Retirement...

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
or more likely, lack of it. I guess it is in God's hands. I am not there yet but watch my bank account getting drained to the bottom regularly with "life". This time was a total hip replacement and off work for 3 months. All the daily bills got paid but I still owe for the surgery and my savings has about 20 bucks in it. My husband's retirement plan got drained twice...first time he was diagnosed with cancer and when it returned...so that was gone when he died. His small life insurance policy paid for my schooling but I don't think I ever see getting ahead. Maybe in the next few years as the kids move on to adulthood IF I can keep my health up, I can start to save something for longer than a few months. I am praying for a job that isn't so hard on my body...but no luck so far.

I can't be the only one who knows I need to have a retirement savings but just can't seem to get life to cooperate. I have had to have two surgeries in two years ... and hoping the quality of my life will actually improve now...but I still am doing physical therapy for back pain that I am hoping will not be permanent as my body gets strong again.

For those who are like me, what is your plan to survive old age. I suspect I will be nursing until I can't stand up anymore. Depending on when that happens, I might really be in trouble.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
or more likely, lack of it. I guess it is in God's hands. I am not there yet but watch my bank account getting drained to the bottom regularly with "life". This time was a total hip replacement and off work for 3 months. All the daily bills got paid but I still owe for the surgery and my savings has about 20 bucks in it. My husband's retirement plan got drained twice...first time he was diagnosed with cancer and when it returned...so that was gone when he died. His small life insurance policy paid for my schooling but I don't think I ever see getting ahead. Maybe in the next few years as the kids move on to adulthood IF I can keep my health up, I can start to save something for longer than a few months. I am praying for a job that isn't so hard on my body...but no luck so far.

I can't be the only one who knows I need to have a retirement savings but just can't seem to get life to cooperate. I have had to have two surgeries in two years ... and hoping the quality of my life will actually improve now...but I still am doing physical therapy for back pain that I am hoping will not be permanent as my body gets strong again.

For those who are like me, what is your plan to survive old age. I suspect I will be nursing until I can't stand up anymore. Depending on when that happens, I might really be in trouble.
We will pray for you. God has promised to meet our every need, if we will seek the Kingdom of God first. A few years ago, not long before I retired, I was awarded substantial payout from an incident that happened over 50 years ago. Perfect timing! God knows your every need.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Our real retirement is to be able to enter into His rest. On the 7th day God rested from all His labors.
We also have been given the promise to enter into His rest.
Hebrews 4
Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed. 3 Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

“So I declared on oath in my anger,
‘They shall never enter my rest.’”

And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world. 4 For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “On the seventh day God rested from all his works.” 5 And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.”

6 Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, 7 God again set a certain day, calling it “Today.” This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted:

“Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts.”

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Jesus the Great High Priest
14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is teaching a possibility? Nursing instructors are always needed. Oftentimes there are openings at community colleges. My stepmother and high school teacher built their savings this way. And both positions provided a pension too.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Black ribbon you have been through so much and I am sorry to hear of all the pain you are enduring.
I cannot answer your question , I have health problems and survive on a pension fortnight to fortnight and try as I might to put something aside, something always comes up like car repairs/maintainence, sometimes I feel like I'm just on the edge. I am learning though that God does supply my needs, I have a home, food, clothing,water,warmth.
So I have come to realise I must live by faith, and no it isn't easy but its what I believe we are called to do.And live day by day trusting in His provision.
I am trying not to be fearful of the "what ifs" because all that really does is rob us of our present days peace.
I'm in Australia, so we have a safety net for people, we have Medicare which is free medical care for pensioners and low income and subsidised medications. For this we are truly blessed out here and I think its similar in the UK.

Blackribbon I pray that you will have relief from your pain and the assurance that you are in Gods hands.:groupray:

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Is teaching a possibility? Nursing instructors are always needed. Oftentimes there are openings at community colleges. My stepmother and high school teacher built their savings this way. And both positions provided a pension too.

Teaching requires a Master's in Nursing Education. I may work toward my master's at some time but honestly, that isn't a good use of my time or money right now. My kids need me to be available for them not either at work or studying all the time. And even cheapest programs are thousands of dollars that I don't have right now. Pensions are a thing of the past in nursing. Getting a vacation is very difficult...you have to PTO saved up and every sickness or getting called off drains the bank fast.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Thanks for your encouragement. I am not fearful but rather realistic. I am trying to plan for the future. I am also trying to see if I can pick up a second job that won't be too taxing because my primary job is a bear.

We have medicare when you reach 65, though to get full coverage, you have to buy additional coverage. My hip replacement is costing me about $2000 on my insurance (if you don't count the $1000 I paid for physical therapy the year before). My mom's medicare paid for hip replacement (done two months after mine) is $500. My shallow hip just wore out quicker than hers did.

It is hard to retirement planning if you have no money to plan with. I know I am to the age where I should have already been planning. The hospital is taking out some money each check for a retirement account. I don't even look at it because that way it is "found" money when I use it. However, I won't be able to save up enough to be a real retirement account over the time I work here. And the conditions at work are getting bad enough that I am considering leaving if I can find another job that pays okay.

Maybe this is okay because I don't really have the \
mental energy to even want to plan for my retirement at this time. Many have it much worse. However, I will likely be stuck in the middle ... not enough money to live comfortably...but too rich to qualify for much assistance.

