✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, All

My daughter has been given an assignment in school to write a paper in opposiontion to evolution according to Darwin. The problem is the teacher is only providing resources "pro" Darwin. So if you know of any online stuff that would help would you be so kind as to post it here.

Peace to u,

Bill

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
BBAS 64 said:
Good Day, All

My daughter has been given an assignment in school to write a paper in opposiontion to evolution according to Darwin. The problem is the teacher is only providing resources "pro" Darwin. So if you know of any online stuff that would help would you be so kind as to post it here.

Peace to u,

Bill

"Although much remains obscure, and will long remain obscure, I can entertain no doubt, after the most deliberate study and dispassionate judgement of which I am capable, that the view which most naturalists entertain, and which I formerly entertained -- namely, that each species has been independently created -- is erroneous. I am fully convinced that species are not immutable; but that those belonging to what are called the same genera are lineal descendants of some other and generally extinct species, in the same manner as the acknowledged varieties of any one species are the descendants of that species. Furthermore, I am convinced that Natural Selection has been the main but not exclusive means of modification. "

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/origin/introduction.html

Darwin's On the Origin of Species was one long arguement against 'special creation'. It is not considered science if the evidence suggests that God or an intelligent designer created life, or anything else for that matter. What they don't want to admit is that Darwinism is itself theological, all antithesitic arguments are.

"The imperfection argument for evolution is popular and compelling. It draws on widely shared intuitions about God and the nature and history of the structure of organisms. Discussing the argument with philosophers and biologists, I was struck by how many of them accepted it unreservedly as an impeccable piece of scientific reasoning.

Despite its wide appeal, however, the argument is also deeply problematical. The argument employs theological concepts, such as "a wise creator," and aesthetic or teleological notions, "perfection" and "imperfection," that cannot perform the analytical and empirical work required of them. Each premise of the argument is attended with difficulties."

http://www.arn.org/docs/nelson/pn_jettison.htm

If arguments for 'special creation' are not allowed in science, then why are arguments against 'special creation' allowed?

Darwinism argues against 'special creation' but no one is allowed to argue for it. That and the fact that natural selection does not explain the very thing it is supposed to, the complete transformation of one species into another. (see my signiture)

"...evolutionary biology, has not identified a specifically causal explanation for the origin of true morphological novelty during the history of life. "

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=2177

Hope that helps a little.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Dannager said:
An English class assignment? That sounds a little odd to me.

Really? I've been given assignments in English to write on one side or the other of hot topics. The last one I chose was psychological in nature and the teacher's wife was a psychiatrist. He didn't agree with the side of the arguement I took.

But seriously, why knit pick about this?

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pats said:
Really? I've been given assignments in English to write on one side or the other of hot topics. The last one I chose was psychological in nature and the teacher's wife was a psychiatrist. He didn't agree with the side of the arguement I took.

When I was in high school, I was also given assignments for which research on controversial topics was required. Most of them were self-assignments, though. That is, we were allowed to pick a topic and get it "okayed" by the teacher.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Pats said:

Willtor said:
When I was in high school, I was also given assignments for which research on controversial topics was required. Most of them were self-assignments, though. That is, we were allowed to pick a topic and get it "okayed" by the teacher.
Exactly - you picked the topic that you offered up a viewpoint on. It seems very odd to me that an English teacher would choose to assign a topic like this to a student.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
An English class assignment? That sounds a little odd to me.

It's probably an "investigative study" where the project is about researching some current issue. For example I'm in the middle of an ESL project on "music piracy", which actually belongs a little more to economics or legal studies, but which is accessible current knowledge for most students.

Of course, evolution is really a non-issue scientifically, but the sociological aspects of the crevo debate are pretty interesting.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
shernren said:
It's probably an "investigative study" where the project is about researching some current issue. For example I'm in the middle of an ESL project on "music piracy", which actually belongs a little more to economics or legal studies, but which is accessible current knowledge for most students.

Of course, evolution is really a non-issue scientifically, but the sociological aspects of the crevo debate are pretty interesting.

<tangent>
You know, I've never even detected a single linguistic artifact in any of your posts. Quite the opposite, actually. You seem to have total mastery over the English language. Are you teaching the ESL class, or are you a student?
</tangent>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
shernren said:

Yes, I understand that probably is the case, but the OP indicates that his daughter had been given this assignment and makes no mention of the daughter selecting the topic for herself. I can understand the teacher only having access to scientific material if the student herself decided to undertake this project.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.