Baltimore, MD
✟12,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've been away awhile -- got hitched and have been settling in. I now have a stepson, age 8, who lives with his mom and stepfather. Mom is Quaker; stepdad used to be kinda Orthodox but doesn't seem to practice anything now. My husband and I are Orthodox (I was chrismated in May), and we get to see our boy about once per week for a few hours. We all get along very well, and the mom is supportive of the child learning about Orthodoxy and having him go to church with us. He was baptized and chrismated in the Orthodox church as a baby, but he's had minimal exposure to Orthodoxy since he was about 3.

There are a lot of resources for Orthodox parenting, which I'm starting to read. Does anyone know of any Orthodox resources specifically for stepparenting?

I know building the relationship with my new kid will take time. I may have found a way to connect with him. For Nativity we gave him the book Sasha and the Dragon and an icon of St. Michael the Archangel who slew the dragon under Sasha's bed in the story. He loves both. When we visited a Greek church recently for a food festival, I pointed out St. Michael on the iconostasis, which spurred a hunt for warrior saints. We found St. George and St. Demetrios. I'm going to try to ride that warrior saint wave -- I found a children's book from Ancient Faith on warrior saints to give to him. (It's great, if you're looking for a book for kids. It includes a story, mini bio, feast day, and troparion for each.) Hopefully he'll enjoy it, and it'll open a door for us.

Thank you!

Reactions: ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome back!

I'm afraid I can't offer suggestions - my child is grown and all I can say is that having an Orthodox mindset while raising children is an awesome thing - I wish I hadn't missed that. But glory to God for your family. :) I hope you find good resources.

Upvote 0