Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BOOK REVIEW

VANISHING GRACE
Philip Yancey

It’s been nearly two decades since the publication of Philip Yancey’s “What’s So Amazing About Grace,” a life-altering book that is already a Christian classic. What the book taught me was that grace, like love and forgiveness, is not just something I simply receive from God, but something God requires I give to others. I am meant to be a conduit, a channel of his grace to the world. Grace is something you do not deserve, a gift you can’t earn. You can’t add to it and the only way it works is by giving it away. When you add anything—anything—to it, the good news of grace becomes bad news. And now, almost twenty years later, Yancey returns to the subject in his latest book, “Vanishing Grace: Whatever Happened to the Good News?” (Zondervan, 304pp, $23h).

In the book Yancey cites a quip made by Andy Rooney that drew a lot of flak. In his ‘60-Minutes’ commentary Andy observed, “I’ve decided I’m against abortion. I think it’s murder. But I have a dilemma in that I much prefer the pro-choice to the pro-life people. I would rather eat dinner with pro-choicers.” For that comment CBS was swamped with emails, letters, and phone calls from irate pro-lifers, many of them quoting scriptures, who passionately (and vociferously) found it inconceivable that Rooney would prefer the company of those who “murder innocents” to those who don’t. “In short,” Yancey wrote, “the responses underscored Andy’s point. Who would want to have dinner with such flame-throwers?”

Yancey also reveals something very lacking among Christ’s followers—the art of graciousness. Yancey cites mega-bestselling novelist Anne Rice, who converted to Christ several years ago, but who later declared, “I quit being a Christian. I remain committed to Christ but not to being ‘Christian’ or to being part of Christianity. It’s simply impossible for me to belong to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group.” Ouch! It’s hard to believe that the word ‘Christian’ is becoming a four-letter word. But if my experience with non-churchgoers is any indication, it may be true.

Of course, there’s more, much more, to the subject of grace, especially when observed from someone who, like Yancey, actually understands it. He explores what has contributed to such broad hostility toward conservative evangelicalism, especially in their mixing faith and politics, that instead of embracing grace-filled ways of presenting the gospel takes an aggressive, militant approach. He offers illuminating stories of how faith can be expressed in ways that disarm even the most cynical critics. Then he explores what the Good News really is and worth preserving in a culture that thinks evangelicals are preaching bad news, just calling it good news, and thus are befouling Christian faith in the eyes of pre-believers. Yancey wisely suggests a way of reviving the only thing that makes the good news good—Grace! And we need to revive it before it “vanishes” altogether.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author bio

Philip Yancey
was born in Atlanta and grew up in nearby suburbs. When Yancey was one year old, his father, stricken with polio, died after church members suggested he go off life support in faith that God would heal him. This and other negative experiences with a rigid church contributed to Yancey's losing his faith at one point of time, returning to Christianity while still in high school. After high school he attended Columbia Bible College, where he met his wife, Janet. His two graduate degrees in Communications and English were earned from Wheaton College Graduate School and the University of Chicago.
Yancey moved to Chicago, Illinois, and in 1971 joined the staff of Campus Life magazine—a sister publication of Christianity Today directed towards high school and college students—where he served as editor for eight years. Yancey was for many years an editor for Christianity Today and wrote articles for Reader's Digest, The Saturday Evening Post, Publishers Weekly, Chicago Tribune Magazine, Eternity, Moody Monthly, and National Wildlife, among others. He now lives in Colorado, working as an editor-at-large for Christianity Today. He is a member of the editorial board of Books & Culture, another magazine affiliated with Christianity Today, and travels around the world for speaking engagements.
Yancey is also the author of several bestselling and award-winning books including Where Is God When It Hurts?; Fearfully and Wonderfully Made (with physician Paul W. Brand); What’s So Amazing about Grace?; Disappointment With God; The Jesus I Never Knew; What Good is God?; and Vanishing Grace.

Ref. Zondervan

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not read any christian books in many years ...
i sometimes pick them up and read the cover but feel uninspired to read further ..

lol that didnt come out right ..haha

i think its just that the lord brings books across our path at the right time and then we should certainly read them
but reading many books for the sake of reading them fills a person with knowledge,not the application of it . but only God can fill us with the application of knowledge (wisdom ).
the last book i read was 'the heavenly man " brother yun is the real deal apostle to his peoples , so called by the church ,he never gave himself such a title .
before that many years back at 20-24 yrs old i consumed reverend wurmbrand ,wesley,moody ,finny ,reece howels ,and principles the lord showed me have stuck with me and grown ...

im just shooting the breeze here on the topic of books lol ..
to this day the greatest things i have ever learned in God on the subject of reading .have been from learning a chapter of the bible and asking god by his Holy Spirit to teach me what it means .. nothing has ever topped that ..

it is the actual application of seeking god in prayer and reading his word with desire to understand ..which god delights in us doing and wil never fail to impart himself to us through doing so .
read books ,sure , but never expect the books to some how make you what the book speaks about ... it is the living word of God alone who has the power to do that :)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
BOOK REVIEW

VANISHING GRACE
Philip Yancey

It’s been nearly two decades since the publication of Philip Yancey’s “What’s So Amazing About Grace,”

You should buy a copies of Philip Yancey's book for a lot of the 'holier than thou' folks about:)

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just posted this on a different thread, but relevant here too:

"It seems a small matter to mingle the Law and Gospel, faith and works, but it creates more mischief than man's brain can conceive. To mix Law and Gospel not only clouds the knowledge of grace, it cuts out Christ altogether."
Martin Luther, from his Commentary on the Epistle to the Galatians

There's a great mischief going on in the church today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums