Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Europe is in the midst of a fiscal crisis caused by too much government spending, yet many of the continent’s politicians want the European Central Bank to purchase the dodgy debt of reckless welfare states such as Spain, Italy, Greece, and Portugal in order to prop up these big government policies.

So it’s especially noteworthy that economists at the European Central Bank have just produced a study showing that government spending is unambiguously harmful to economic performance. Here is a brief description of the key findings.

…we analyse a wide set of 108 countries composed of both developed and emerging and developing countries, using a long time span running from 1970-2008, and employing different proxies for government size… Our results show a significant negative effect of the size of government on growth. …Interestingly, government consumption is consistently detrimental to output growth irrespective of the country sample considered (OECD, emerging and developing countries).

There are two very interesting takeaways from this new research. First, the evidence shows that the problem is government spending, and that problem exists regardless of whether the budget is financed by taxes or borrowing. Unfortunately, too many supposedly conservative policy makers fail to grasp this key distinction and mistakenly focus on the symptom (deficits) rather than the underlying disease (big government).

European Central Bank Research Shows that Government Spending Undermines Economic Performance « International Liberty

Politicians argue for increased stimulus spending, as opposed to spending cuts, on the grounds that it would speed up economic recovery. This argument might have it exactly backward. Indeed, history shows that cutting spending in order to reduce deficits may be the key to promoting economic recovery. …recent stimulus packages have proven that the “multiplier”—the effect on GDP per one dollar of increased government spending—is small. Stimulus spending also means that tax increases are coming in the future; such increases will further threaten economic growth. Economic history shows that even large adjustments in fiscal policy, if based on well-targeted spending cuts, have often led to expansions, not recessions. Fiscal adjustments based on higher taxes, on the other hand, have generally been recessionary. My colleague Silvia Ardagna and I recently co-authored a paper examining this pattern, as have many studies over the past 20 years. Our paper looks at the 107 large fiscal adjustments—defined as a cyclically adjusted deficit reduction of at least 1.5% in one year—that took place in 21 Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries between 1970 and 2007. …Our results were striking: Over nearly 40 years, expansionary adjustments were based mostly on spending cuts, while recessionary adjustments were based mostly on tax increases. …In the same paper we also examined years of large fiscal expansions, defined as increases in the cyclically adjusted deficit by at least 1.5% of GDP. Over 91 such cases, we found that tax cuts were much more expansionary than spending increases. How can spending cuts be expansionary? First, they signal that tax increases will not occur in the future, or that if they do they will be smaller. A credible plan to reduce government outlays significantly changes expectations of future tax liabilities. This, in turn, shifts people’s behavior. Consumers and especially investors are more willing to spend if they expect that spending and taxes will remain limited over a sustained period of time. On the other hand, fiscal adjustments based on tax increases reduce consumers’ disposable income and reduce incentives for productivity. …Europe seems to have learned the lessons of the past decades: In fact, all the countries currently adjusting their fiscal policy are focusing on spending cuts, not tax hikes. Yet fiscal policy in the U.S. will sooner or later imply higher taxes if spending is not soon reduced. The evidence from the last 40 years suggests that spending increases meant to stimulate the economy and tax increases meant to reduce deficits are unlikely to achieve their goals. The opposite combination might.
Overwhelming Evidence for Less Government Spending « International Liberty

Last edited by a moderator:

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Research may lead to conclusions, but history shows results.

If that confuses you look up the Great Depression in America and study what happened.

Massive government slowed the recovery until we entered WWII. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There's nothing like war to improve the economy.

Oh wait, war means destruction and death....There's nothing quite like moving from unemployed to living in a foxhole.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing like war to improve the economy.

Oh wait, war means destruction and death....There's nothing quite like moving from unemployed to living in a foxhole.

While I think war is terrible, the sad truth is that it does improve the economy, provided you aren't the poor side being bombed.

