Restaurant Manager Pleads Guilty to Forcing Black Cook to Work for Years Without Pay

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Restaurant Manager Pleads Guilty to Forcing Black Cook to Work for Years Without Pay
A white South Carolina man who managed a buffet restaurant near Myrtle Beach admitted in federal court this week that he had beaten and verbally abused an intellectually disabled black cook, forcing him to work over 100 hours a week without pay for about five years, according to the Justice Department.

In pleading guilty to one count of forced labor on Monday, the defendant, Bobby Paul Edwards, 53, said that he had used violence, threats, isolation and intimidation against the victim, John Christopher Smith — or "JCS," as he is identified in court documents.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That is cruel inhuman slavery, like the slavery of Hebrew in Egypt where God must revenge with deaths.
Slavery is illegal! God! Hope he pays back wages ,plus restitution and goes to jail
Amen.
Vengeance is mine saith the Lord God a......

Jeremiah 22:13
"Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness, and his upper rooms without justice,
who makes his countrymen serve without pay, and will not give him his wages
Malachi 3:5
"Then I will draw near to you for judgment.
And I will be a swift witness against sorcerers and adulterers and perjurers, against oppressors of the widowed and fatherless,
and against those who defraud laborers of their wages and deny justice to the foreigner but do not fear Me," says Yahweh of Hosts
James 5:4
Look! The pay that you withheld from the workers who mowed your fields cries out, and the outcry of the harvesters has reached the ears of the Yahweh of Hosts.

Reve 14:15
And another Messenger came out out of the Sanctuary crying out in a voice great to the one sitting upon the cloud "send! the sickle of thee and reap! that came the hour to reap, that is dried the harvest of the land. [Joel 3:13/Matt 13:30]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Great that he was brought to justice. Scary that something that could still happen in America.
When I see stories about human trafficking in this country, often times it is workers in a shop or store setting, usually immigrants from another country. The other one is far more sinister, and that's sex trafficking, usually women brought from overseas because they owe a debt or threats to the family. Domestically, human trafficking is often kidnappings, exploitation of runaways and exploitation of children. It's everywhere, we simply need to be more vigilant in combating it.

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Edwards faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in a prison and a $250,000 maximum fine. He is also required to pay restitution to the victim, which will be determined at his sentencing hearing. A date has not yet been set.

He should get the maximum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟992,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Noah Ark

May 28, 2018
New Heaven and New Earth
✟3,124.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
....like seriously?
yes there was slavery in america. in fact there was slavery all over the world at one point or another.
The Japanese enslaved mankind in ww2, man as romusha, women as sex slaves/jugan ianfu.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My question is, how on Earth do you get away with something like this today for this long a time without someone else noticing? Five years? And 100 hours a week?

My thoughts as well...perhaps the man has no family, no one to see that he isn't being abused.

Pretty awful either way.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My question is, how on Earth do you get away with something like this today for this long a time without someone else noticing?
Indeed. That is mind boggling.

Five years? And 100 hours a week?
Here in the US, "back wages" would consist of this:

40 hours regular time plus 60 hours at time-and-a half overtime. = 130 paid hours a week.

x 52 weeks a year (Do we really think he was given his 2 weeks vacation every year?) = 6760 paid hours a year

x 5 years = 33800 paid hours total

x $15 per hour minimum wage = $507,000.00 back wages owed.

Upvote 0