ke1985

May 27, 2008
✟8,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Probably one of the oldest questions in the book, but I'll ask it again:

How do you personally figure out right and wrong? Do you believe only behavior is wrong but not thoughts and feelings?

Furthermore, is our determination of right and wrong primarily subjective? If so, don't other people have to be wrong in order that there is a right?

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

How do you personally figure out right and wrong?
I base it on both logic and emotion. I have a gut feeling for what seems right to me and allows me to sleep at night. This feeling can change over time based on information I take in.

I take information in from various sources, including what my parents and teachers taught me, what cultures and their religions from the world have shared, from contemplating things myself, and lastly, from discussing morality in places like this.

I try to do what seems logically best for as many people as possible, though it also has to pass my test of "does it feel right?".

Do you believe only behavior is wrong but not thoughts and feelings?
I don't really look at it as right or wrong. I look at it as useful or not useful, skillful or unskillful, benevolent or malevolent, and so forth. I think these types of terms are better than merely thinking in terms of "right" or "wrong", as these are vague terms.

I analyze behavior by how an action affects the individual performing the action and how it affects other beings.

I analyze thoughts and feelings by how an action affects the individual with those thoughts and feelings. Since these things can't directly affect another, they don't concern me too much morally, but the thoughts one has can weaken or strengthen them based on what they are, so I view some thoughts as elements of weakness and try to remove them from myself.

Furthermore, is our determination of right and wrong primarily subjective?
Yes, at least in a universal sense.

I view morality as subjective because I have yet to see someone form a solid argument for why objectivity can be applied to morality in a universal sense.

Objectivity can only be applied once a goal is agreed upon. At that point, there are objectively better methods of reaching that goal than others, and so morality can be compared on a somewhat objective basis.

If so, don't other people have to be wrong in order that there is a right?
I don't see what you mean or how that's applicable, partly because "right" and "wrong" are so vague.

-Lyn

Upvote 0

ke1985

May 27, 2008
✟8,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
[/quote]I base it on both logic and emotion. I have a gut feeling for what seems right to me and allows me to sleep at night. This feeling can change over time based on information I take in. [/quote]

I guess sometimes I wonder, "how do I know that I know?" Part of it has to do with mistrust of my own feelings and judgment calls.

I don't really look at it as right or wrong. I look at it as useful or not useful, skillful or unskillful, benevolent or malevolent, and so forth. I think these types of terms are better than merely thinking in terms of "right" or "wrong", as these are vague terms.

How is useful and not useful not as vague as right or wrong?

I analyze behavior by how an action affects the individual performing the action and how it affects other beings.

As in, its wrong to hit your brother because it hurts him.

[/quote]I don't see what you mean or how that's applicable, partly because "right" and "wrong" are so vague.

-Lyn[/quote]

In reference to the many religions of the world and to morality, isn't there a right way of behaving and a wrong way of thinking and doing?

Upvote 0

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I guess sometimes I wonder, "how do I know that I know?" Part of it has to do with mistrust of my own feelings and judgment calls.
Well, if you don't know, then who else knows for you?

I think it's good that people doubt that they know what they know. It keeps their minds open.

How is useful and not useful not as vague as right or wrong?
Right and wrong are usually used as intrinsic properties, often but not always having to do with a god. Something is "right" simply because it's right, or "wrong" simply because it's wrong, even if no justification is given. I sometimes use the terms right or wrong, but only when referring to my own view of morality, and when I do, there are probably better terms I should be using anyway.

I gave three sets of words, useful/not useful, skillful/not skillful, and benevolent/malevolent, and I'm sure there others. The point is, depending on the context of what we're talking about, they may be more descriptive.

If we have a shared goal in mind (say, a peaceful, happy society), then we can discuss what actions are the most useful in obtaining that goal. Useful and not useful are context dependent.

As in, it's malevolent to do so.

In reference to the many religions of the world and to morality, isn't there a right way of behaving and a wrong way of thinking and doing?
Many religions preach that, yes.

-Lyn

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker

I try to predict whether a certain behaviour/approach helps with pursuing my goals. If it does, it´s right. If not, it´s wrong.
No, thoughts and feelings can be huge obstacles to reach one´s goals.

Yes.
I fail to see how this would follow from subjectivity. As far as I can see this would be the implication of objectivity.

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I think the primary problem with determining right and wrong in this way is the fact that it´s always isolating and considering only one or few aspects and effects of a given action or situation, and ignores a large number of others.

