Rev 20:12 - Why bother raising the wicked?

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

Why would God go to the trouble of giving unbelievers glorified and perfected bodies,if He is just going to throw them into hell shortly after?

Is there a resurrection of the wicked and why is this necessary?

Can spirits burn in hell just like fleshly creatures?

What is the difference between a spirit being like the devil burning and an embodied being like a man burning?

What kind of fire burns body and spirit?

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟753,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is best, I think, to look at Revelation 20:11-15. Some will be found in the book of life and some will not. This applies to believers( 1 John 2:4-5 etc.) and non believers as the Lord says in John 5:22-30. It is those who have done good that will be saved and those who were evil that will not be saved.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

Why would God go to the trouble of giving unbelievers glorified and perfected bodies,if He is just going to throw them into hell shortly after?
The NT presents no spiritual physical bodies for the condemned.
To be judged and sentenced.
They can probably experience the equivalent of what would be worse than burning in the separation from God and subjection to evil.
What is the difference between a spirit being like the devil burning and an embodied being like a man burning?
Burning could be a metaphor for intense unending misery.
There can be intense misery of both.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

A few articles on this topic

The Final Judgment – Grace Evangelical Society

Clearing up Confusion about Heaven and Hell — Revelation 20:11–21:4 – Grace Evangelical Society

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is best, I think, to look at Revelation 20:11-15. Some will be found in the book of life and some will not. This applies to believers( 1 John 2:4-5 etc.) and non believers as the Lord says in John 5:22-30. It is those who have done good that will be saved and those who were evil that will not be saved.

Those verses make clear the difference between the believer and unbeliever, saved and unsaved. My question was to do with the difference between the resürrection of the righteous and that for judgment. Why give a wicked man a perfect body just before casting him into hell?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The articles are interesting and perhaps give an indirect answer to my question by clarifying the biblical distinction between the third heaven, new earth and lake of fire. Since the torment of the lake of fire has a physical component as well as mental and spiritual one then a physical body is required. Similarly on the new earth when God dwells with us we will have a physical body and inhabit a physical universe albeit in a perfected form. We were not made for the Third Heaven and could not live there.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why would God go to the trouble of giving unbelievers glorified and perfected bodies

I have a feeling not all bodies will be created equal; they may reflect the soul better than the physical ones we have today. I think we'll know who's who

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known"

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The articles are interesting and perhaps give an indirect answer to my question by clarifying the biblical distinction between the third heaven, new earth and lake of fire. Since the torment of the lake of fire has a physical component as well as mental and spiritual one then a physical body is required. Similarly on the new earth when God dwells with us we will have a physical body and inhabit a physical universe albeit in a perfected form. We were not made for the Third Heaven and could not live there.

Right heaven was never meant to be the home of humans.

Concerning the final judgment God being a God of perfect justice gives everyone (unbelievers) their day in court

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I find more confusion, not less, in the latter article.

Well not really sure of the confusion.

Although i do not agree with his view of the earth as he approaches from a planet earth view point which is a false view of God's creation. Other wise i see most as having good points.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well not really sure of the confusion.

Although i do not agree with his view of the earth as he approaches from a planet earth view point which is a false view of God's creation. Other wise i see most as having good points.
He uses his personal interpretation of prophetic riddles in his explanation, which interpretations are not in agreement with NT apostolic teaching.

I am not in agreement with his interpretation of those prophetic riddles.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In 1 Corinthians 15, God's word says God's children will have glorified bodies. But no scripture to my knowledge says the bodies of the wicked will be glorified and perfected, in their resurrection.

And what we have in Galatians chapter five is the wicked person will "reap corruption". And I understand how Satanic beings have spiritual corruption in them; so from this I consider that the resurrected wicked person will have a corruptly spiritual body . . . not glorious and perfect in the Holy Spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but the resurrection of the wicked will not be glorious in the Holy Spirit. The wicked will be spiritual in Satan's corruption . . . of "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2). Why is this needed? My opinion is that God has vessels for honor and vessels for dishonor > Romans 9:21. Each vessel has a purpose, a function, a reason.

A vessel for honor will be a child of God who is like Jesus, so that Jesus may have "many brethren" to share with as His family for eternity > Romans 8:29.

A vessel for dishonor will be a child of Satan who contains Satan's evil spirit which will be kept and managed in the lake of fire and brimstone. Possibly, it is like how you need containers for toxic waste and they are kept in a special place, so their poisonous filth does not spread.

In each one's resurrection, how that person is becoming in one's character will be greatly multiplied > reaped > "whatever a man sows, that he will also reap," we have in Galatians 6:7-8. Therefore, it is so important that we get rid of anti-God, anti-love things of hatred and nasty anger and clamor and lusts and unforgiveness and arguing and complaining, and become how God's love has us becoming. Because how we become spiritually will be greatly multiplied spiritually to change us and our bodies to spiritually be how we have invested in becoming.

So we trust in Jesus, then, to change us how He desires for us to become with Him for eternity. And have continuing hope for evil people to be changed by God in their character so they may also join us > love "hopes all things" > in 1 Corinthians 13:7.

Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if there will be much of a difference. Each will experience burning . . . with torment.

If a corrupt human has a body, it will be converted to be spiritual in Satan's corruption. So, that body will also suffer spiritual torment. And in case devils are separate from humans and their bodies, then the devils will suffer in their spiritual corruption without resurrected bodies . . . however much each one does. But the horribleness of the torment in sin's corruption will be horrible for both humans and devils in hell.

I consider how a human with a changed body might not suffer as much as a devil who has been always spiritual in being, only. Maybe the changed physical body can help to reduce . . . to dilute . . . the spiritual torment. However, that changed body will no longer have the ability to feel physical pleasures!! People of this world now try to use physical pleasures to keep them from feeling their deep horrible-mess of boredom and loneliness and hate and blaming and arguing and bitterness and unforgiveness and those nasty nagging lusts. But they need to trust in Christ and get rid of that stuff, and grow in how Jesus is, instead . . . the better eternal investment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand that hell will be spiritual. The human bodies in hell will have become spiritual, but in the corruption of Satan's spirit. And a Satanic being . . . devil or human . . . suffers torment in the presence of God. They might suffer less in hell, than in Heaven, then.

I would say a devil can be without a resurrected physical body, while a human in hell will have one's body in a spiritual condition. But both will have the spiritual corruption and its torment which they by nature have in reaction to God.

Well, Hebrews 12:29 does say >

"For our God is a consuming fire." (Hebrews 12:29)

And I understand that God will be present in hell in order to manage the beings in hell. And fire is the only way, really, to manage beings so stubborn as Satan and his people are . . . thinking they are too good for Jesus who is God's own Son, and even showing that they are doing so great without Jesus. Conceit like that can not be reasoned with; only fire can deal with ones like that.

But I offer you a distinction > God is not trying to make ones suffer in hell. It is their own nature of pride which makes them so stubborn plus actually able to suffer in the presence of God who is love. You might have read how those demons were tormented in the presence of Jesus, not loving Him, not appreciating being in His presence.

May be it is kind of like how you in the sunshine can benefit from the sunlight. But that same sunshine can burn a worm which is on the sidewalk, because that worm does not have your nature so it benefits from being in the sunshine. But ones Satanic will blame and accuse God, instead of trusting in Jesus to reconcile us with God and change our character so we are sharing with Jesus in how His love is and has us loving.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

the unsaved dead will be resurrected ... but they do not receive glorified (eternal) bodies.
and with God's final act of judgement ... they will be destroyed (not burning for eternity) ... will cease to exist for eternity.

eternal fire from heaven will destroy them.

Hebrews 9:27 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,

as noted in the verse you quoted .... there are records of everyone's earthly life in heaven and all will be judged according to their record that is stored there.

Judgement .... all will give an account ie ... all will have their day in court ... those covered by the blood of Jesus will be declared innocent (not that we are innocent) ... the lost will not be covered by His blood and declared guilty.

Jesus is our example so we will have a physical body and the records of our life (less all our sin) and will be restored into that body. AMEN!

“See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have” (Luke 24.39).

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,078.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is a resurrection, period; it is a resurrection of all mankind and all shall be changed from their mortal body to an immortal body. Some will be raised to live with God eternally/immortally and the wicked will go to hell for eternally/immortally...their immortal body may make this eternity of suffering possible...a mortal body perhaps would just die the death as they say.
...every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord...then comes the final destination of those who denied Christ as Lord and Savior in their lifetime.
Romans 14:10-12:
10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will acknowledge God.’”
12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.
...and...
Philippians 2:5-11:
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Upvote 0