United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Why should I believe what you believe, to believe in Jesus?"

Hi NeverLOved,

Great question! Hopefully, this helps answer it for you:

The Bible teaches that every human being will live on eternally after their physical death. The location in which each person will spend eternity (heaven or hell) depends solely upon whether or not they have a saving relationship with Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

There are only two ways to obtain eternal life in heaven: one way is to be sinless (which disqualifies everyone who has ever lived, except for Jesus) and the other way is by God’s grace through faith in Jesus for what He did for us on the cross when He died for our sins. Since every human being is guilty of sin and falls short of God’s holy and perfect standard, there is only one way to receive eternal life: by placing our faith in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of our sins.

Those who do this will live with God forever.

Those who reject this will also live eternally, but in the lake of fire after being judged at the great white throne. Why? Because there is no other means available for their forgiveness apart from Jesus whom they rejected. Therefore, they are left to suffer their own sin's consequences in hell, which never ends because they never stop sinning. So their punishment goes on and on for eternity.

Does that help?

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Do you want me to attempt to convince you to believe, do you want me to tell you what advantage believing would give you or do you want me to tell you why I believe?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Since you don't know me, there's no reason at all. However, if you knew me, and admired my superior intellect, warm and loving personality, excessive wealth, and ridiculous success, you might ask if there is something I have done that you could imitate in order to improve your life.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Since you don't know me, there's no reason at all. However, if you knew me, and admired my superior intellect, warm and loving personality, excessive wealth, and ridiculous success, you might ask if there is something I have done that you could imitate in order to improve your life.
Hm... adopt your stylish haircut? ;)

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hm... adopt your stylish haircut?

It's always about politics for some people, but touche' for the associative repartee. Narcissism aside, I can make the point without the tongue in the cheek if it will help you.

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
It's always about politics for some people, but touche' for the associative repartee. Narcissism aside, I can make the point without the tongue in the cheek if it will help you.
I just tried to respond in kind, my friend.

If you want to talk about this point in a more serious fashion, I am game.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
OK. What's on your mind?
Oh, I thought you wanted to make a point... but sure, I'll give my thoughts.

This is based on my interpretation of your post, which in turn is based on my experience with several other Christians (and other people) making a similar point. A point from, let's say "indirect evidence".

There is X. X comes from Y. Thus Y.

Now the step that I, from my own various experiences, doubt is the second. Does X really come from Y? Does it only come from Y? If not... that would invalidate the whole line of reasoning, wouldn't it?

So... someone might be smart, good looking, lovable and successful. But if they base that on their haircut instead of their faith... or even a mystical supernatural intervention... what would we do to find out?

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Now the step that I, from my own various experiences, doubt is the second. Does X really come from Y? Does it only come from Y? If not... that would invalidate the whole line of reasoning, wouldn't it?

Sure. My point was simpler (and more complex). If you admire someone, it is common to imitate them. I admire my father, and there are many parts of his life I try to imitate.

Yet Lutherans will distinguish what is called a "Theology of the Cross" from a "Theology of Glory". And thereby my meta humor may have misled you. The idea is based on John 16:33 among other passages. For our purposes here, it agrees exactly with what you said. Don't assume the successes of this world know God and the failures don't.

So, it's just as possible to admire someone for persevering under extreme hardship as it is to admire them for great success. The warning to the Christian is simply to do one's best not to turn people off (In some cases it seems impossible to avoid). Personal conversations are easier to have with a friend than with a stranger or enemy.

What would we do to find out?

That's a case by case thing. It depends on what aspect of the person you want to understand.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Sure. My point was simpler (and more complex). If you admire someone, it is common to imitate them. I admire my father, and there are many parts of his life I try to imitate.
A very good point, but I think it leads back to my line of reasoning.
If you admire someone, it is common to imitate them... in the points that you admire, and in the points that you think involves what you admire.

You admire your father, and try to imitate many parts of his life. But how do you chose which parts? That's the question.

Your father might be a loving family man, polite and nice to everyone, fair and just in his dealings... and you admire that and try to imitate that.
You also might think that these admirable attributes come from him being a devout Christian... and so you try to imitate that as well.

So far, so good.

But what happens when you meet another person, a loving family person, polite and nice to everyone, fair and just in their dealing... and a devout Muslim, Hindu, Asatru or atheist? You'd still admire the same attributes... but now they cannot come from the same source as before.
Would conclusion could you draw from that?

Yet Lutherans will distinguish what is called a "Theology of the Cross" from a "Theology of Glory". And thereby my meta humor may have misled you. The idea is based on John 16:33 among other passages. For our purposes here, it agrees exactly with what you said. Don't assume the successes of this world know God and the failures don't.

So, it's just as possible to admire someone for persevering under extreme hardship as it is to admire them for great success. The warning to the Christian is simply to do one's best not to turn people off (In some cases it seems impossible to avoid). Personal conversations are easier to have with a friend than with a stranger or enemy.
Oh, it is not the observable phenomena I am doubting. You can admire a person for all sorts of things. It's the conclusion that some people - many Christians - seem to draw from these admirable things that I doubt.

That's a case by case thing. It depends on what aspect of the person you want to understand.
Understanding people is difficult. As far as I have come to experience, most people are quite reluctant to get experimented on. ;)

Upvote 0