• Prayers
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Our real retirement is to be able to enter into His rest. On the 7th day God rested from all His labors.
We also have been given the promise to enter into His rest.
Hebrews 4
Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed. 3 Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

“So I declared on oath in my anger,
‘They shall never enter my rest.’”

And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world. 4 For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “On the seventh day God rested from all his works.” 5 And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.”

6 Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, 7 God again set a certain day, calling it “Today.” This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted:

“Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts.”

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Jesus the Great High Priest
14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Not exactly sure of what you are saying...because as long as I am on this side of Heaven, there are practicalities that have to be addressed. I don't see going to heaven as "retirement". I seen it as graduation day and a joyful active event. I am getting to the age where I do see my body recovering slower and do know what chronic pain feels like even if I just get up and keep going. My ticket to my graduation day is secure. The waiting time before that is what I am contemplating.

• Agree
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Not exactly sure of what you are saying...because as long as I am on this side of Heaven, there are practicalities that have to be addressed. I don't see going to heaven as "retirement". I seen it as graduation day and a joyful active event. I am getting to the age where I do see my body recovering slower and do know what chronic pain feels like even if I just get up and keep going. My ticket to my graduation day is secure. The waiting time before that is what I am contemplating.
Most people in this world do not have the luxury of getting to rest until they pass onto the next life, and then only if they go to heaven, as there is no rest for the wicked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Teaching requires a Master's in Nursing Education.

To my knowledge CNA programs don’t. I’m not sure about LPNs. Community colleges are funded by local government. Their benefits may differ from nursing schools.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
To my knowledge CNA programs don’t. I’m not sure about LPNs. Community colleges are funded by local government. Their benefits may differ from nursing schools.

I am not sure I want to teach these basic skills. We don't have many educational programs for CNAs around here. Most facilities are willing to do on the job training and don't require the certification. I don't see that they are any the worse for it. But thanks for the suggestion. (LPN jobs are almost non-existent and they are working as NAs even though they are qualified for much more.)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am not sure I want to teach these basic skills. We don't have many educational programs for CNAs around here.

It isn’t glamorous but the money adds up. I forgot the rules differ for each state. They need the certification here for ADN/BSN programs and there’s no on the job training. Hospitals have NP’s, BSN, and PCT’s. LPN’s and CNA’s are in nursing homes with a supervising RN.

What’s your specialty?

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,342.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
If you haven't done so already, my suggestion would be to speak to a financial adviser. You probably won't be the first person in a situation like yours that they'll have seen, and they'll have a better idea as to what there is that can be done than if you were to try to do it by yourself.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
If you haven't done so already, my suggestion would be to speak to a financial adviser. You probably won't be the first person in a situation like yours that they'll have seen, and they'll have a better idea as to what there is that can be done than if you were to try to do it by yourself.

I don't have any money at the moment to manage...and it cost money to hire a financial advisor. The goal is to get to the point where I can hire one, though I don't know how to find a good one even if I wanted one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
It isn’t glamorous but the money adds up. I forgot the rules differ for each state. They need the certification here for ADN/BSN programs and there’s no on the job training. Hospitals have NP’s, BSN, and PCT’s. LPN’s and CNA’s are in nursing homes with a supervising RN.

What’s your specialty?

Med/surg and postpartum (including pre-clampsia). I also have psych experience.

As for teaching CNA, it doesn't really pay that well and is hard to balance with a full-time nursing job. There isn't a lot in nursing that is "glamorous", so that isn't the issue. I love teaching. Teaching CNA's just isn't a high demand job. It is more likely the kind of job I will take when I am at retirement age and still need to work.

Honestly, I wasn't asking so much for advice as asking how other people are approaching it. I can't be the only one who doesn't have a huge retirement savings. My problem isn't poor spending habits but rather expensive life events. I don't know how someone financially prepares to lose a spouse in your early 40s to cancer and all the years battling it or suddenly raising kids as a single parent when the plan was for a two parent family. Debilitating hip arthritis at 53 is another one when I have been physically active all my life. 3 months off work for a hip replacement is expensive. I did manage it. The daily bills got paid and now I will attack the medical ones.

God will provide.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm just in my forties but I think about this a lot. As a divorced mom, struggling to just meet the necessities and way more medical expenses and debt than I can pay, not to mention student loans, I currently don't have much of a retirement to speak of. I, too, have physical limitations that effect my job options. I do have a 401K, but there isn't much in it as of yet.

I'm trying to establish myself as a published writer, hoping that it will generate an income far into my later years. It's slow going though, because I also work full time, and have my son. Also, I don't want to just churn out a lot of stories that lack quality and depth for the sake of income.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,049.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I pray that God will help you in your struggles. It can be very worrying indeed.

On a lighter note, i cant see me retiring for many years as i still have to take my owner out for a walk a few times a day!

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Another concern I have is the cost of longterm health care. I don't have family that I can rely on, unless my sons want to step up and take care of me in my old age. I kind of expect to need assisted living (and honestly wouldn't mind it) or a nursing home at some point. I currently don't have insurance, savings, or real estate assets that could cover it.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,049.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Another concern I have is the cost of longterm health care. I don't have family that I can rely on, unless my sons want to step up and take care of me in my old age. I kind of expect to need assisted living (and honestly wouldn't mind it) or a nursing home at some point. I currently don't have insurance, savings, or real estate assets that could cover it.

I am grateful for the NHS here in the UK. Must be such a strain and worry in USA with having to fund health care oneself

• Agree
Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0