Bucharest
✟17,051.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If brain damage could cause his personality and behaviour to change, he reasoned, then personality and behaviour are determined by brain chemistry and there is no soul that can be responsible for our deeds. If there is no soul and if we cannot be responsible for our deeds, then the Bible is not true and there is no God.

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If brain damage could cause his personality and behaviour to change, he reasoned, then personality and behaviour are determined by brain chemistry and there is no soul that can be responsible for our deeds. If there is no soul and if we cannot be responsible for our deeds, then the Bible is not true and there is no God.

Personality is a characteristic we are born with and also one that develops as we age. It is not determined by chemistry but rather through logical reasoning in our frontal lobe and the memories and emotions attached to it. Behavior is how we tend to act or respond to external influences over our lives. So brain damage can change a person's personality and behavior but not in the way suggested. Whatever part of the brain that is damaged fails to properly function in its given role, thereby causing the inability to have any "control" over his thoughts or actions. A person who has a fully functional brain is in "control" of their thoughts and actions.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Brain damage doesn't destroy the soul. The soul will still be alive in the body, even if it can't express itself.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

Is he implying he has no control over his actions now? When he means to talk, does he talk? When he means to eat, does he eat? When he means to relieve himself, does he relive himself? When he means to go to bed, does he go to bed?

Yea, he's still in control of his actions and accountable for them as well.

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yea, he's still in control of his actions and accountable for them as well.
People with Turettes Syndrome cannot control bouts of "cursing" and such, those with Schizophrenia cannot control the voices in the head and the delusions they hear and see. This is just a couple of examples of brain damage.....you clearly do not understand the functions of the brain. Which I have a degree in Nursing and have studied it.

Upvote 0

PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟35,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have worked with quite a few Alzheimer's patients. Those who are Christians are markedly different from those who are not. And even when the memory is gone so far that family members are no longer recognized... Christians with Alzheimer's will still light up when they talk about Jesus... and they still will remember the words of Scripture, and of hymns.

• Agree
Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
People with Turettes Syndrome cannot control bouts of "cursing" and such, those with Schizophrenia cannot control the voices in the head and the delusions they hear and see. This is just a couple of examples of brain damage.....you clearly do not understand the functions of the brain. Which I have a degree in Nursing and have studied it.

I know that people can make choices, and as such are responsible for their choices. I don't have to know anything about the brain to understand such a simple concept. Notice I said choices, something your comment didn't address at all.

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know that people can make choices, and as such are responsible for their choices. I don't have to know anything about the brain to understand such a simple concept. Notice I said choices, something your comment didn't address at all.
Agree....if a person is able to choose then they are responsible for their choices....I guess I misunderstood what you were implying. My humble apologies.

Upvote 0