Responding to the 'closed canon' argument against special revelations and sign gifts?

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
So, is the Communion, or Eucharist ceremony really that important? Could the "watered down" ceremony be an actual insult to the Lord's death rather than a heart-felt memorial?
I personally dislike all the paraphernalia and ceremony attached to communion, but whatever your take on that, I think this is a great question.
Especially in the light of this verse.
1Cor11v30For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many die.

This reminds me of what we find in the back of the usual instruction manuals, the fault finding section.
Fault.- Sparks noise, and smoke coming from the rear of the motor.
Solution. Check carbon brushes and replace if necessary. etc...

So when I look around the average Church, and I always see many weak, sickly, or dying, then I check the manual to see the cause, which is given in the preceding verse.
1Cor11v29For the one eating and drinking not discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself. (And please note it just says "the body", not the Lord's body or the body of Christ as shown in some translations)

Given all that precedes Pauls description of the communion, and all that follows from it and the next chapter, I believe this is a reference to the human body of Christ, and exalting people one above another.
But given that sickness and death plagues the ekklesia just as badly as the world, I'd love to hear the thoughts of other members of this strange body we dwell in!

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting that Jesus said, "As often as you meet together, remember My death until I come." The only reference to the Lord's Supper in the church is in 1 Corinthians, and it seems that Paul was talking about a fellowship meal where everyone contributed. I wonder if Jesus meant that we remember His death every time we meet together, regardless if we have a meal or not. Perhaps the ceremony of Communion or Eucharist as we know it was not something that Jesus meant at all! Perhaps it is just a man-made ceremony born out of church tradition.

It is interesting that the Salvation Army do not have Communion Services, because the church in the late 1800s used wine and they decided that because of the number of alcoholics who got saved, it was too dangerous for them to take just a small sip of wine and have them go back on the bottle and fall away from Christ. Even without the ceremony of communion, the Sallies still won many to Christ and was a very powerful evangelistic organisation in its day, before it evolved into a social oriented organisation. So avoiding the eucharist did not bring a curse upon them. They obviously remembered the Lord's death in other good ways that suited them and the Lord.

So, is the Communion, or Eucharist ceremony really that important? Could the "watered down" ceremony be an actual insult to the Lord's death rather than a heart-felt memorial?
As with everything, I think it is more a matter of the individual heart than anything else.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
As with everything, I think it is more a matter of the individual heart than anything else.
I think it was King Asa where the Scripture says that he did not remove all the high places of idol worship, therefore not doing everything perfectly as the Lord would have wanted, but the record says that his heart was right with God. (2 Chronicles 14)

There is the description of another King. Amaziah, who did what was pleasing in God's light, but with an imperfect heart. (2 Chronicles 25:2).

So, you are right. It all has to do with the heart.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it was King Asa where the Scripture says that he did not remove all the high places of idol worship, therefore not doing everything perfectly as the Lord would have wanted, but the record says that his heart was right with God. (2 Chronicles 14)

There is the description of another King. Amaziah, who did what was pleasing in God's light, but with an imperfect heart. (2 Chronicles 25:2).

So, you are right. It all has to do with the heart.
2 chron 14 has been a recent theme verse for our church.

Upvote 0