeless too?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
He never spoke to a inappropriate content addict either. Are they to be shunned as hopeless too?

inappropriate contentography was not an issue, not a temptation, back then... Our ancestors didn't have visual images of naked men and women just a click away on the internet, if they did, I gaurantee the problem of it would have been far more prevalent...

Gay people, unlike inappropriate content, have always been around, and they were around in Jesus day, inappropriate contentography was not...

Jesus could have approached a male temple prostitute, or the men who were having gay sexual relations with them, but he didn't

Why don't we have a "parable of the male temple prostitute", or gay man then, or any parables or Jesus hanging out with Gay people?

I wish we had a parable of "the male temple prostitute" or any example of Jesus dealing with Gay people, I wonder how he would have handled it...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0