Senior Veteran
Aug 13, 2005
Arkansas
✟20,194.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Everyone knows some truth. Everyone is right about something. Even the most evil of people get something right. Traditionally, members of the mafia have great family values. They are loyal. They will kill for their loyalty, but they are loyal, nonetheless.

When seeking to reach out to those around you who do not have a relationship with Christ, it’s best to find out first what they already know, because they are getting something right. Think about it: Who would you rather be around – someone who agrees with you or someone who is always pointing out where you are wrong?

Ask the Holy Spirit to make you sensitive to the spiritual needs of those around you who do not know Christ. Make it your goal to find out about the spiritual journey of others. One pastor suggests we pray, “Father, help me to understand what is keeping this person from knowing you.” We can’t make people believe, but we may be able to help remove some of their barriers to believing.

It’s not necessary to clear the table of someone’s pre-Christian spiritual journey before you can set up Christ. Chances are Christ is already on their table somewhere in the form of truth. Jesus said he was the truth, so that all truth has something to do with Jesus. You can work this either way. You can start with Jesus and lay out the truth, or you can start with the truth and work your way back to Jesus. Starting with Jesus works fine for those who already believe in him and want to learn more. Starting with truth is best for those who may have doubts about Jesus but might relate to the truths he espoused.

“Jesus said that?” someone might say.

“Yes,” you could say in response, “and would you be interested in hearing some other things he said as well?”
What’s important is that we have enough respect for people to value what they already know, and then make ourselves available and willing to find out.

As Christians, we need to always remember we are not persuading people about God all by ourselves. The Holy Spirit is doing this and was already doing it before we came along. We can introduce people to Jesus, but we cannot make anyone believe; just like you can lead a horse to water. but you can’t make it drink.

“I try to please everyone in everything I do. I don’t just do what I like or what is best for me, but what is best for them so they may be saved.” (1 Corinthians 10:33 NLT)