Upvote 0

D McCloud

Veteran
Aug 17, 2004
Minnesota
✟2,188.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I try and imagine all of the positive and negative consequences for myself and others. Whatever action I believe would have the least negative consequences, I go with.

I think our thoughts and feelings help us determine behavior. They are what help me decide whether a particular behavior is right or wrong. I don't think a thought or feeling by itself is inherently right or wrong though.

Is our determination of right and wrong primarily subjective?

yes

That doesn't have any impact of the the subjectivity of right and wrong though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Elly

Miss Elly
Aug 24, 2009
Irving, Texas 75060
✟15,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

How do you personally figure out right and wrong? Do you believe only behavior is wrong but not thoughts and feelings?

Furthermore, is our determination of right and wrong primarily subjective? If so, don't other people have to be wrong in order that there is a right?

God gave us all a conscience. Most of all he gave us the bible which is our guide to right and wrong thinking. If you are a christian, the spirit of God will prompt you if you are doing wrong, in order for you to repent and ask God's forgiveness.

Corrupt behavior (sinning) is wrong and also sinful thinking as far as God is concerned. The bible says that if a man looks at a woman with lust, he is committing adultery in his heart and is sinning. All thoughts, feeling and behaviors must be in submission to God and his word in order for a person to please God. And our own fleshy righteousness is as filthy rags in his sight. Of course just thinking of murder instead of doing it will not land a person in jail, as far as the law of our land goes. But God judges the evil hearts of men and it is wrong in his eyes. :preach:

Upvote 0

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

I never personally figured out right and wrong.

I did this weird thing...I was a child and then I grew up. As a child if I did something that hurt another I would usually get rebuked for that. I would then take those exact lessons and try to find rules of thumb.

As a teenager and an adult I recognised that other people actually exist and now I don't know. You could say that my morality is based on me trying to figure out how others would like to be treated by me not how I would think how to treat them (most people base their morality on trying to figure principles on how they should treat others IMO).

Upvote 0
L

LightSeaker

How do you personally figure out right and wrong? Do you believe only behavior is wrong but not thoughts and feelings??
For myself, the only wrong in life is when we hurt others.

Outside of the wrong in our hurting others, I'd say yes.

Just because some are hurting others, that does not make it right.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,895.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

I follow the guidelines laid out for my alignment in the Players handbook. 3.5 rules of course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FundamentalistJohn

Feb 23, 2008
✟8,589.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Admitting that I often fail my own tests. And with the wish to make very clear that I am a Christian and consider God's will more important than man's law.

Usually I first ask myself "Does it violate Love of God or Love of Neighbor?

But I must also ask myself how much do I know about the issue? It is hard enough sometimes to know if something violates Love of God or Love of neighbor ignorance can only make that task more difficult. Several times I have changed my stance on an issue after further study.

I ask myself is there a law for which there is no valid reason to disobey?

I ask myself would I approve of this decision if it was one of my children making it?

Then I refer to the first step above.

Upvote 0

Lisa*Lisa

His Servant
Mar 7, 2010
✟17,386.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess I base right or wrong on many things. If it's against the law, it's wrong and I don't do it. If something is going to hurt an innocent person, then I don't do it, it's wrong. I use the law, fairness, compassion, honesty and kindness to judge if something is right or wrong.

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I've stopped worrying about such things. I've learned the hard way that it doesn't matter what you believe at all.
"Matters" for what?
The onely thing that matters is what other people think
"Matters" in which way, to whom and for what?

On another note, I am a bit confused about the logic here. If, as you say, the only thing that matters is what other people think what I think seems to matter greatly, because I am part of the group of "other people" for billions of people in the world. I´m not sure why - if, as you posit, what (other) people think matters - you (or I) would be the only people whose opinion doesn´t matter.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,895.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
God gave us all a conscience. Most of all he gave us the bible which is our guide to right and wrong thinking. If you are a christian, the spirit of God will prompt you if you are doing wrong, in order for you to repent and ask God's forgiveness.

Corrupt behavior (sinning) is wrong and also sinful thinking as far as God is concerned. The bible says that if a man looks at a woman with lust, he is committing adultery in his heart and is sinning. All thoughts, feeling and behaviors must be in submission to God and his word in order for a person to please God. And our own fleshy righteousness is as filthy rags in his sight. Of course just thinking of murder instead of doing it will not land a person in jail, as far as the law of our land goes. But God judges the evil hearts of men and it is wrong in his eyes. :preach:

What about psychopaths who do not seem to have a conscience? Did God make them that way?

Upvote 0