Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The men who founded it this nation were, to varying degrees, men of God who trusted in the Creator of the universe to guide them in establishing this nation and to govern it justly. Far more so than our current president, or even George W. Bush or Jimmy Carter, who were very overt about their faith.

Very interesting point...and quite definitely true.

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

The Treaty of Tripoli is a red herring. No one claims the US is a democratic theocracy, though everyone who brings up the Treaty of Tripoli acts as though that is the argument regarding the nature of the men who founded this country. The fact is, the democracy of the US is found in no other place except the principles Jesus taught to His disciples. No other nation has attempted to offer the level of freedom and participation in government that the US has. The men who founded it this nation were, to varying degrees, men of God who trusted in the Creator of the universe to guide them in establishing this nation and to govern it justly. Far more so than our current president, or even George W. Bush or Jimmy Carter, who were very overt about their faith.
Yes, many were considered Christian,(not like today's Christian) and some Deist. Most all believed in, as you say, 'Creator of the Universe', Providence.
I am not speaking about the nature of the men, I am saying that those men didn't put religion in lawmaking practice as the treaty demonstrates. They kept religion in their life, in their breast, but not in decision-making for the country's best interest. They knew first hand how a State-Church relationship is a miserable idea in a new capitalist country, as the 13 colonies were quickly becoming a nation.

Jesus is a King, where does Democracy fit in? The only time I read of democracy was when leaders would discuss and vote. Not open to discussion from the congregants, the congregants didn't vote, they just had to go along with the decision.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"There is none righteous, no, not one."

Just saying.

-CryptoLutheran

Gen. 7:1 --> Then the LORD said to Noah, "Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation."

Gen. 15:3-6 --> Then Abram said, "Look, You have given me no offspring; indeed one born in my house is my heir!" And behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, "This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir." Then He brought him outside and said, "Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be." And he believed in the LORD, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.

Gen. 38:26 --> So Judah acknowledged them and said, "She has been more righteous than I, because I did not give her to Shelah my son." And he never knew her again.

1 Sam. 24:17 --> Then he said to David: "You are more righteous than I; for you have rewarded me with good, whereas I have rewarded you with evil."

Rom. 4:6 --> just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
Just because we can't obtain perfect righteousness (on our own) doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it.

Upvote 0