Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So I've done a lot of exegesis studies of scriptures but there is one that stands out to me that is difficult to wrap my head around.

Mathew 5:11-12 Blessed are you when men cast insults at you, and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, on account of Me. Rejoice, and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

If you continue reading the chapter it would seem we are warranted some sort of gain or miss out on something in heaven based on what we have done with our time on Earth.

Why this is difficult for me: I am born again. I know who I am going to be with when I depart from the body.

2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

I believe that scripture. I believe that when a saved human being exits this life they are at home with God. To me there could be no greater reward and honestly who cares about anything else. This is something that separates us from other religions that declare you must work to be saved or have gains when you die. We don't have to work for our salvation. It's already been done, at least it is when we accept the free gift of salvation Jesus bought with his blood. If anything I feel like we can be rewarded in our time here with spiritual rewards, such as, say you deliver men and women from demons, heal the sick, raise the dead. With that kind of power and anointing you would think the side effects would be dramatic for your person. More of a sense of peace, closeness to God, more praying, as well as exuding the fruit of the spirit, and as if no stumbling block from the devil could ever work against you because you simply have too much faith for it to. I mean it would be powerful!

Are the rewards Jesus spoke of actually in Heaven awaiting us? Or are they extended to our spirit and mind FROM Heaven?

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are the rewards Jesus spoke of actually in Heaven awaiting us? Or are they extended to our spirit and mind FROM Heaven?
For those of a dispensational pov the reward would be to be alive during the 1000 yrs. All Christians believe that the rewards of 'Christ with us' is now and more is to come. I think of the rewards as the 'coat of many colours' that the Father will give us to wear for eternity. :)

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I believe the scriptures do teach there will be various levels or reward given to saints. Jesus even implied there would be some greater than others but greatness is defined as to how one pours out their life to be a servant to others. The greatest is the servant of all.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe the scriptures do teach there will be various levels or reward given to saints. Jesus even implied there would be some greater than others but greatness is defined as to how one pours out their life to be a servant to others. The greatest is the servant of all.
I agree. The greatest is to be a servant of Christ as was Mary in comparison to Martha. Edification that can be shared.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I've done a lot of exegesis studies of scriptures but there is one that stands out to me that is difficult to wrap my head around.

Mathew 5:11-12 Blessed are you when men cast insults at you, and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, on account of Me. Rejoice, and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

If you continue reading the chapter it would seem we are warranted some sort of gain or miss out on something in heaven based on what we have done with our time on Earth.

Why this is difficult for me: I am born again. I know who I am going to be with when I depart from the body.

2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

I believe that scripture. I believe that when a saved human being exits this life they are at home with God. To me there could be no greater reward and honestly who cares about anything else. This is something that separates us from other religions that declare you must work to be saved or have gains when you die. We don't have to work for our salvation. It's already been done, at least it is when we accept the free gift of salvation Jesus bought with his blood. If anything I feel like we can be rewarded in our time here with spiritual rewards, such as, say you deliver men and women from demons, heal the sick, raise the dead. With that kind of power and anointing you would think the side effects would be dramatic for your person. More of a sense of peace, closeness to God, more praying, as well as exuding the fruit of the spirit, and as if no stumbling block from the devil could ever work against you because you simply have too much faith for it to. I mean it would be powerful!

All your good deeds remembered and all your imperfections forgotten,
in the next life.

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I believe the scriptures do teach there will be various levels or reward given to saints. Jesus even implied there would be some greater than others...

Even if this is true, how do we know what we are receiving? What if I take this meaning to heart and do these things for "greater rewards in Heaven?" I know that we are judged based on the content in our hearts, but what's my motivation if I don't know what it is I'm working down here for in Heaven? Sounds familiar to a retirement savings account when you look at it that way... There is no way I would ever do that if I already do know something I am warranted in the after life (inseparable union in Christ).

Matthew 7:21-23 Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

My motivation for doing these things is the gratification in that I can see the Holy Spirit moving and that I can be a vessel to be used for HIS glory, not personal gain, neither here nor Heaven. Just to have his face melting presence near is enough to fill me with joy and contentment, what else do I need?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I actually want revelation on this subject. Mormons believe you become God or a god and get to create your own universe depending on how you are judged when you die. Hindus believe they are reincarnated either as a creature or a person who will ascend to higher earthly positions depending on how they live their life. I believe I get to be in God's presence for all eternity.

If there are rewards in heaven, additions to our salvation, what could they possibly be? Status among the Heavenly beings? A title? A position in the choir? Haha I don't know!

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
For those of a dispensational pov the reward would be to be alive during the 1000 yrs. All Christians believe that the rewards of 'Christ with us' is now and more is to come. I think of the rewards as the 'coat of many colours' that the Father will give us to wear for eternity. :)

I believe the dispensation pov. But I've never heard of this 'coat of many colors' talked about in a heavenly perspective. I have heard of our heavenly body as in the same form Jesus appeared to men after His resurrection, and even that gives me a bit of trouble as I am of the mindset that all I'm going to want when I get there is to bask in his presence forever and ever. But I hear people talk about 'the streets of gold' and the 'cities in Heaven' as if it's a place we all get to go and continue to act like humans, which I sort of lean against, because the only one I know the bible talks about like this is in Revelation and it's the 'New Jerusalem' that is promised to Earth after the earthly second coming of the Christ. Maybe I'm floating a little close to the sun on this one asking what's in Heaven...

