Manhattan, KS
✟188,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What responsibility do we each carry for the spiritual health and well being of others?

Say someone says to you they want to know God but never takes the initiative to do the things necessary for a person to grow in God, such as scripture study, prayers, etc.

What role do we each play in developing such people and is there a point when we should stop giving effort to a person/people that are only interested in sounding religious in appropriate settings, but never take action to be so on their own.

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What responsibility do we each carry for the spiritual health and well being of others?

Say someone says to you they want to know God but never takes the initiative to do the things necessary for a person to grow in God, such as scripture study, prayers, etc.

What role do we each play in developing such people and is there a point when we should stop giving effort to a person/people that are only interested in sounding religious in appropriate settings, but never take action to be so on their own.
For such a general question, it's hard to be specific. In general, keep your heart focused on Jesus all the time, pray and ask him what he wants you to do, and you will be led by the Holy Spirit to do as little or as much as God wants you to in every situation. He has not equipped you to respond to every need. In fact, it is very few needs. If you are asking this question, it means, a lot of your attention should just be on your personal relationship with Jesus (as opposed to what you need to do for others)

Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. (Galatians 5:24-25, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

You can't " spiritually develop" stiff-necked people until they willingly submit themselves to the Lord in repentance.

• Winner
Reactions: DavidaAC
Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, most people in today's churches put on a show outside. These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Matthew 15:8 They are the hypocrites who point out others' faults. They are also the prideful, a trait that the Lord hates. I don't think you can change the proud unless the Lord changes them. Frankly, I stay away from them.

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good questions. Your use of the word "never" twice suggests to me some degree of frustration on your part. It's tough to decide when we should wash our hands of a situation and when we should hang in there. I think it important not to let negative things guide our decision. For example, we can let guilt pressure us into continuing on trying to help when it's not our place. We can let a critical spirit decide someone won't amount to anything and give up too soon. I think it is important that we get a spiritual sense of what God wants us to do for each person.

Speaking for myself, I tend to be a person who has a "no one left behind mentality". I'll usually be one of the last people to give up on someone. I see everyone as a unique treasure that God wants to shape into a glorious person that will reflect His glory in a way no one else can. No matter what they are like at the moment, God has something much better He wants to do. I cannot easily turn my back on someone God has not.

Having said that, I do set boundaries to maintain my own spiritual walk. It is only by having an active spiritual life with God's presence flowing through us that we can really help others grow spiritually. We all have to take steps to make sure we don't let this lapse. In addition, I try to spiritually discern where I can make a difference and where I cannot. Often, this is the simple application of experience and common sense. Some people are needy and would suck up all the time and resources I could spend on them without changing. Other people and I simply do not mesh in a way that we can have a fruitful relationship. Other people, I can have an impact on in some meaningful way.

• Winner
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0