• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Resolution to overturn Prop 8 passes legislative committee.

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by OphidiaPhile, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OphidiaPhile

OphidiaPhile Well-Known Member

+158
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    A legislative committee on Tuesday endorsed legal efforts to overturn California's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, as gay rights activists worked the halls of the Capitol to try to get the full Legislature on record as opposing Proposition 8.
    After hearing conflicting and often emotional testimony about who deserves the last say on the marriage question, the Assembly Judiciary Committee voted 7-3 in favor of a resolution stating that citizens lacked the authority to put the gay marriage ban directly to voters.
    Supporters of the resolution, authored by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, said that because the November measure stripped same-sex couples of a right they already enjoyed, it should have been up to the Legislature to decide whether to submit it to a popular vote. That is the process California has for making significant changes to the state Constitution.

It looks like we now have the Governor, Attorney General, State Legislature and CA Supreme Court all backing an overturning of the controversial proposition.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11723612

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. The Nihilist

The Nihilist Contributor

+440
    Atheist
    rad

3. Beanieboy

Beanieboy Senior Veteran

+882
    Christian
    I think it is inevitable. It's not Constitutional. And the US is behind Canada, for crying in the sink..

4. QuakerOats

QuakerOats — ♥ — Living in Love — ♥ —

+177
    Private
    CA-Greens
    This is awesome news. :thumbsup: Now overturn it already!

5. Sylvanspirits

Sylvanspirits Senior Member

+75
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    Good news. :)

6. Gilyon

Gilyon Newbie

+11
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I feel conflicted about this actually... I don't feel it's the place of the legislature at this point to do anything about it -- the State Supreme Court should be the one to figure out the legality of it.

7. The Nihilist

The Nihilist Contributor

+440
    Atheist
    Especially familiar with CA law, are you?

8. Gishin

Gishin Well-Known Member

+238
    Atheist
    Married
    Excellent news. I am waiting to here the cries from the people who focus on the patriarchy.

9. Gilyon

Gilyon Newbie

+11
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Well, unless CA has some strange backwards separation of powers where it's the legislatures job to interpret law, I was assuming it was the same as every where else in the US.

10. OphidiaPhile

+158
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    In CA any amendment to the state Constitution that effects civil rights is required to be placed on the ballot by a two thirds vote and prop 8 was not so it is unconstitutional.

11. ChaliceThunder

ChaliceThunder Guest

+0
    Excellent move by the legislature.
    A massive wrong is about to be righted!
    :clap:

12. Gilyon

Gilyon Newbie

+11
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I know; it's the job of the judicial branch to say that. <shrug> It's how it works.

13. Ave Maria

Ave Maria Ave Maria Gratia Plena

+1,544
    United States
    Catholic
    Engaged
    US-Republican
    Truly awesome! Now would they please just go ahead and overturn it! Personally, I'll be glad when gay marriage is legal throughout the United States. :thumbsup:

14. Polycarp_fan

Polycarp_fan Well-Known Member

+91
    Christian
    Private
    Ah yes, the Elites ruling the little people.

So much for Democracy huh?

Ah the Bible's accuracy ever-present.

15. b&wpac4

b&wpac4 Trying to stay away

+372
    Judaism
    Engaged
    Ok, say it with me now:

CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC

We are not, and I would like for you to understand this, NOT a democracy. We are not based on majority rule, but the rule of law.

16. OphidiaPhile

+158
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    He will choose not to understand that very simple concept.

17. Axioma

Axioma Eccentric, Culture Ulterior (Absconded)

+154
    Atheist
    Single
    Yeah, the Bible's all about Democracy, isn't it? Shouldn't you be advocating monarchy as the only godly and godfearing system of government?

18. Gishin

Gishin Well-Known Member

+238
    Atheist
    Married
    He's a deceitful brick wall. You can say all these things all you want, he chooses not to listen and will repeat the same rhetoric like you said nothing at all.

19. Joachim

Joachim The flag is a protest for state flags

+105
    Catholic
    Private
    US-Democrat

If you use the legislature to override the will of the people that is a misuse of political power. If you oppose Proposition 8 then do it the right way. I don't live in a referendum state but California is one. If you believe you can overturn it then start passing out your petitions. Surely, if 48% of voters in November voted against passing it then you have enough people to get the signatures to put it on the ballot come next election, and in the next election round minority and lower income turnout will be lower meaning you will have a greater chance of passing it.

I would be careful in celebrating this. If the assembly can establish a precedent here that they can decide what can be decided by referenda then you could see a degredation of the referenda system in California. I blame California for a lot of things, not the least of which being allowing their real estate market to get so out of control that when it finally crashed it took the rest of the country with them. I still admire them for the amount of democracy that is present within the governmental structure of the state specifically through referendums and recall votes because I live in a state where there is no referendum system, there is no recall provision and a state where a decision on whether to build a ditch in one of the areas that does not have home rule (and only a few counties and cities have it) is made by the entire state legislature.

If gay activists want to get rid of Prop 8 they should do it the right way, they should win at the ballot box. Blacks won't be turning out in as great of numbers in 2010 as they did in 2008 and that alone might be enough to repeal it. Why create a bad precedent for the future by using a legislative override when you can simply do it the American way, and dare I say the Californian way in the 2010 elections. Let the people vote.

20. OphidiaPhile

+158
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    It was not put on the ballot legally in the first place, that is what the legislature is stating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.