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe the dispensation pov. But I've never heard of this 'coat of many colors' talked about in a heavenly perspective. I have heard of our heavenly body as in the same form Jesus appeared to men after His resurrection, and even that gives me a bit of trouble as I am of the mindset that all I'm going to want when I get there is to bask in his presence forever and ever. But I hear people talk about 'the streets of gold' and the 'cities in Heaven' as if it's a place we all get to go and continue to act like humans, which I sort of lean against, because the only one I know the bible talks about like this is in Revelation and it's the 'New Jerusalem' that is promised to Earth after the earthly second coming of the Christ. Maybe I'm floating a little close to the sun on this one asking what's in Heaven...
There are lots of people that the streets of gold are not enticing to, so probably much is rhetorical. The coat of many colours is an analogy that I see as tapestry of lives lived. A mess to look at when half done doesn't reflect the work that's being done on the other side. Whimsical look at heaven but effective to the pattern.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yes there are real gold , precious stones ect but that's the least of rewards . The best rewards are crowns or status symbol as some say plus your work now depends how you will serve God in millenial kingdom , some will have no authority some will have multiple cities to rule over .

There are crowns for preachers , for these who suffered for him , for martr , for faithfullness , for taking control over your flesh and it's desires , for serving people and for soul winners .

These rewards are for eternity so it's wise to invest that short life for something which will never perish .

Different saints will have different garmets which are based on righteous acts aswell.

Matthew 6
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt ... 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust ...

Revelation 3:18
I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of.

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
1 Corinthians 3: 11-15 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

Through the flames, or through big golden gates with a sign that reads, 'Welcome Home' - I don't care just get me there.

There are lots of people that the streets of gold are not enticing to, so probably much is rhetorical. The coat of many colours is an analogy that I see as tapestry of lives lived. A mess to look at when half done doesn't reflect the work that's being done on the other side. Whimsical look at heaven but effective to the pattern.

No, the streets of gold don't entice me. To me a 'coat of many colors' as a tapestry of a life lived would seem more suited as a funeral / memorial service, a tribute to the earthly deeds done as well as the condition of their heart and mind.

Once you depart and are with Him I just don't see how their could be any reward lesser or greater than another reward in comparison to He Himself. If that were the case what would be the point of rewards in Heaven?

Again I tend to think like this: New Jerusalem is in Heaven, on its way to Earth. In the same way I feel as though our 'rewards in Heaven' are spiritual things only an individual may receive in this life based on their deeds and the conditions of their hearts, such as more peace, maybe a more prosperous home, a better work/life balance, exuding the fruit of the spirit, overall more contentment and functionality in the church. More anointing, more power, more passion, more fire, more faith, more transformation in the self and in the church body through self. Seeing the gospel spread as Jesus intends it to. Seeing more selflessness. Am I rambling?

If God has made it so that we can't come back (at this time) after departure, then I can see the importance of serving in this life. However, once we arrive there, it would seem there is no coming back (for a while) and all the worries we would've had to serve here would dissolve as we are carried away.

Is not God himself the greatest reward? Wouldn't any more or any less create envy or jealousy or pride, like what happened to Lucifer, between us if we had rewards when we actually got there?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 3: 11-15 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

Through the flames, or through big golden gates with a sign that reads, 'Welcome Home' - I don't care just get me there.

No, the streets of gold don't entice me. To me a 'coat of many colors' as a tapestry of a life lived would seem more suited as a funeral / memorial service, a tribute to the earthly deeds done as well as the condition of their heart and mind.

Once you depart and are with Him I just don't see how their could be any reward lesser or greater than another reward in comparison to He Himself. If that were the case what would be the point of rewards in Heaven?

Again I tend to think like this: New Jerusalem is in Heaven, on its way to Earth. In the same way I feel as though our 'rewards in Heaven' are spiritual things only an individual may receive in this life based on their deeds and the conditions of their hearts, such as more peace, maybe a more prosperous home, a better work/life balance, exuding the fruit of the spirit, overall more contentment and functionality in the church. More anointing, more power, more passion, more fire, more faith, more transformation in the self and in the church body through self. Seeing the gospel spread as Jesus intends it to. Seeing more selflessness. Am I rambling?

If God has made it so that we can't come back (at this time) after departure, then I can see the importance of serving in this life. However, once we arrive there, it would seem there is no coming back (for a while) and all the worries we would've had to serve here would dissolve as we are carried away.

Is not God himself the greatest reward? Wouldn't any more or any less create envy or jealousy or pride, like what happened to Lucifer, between us if we had rewards when we actually got there?
Probably most care should be given to arriving there. Sanctification > The Vine and the Branches | Jacob W. Byers

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Matthew 6
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt ... 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust ...

What are these treasures and how may I lay them in Heaven?

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What are these treasures and how may I lay them in Heaven?

