Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes but it was quoted in this thread in support of the idea that other denominations are not Christians. Nobody in this thread mentioned anything about Calvinists in the Orthodox Church previous to this post. So this quote was out of context and shouldn’t have been presented as evidence pertaining to other denominations not being in the body of Christ.
no, it should have since other denominations are not in the Body of Christ. and it is relevant since we Orthodox confess that the Orthodox Church is the Body of Christ, and stopped any notion that bishops are not needed.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
no, it should have since other denominations are not in the Body of Christ. and it is relevant since we Orthodox confess that the Orthodox Church is the Body of Christ, and stopped any notion that bishops are not needed.

So we’re right back at square one where churches that don’t have bishops are not Christian. My church doesn’t have a bishop therefore your saying I’m not a Christian.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

So what was the point of bringing up the context if your still going to apply it to denominations outside of that context? That just brought us right back to the same issue in the first place that this was quoted in response to people in other denominations being in the body of Christ. Why bring up the context to indicate that it wasn’t pertaining to people outside the EOC if your still going to apply it to people outside the EOC? You were just explaining the importance of context and now your using it in the same context that I originally said it was being used in.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So we’re right back at square one where churches that don’t have bishops are not Christian. My church doesn’t have a bishop therefore your saying I’m not a Christian.

no, the council speaks to those IN the Body of Christ, not those outside her.

so, I still believe you are Christian.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So what was the point of bringing up the context if your still going to apply it to denominations outside of that context? That just brought us right back to the same issue in the first place that this was quoted in response to people in other denominations being in the body of Christ. Why bring up the context to indicate that it wasn’t pertaining to people outside the EOC if your still going to apply it to people outside the EOC? You were just explaining the importance of context and now your using it in the same context that I originally said it was being used in.

because aspects of it can still apply to Protestants in a discussion like this, even if it wasn’t directed at any modern Protestant. I can use arguments against Nestorius for Nestorian tendencies in certain aspects of Protestantism. that doesn’t invalidate the argument or change who the synod in Ephesus was directed against

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
no, the council speaks to those IN the Body of Christ, not those outside her.

so, I still believe you are Christian.

I’m struggling to follow you. So your saying that bishops are necessary to be in the body of Christ but not necessary to be a Christian?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
because aspects of it can still apply to Protestants in a discussion like this, even if it wasn’t directed at any modern Protestant. I can use arguments against Nestorius for Nestorian tendencies in certain aspects of Protestantism. that doesn’t invalidate the argument or change who the synod in Ephesus was directed against

Ok that makes sense.

• Agree
Reactions: Cody J Dunbar
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’m struggling to follow you. So your saying that bishops are necessary to be in the body of Christ but not necessary to be a Christian?
correct. it's not my place to judge your faith in Christ. however, I can (and must, as an Orthodox priest) affirm where the Body of Christ IS, which is the Orthodox Church.

• Love
Reactions: Cody J Dunbar
Upvote 0