Also while I am not "pro-war" I am not "anti-war" either. I am not a pacifist.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Link to study referred to by the Cato guy: http://www.ecb.int/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp1399.pdf

I would like to know how the study's authors would rank the US compared with the EU and Scandinavian countries.

In addition, the negative effect on growth stemming from the government size variables is more attenuated for the case of Scandinavian legal origins, while the negative effect of government size on GDP per capita growth is stronger at lower levels of civil liberties and political rights.

Finally, and for the EU countries, we find statistically significant positive coefficients on overall fiscal rule and expenditure rule indices, meaning that having better fiscal rules in place improves GDP growth.

Where does the US stand with regards to civil liberties and fiscal rules compared to the countries studied?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Every year of the Great Depression showed improvment except when spending dropped. What really brought us out the Great Depression wasn't WWII, per se, it was the massive increase in spending to ramp up for it.

The reality is that we never paid down the WWII debt, but it became mostly irrelavant. Deficit spending in bad/war times spending isn't the problem. The problem is deficit spending in good/peace times. For that let's not forget, that it was Reagan and the Dem congress in the 80's that started us on the path of high deficit spending in good/peace times even after the Cold War ended.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I think war is terrible, the sad truth is that it does improve the economy, provided you aren't the poor side being bombed.

I think it's just a misconception that people have that war improves the economy. I don't think war improves the economy, though people do have jobs and GDP numbers might even rise.

People may be employed, but it does matter what they are being employed to do. They aren't being employed to meet consumer taste's and preferences. They aren't doing things that improve quality of life. They are being employed to destroy assets. War destroys wealth. War is a bad thing. Sometimes it has to be done, but war is destructive by nature.

Saying war is helpful to an economy is the old "broken window" fallacy which says that a broken window is helpful since it employs a window repair man to come and fix it. This is a fallacy because it fails to account for the counterfactual - for how those resources would have been used had the window not been broken. The same is true of war. Saying that war is good for an economy fails to account for how those resources (some of which literally died in the war) would have been used otherwise.

Millions of people dying and suffering, destruction of assets, homes, businesses and wealth isn't good for an economy.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If that were true, then why was there no economic stimulous associated with the first Gulf War?

The answer is simple, that war was mostly fought out of our surplus that was built up during the Cold War. Of course, that explains the boom in the 80's which then in turn undermines the tax cut as a boom argument.

Upvote 0
C

conamer

And because of government intervention through its spending that 14% rate was down from 25%.

How convinient that would be if it were true.

unemployment rate:
1930-8.9
1931-15.9
1932-23.6
1933-24.9
1934-21.7
1935-20.1
1936-17.0
1937-14.3
1938-19.0
1939-17.2
1940-14.6
1941-9.9
1942-4.7

Trends are all big government spenders can point to. The trend was spead the suffering by taking money out of the economy and bloating government. FDR prolonged the great Depression by 7 years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How convinient that would be if it were true.

unemployment rate:
1930-8.9
1931-15.9
1932-23.6
1933-24.9
1934-21.7
1935-20.1
1936-17.0
1937-14.3
1938-19.0
1939-17.2
1940-14.6
1941-9.9
1942-4.7

Trends are all big government spenders can point to. The trend was spead the suffering by taking money out of the economy and bloating government. FDR prolonged the great Depression by 7 years.
Care to guess what happened in '38 that is associated with the jump from 14.3% to 19%?

How you come up with FRD prolonged the Depression by 7 years is a mystery. However, according to your own data and the known cut to spending that caused a 5% jump in unemployement it's demonstratable that the cut in spending added at least 3 years as it took until '40 to get back to '37 levels.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Considering that america spent a lot in the war it undermines your origional argument a bit.

Spending as a percent of GDP:

real-spending-vs-gdp-1929-2009.jpg

Or dosen't military spending count as government spending?

FDR would have had to spend more than triple what he was to do the same ammount of spending as WWII

Upvote 0