Win souls for Yah ( Proverbs 11:30)

Do good works ( Matthew 10:42 , feed poor , visit people in jail , clothe naked ect. )

Read your Bible ( 2 Timothy 2:15)

Love him (John 14:15 love is keeping commandments , not only 10 commandments but all of them )

Feed flock ( 1 Peter 5:2-4)

Revelation 3:11

Crowns :
1 Corinthians 9:25
1 Thessalonians 2:19
James 1:12
1 Peter 5:1-4
2 Timothy 4:8
Revelation 2:10

there was 1 more verse but forgot where it is :mmh:

We are kings and priests , king must have crown
Revelation 1:6
And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Reactions: Valetic
Upvote 0

Drought of the Heart

Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2018
Houston
✟55,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Elihu explains to Job on his bed of suffering this, Job 33:18
He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.
It was the times in my life when I had all I wanted I most forgot Who gave it. It is hard but this life is not about this life. Look at the life of Jeremiah or the prison and abuse Paul took , I never suffered as they did , so I draw from them when I think life should be better. It will be but on on this earth for many . Read Job or Jeremiah in a time the world says it is about now...God Bless it is hard I know my husband has Huntington's and disabled , I lost all I had in 2015 but love God more now than then...

Reactions: chunkofcoal
Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Win souls for Yah ( Proverbs 11:30)

Do good works ( Matthew 10:42 , feed poor , visit people in jail , clothe naked ect. )

Read your Bible ( 2 Timothy 2:15)

Love him (John 14:15 love is keeping commandments , not only 10 commandments but all of them )

Feed flock ( 1 Peter 5:2-4)

Revelation 3:11

Crowns :
1 Corinthians 9:25
1 Thessalonians 2:19
James 1:12
1 Peter 5:1-4
2 Timothy 4:8
Revelation 2:10

there was 1 more verse but forgot where it is :mmh:

We are kings and priests , king must have crown
Revelation 1:6
And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

This is good. Time to study :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Rewards in Heaven

2 Corinthians 5: 1-15 (NIV)
10 For we (BELIEVERS) must all appear before the "judgment (bema = awards platform) seat of Christ",
that each one may receive what is due him for the things done (WORKS) while in the BODY,whether good or bad....

1 Cor. 3 (ALL NASB)...Judgment of the BELIEVERS' WORKS!..MY COMMENTS INCLUDED
11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if any man (BELIEVER ONLY!) builds (WORKS) on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
13 each man’s WORK will become evident;
for "the day" (OF JUDGMENT) will show it (WORKS) because it is to be revealed with fire,
and the fire itself will test the QUALITY of each man’s WORK.
14 If any man’s WORK which he has built on it remains, he will receive a REWARD.
15 If any man’s WORK is burned up, he will suffer loss;(OF REWARDS)
but he himself will be saved,(FROM ETERNAL SPIRITUAL SEPARATION FROM GOD)
yet so as through fire.

Romans 14:10b,12...BELIEVERS:Do not judge "one another"
10b ...For we will all stand before "the judgment seat of God".
12 So then, each of us will be accountable to God....
for whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.

For BELIEVERS ONLY!...
John 15 (NASB)
7 If you ABIDE in Me, and My words abide in you,
ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
8 My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so PROVE to be My disciples.
9 Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; ABIDE in My love.
10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.
11 These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.

Win souls ( Proverbs 11:30)
The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life,
And he who is wise wins souls.

Do good works AFTER SALVATION!
Ephesians 2:10
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

EXAMPLES:
Matthew 25:31-46, =>feed poor , visit people in jail , clothe naked etc.

Spiritually discern Scripture...2 Timothy 2:15
15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed,
accurately handling the word of truth. (word of God)

Mark 15:17
They dressed Him up in purple, and after twisting a crown of thorns, they put it on Him;

Revelation 3:11 (NASB)
11 I am coming quickly; hold fast what you have, so that no one will take your crown. (= reward)

Crowns = Rewards :

1 Corinthians 9:25 ? (NASB)
25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things.
They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, (= reward) but we an imperishable.

1 Thessalonians 2:19?
19 For who is our hope or joy or crown of exultation? Is it not even you, in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming?

James 1:12 = crown of life
12 Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial;
for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

1 Peter 5:1-4 = elders' crown of glory.
4 And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.

2 Timothy 4:8 = crown of righteousness
8 in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness,
which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.

Revelation 2:10 = crown of life.
10 Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested,
and you will have tribulation for ten days.
Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Proverbs 16:31
A gray head is a crown of glory; It is found in the way of righteousness.

Proverbs 17:6
Grandchildren are the crown of old men, And the glory of sons is their fathers.

Psalm 18:20
The Lord has rewarded me according to my righteousness; According to the cleanness of my hands He has recompensed me.

Proverbs 13:13
The one who despises the word will be in debt to it, But the one who fears the commandment will be rewarded.

1 Corinthians 3:14
If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.

Revelation 22:12
“Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Titus 3:8
This is a trustworthy statement; and concerning these things I want you to speak confidently, so that those who have believed God will be careful to engage in good deeds. These things are good and profitable for men.

Hebrews 10:24
and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds,

Upvote 0