Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi.
Sep 17, 2008
✟7,792.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hey everyone ! :)

I read this passage earlier today. I'm pretty confused about it. Reading the rest of the passage I'm guessing it has something to do with the four horsemen. Though I could be wrong.

If I ask really nicely I'm hoping one of you great people will help me to understand what exacty it means. :D

Many thanks in advance indeed.

Last edited:

call_me_2d

Feb 28, 2009
California
✟15,174.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
if there is one very very important thing to remember about Rev. it's that. It's a dream and completely in metaphor. we wont actually know what most of these things mean until they start happening. i know, i've foun myself fascinated over and over again by Rev. But remeber, everything in it means something else, not to be taken completely literally.

Hope this helped a bit :)

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
This is just a guess, but I would think the scales represent justice and the “wages” represent punishment or reward--as in the “wages of sin is death”. And in ordinary life too--getting wages for work done. It says not to damage the oil and wine. Those things are represented in church as anointments and wine in communion.

I've been reading Revelations some in the last few months. It does use a lot of symbolism, but it also ties into the rest of the bible. So, I feel it can be understood. (Not easily, but possible.)

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here is what the Haydock Catholic Bible Commentary says about verse 5:

Haydock Catholic Bible Commentary said:
Rev 6:5 The third seal....a black horse. This is also commonly expounded of wars and persecutions, and particularly of famine, by the scales in the rider's hand, and by two pounds of wheat being sold for a penny: a great price, considering the value of money at that time. (Witham) --- The black horse represents the public miseries, famines, &c. which, particularly the latter, the Roman empire frequently experienced during the reign of the persecuting emperors. The balance, which the rider is said to hold in his hand, represents the strict manner in which people would measure out whatever they sold during the time of famine. (Andræas; Hamm; Bossuet)

And according to E-Sword, the Haydock Catholic Bible Commentary does not say anything about verse 6. Anyway, I hope this helps. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.