✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello,
Long ago, I chose truth for one of my main values.
After a good deal of years of isolation, I currently wonder whether such a value, with its universal character, does or not lead its promoter to be suspiciously considered as a worldly glory seeker. For indeed, he deals with this universality and looks subsequently like someone wishing to attract universal adhesions, like idols, volontarily or not, do.
Do you think adoration and gatherings of truths can lead there, or do you consider spurious this thesis?

Johnny4ChristJesus

Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,
After a good deal of years of isolation, I currently wonder whether such a value, with its universal character, does or not lead its promoter to be suspiciously considered as a worldly glory seeker. For indeed, he deals with this universality and looks subsequently like someone wishing to attract universal adhesions, like idols, volontarily or not, do.
Do you think adoration and gatherings of truths can lead there, or do you consider spurious this thesis?

Jesus said "we would know the Truth and the Truth would set us free". Jesus warned about the false, as did every other writer in the New Testament. So, it would seem that to walk in the Spirit--who is the Spirit of Truth whose job is to "lead us into all truth"--it would be imperative to have "seeking the Truth" as one of our main values. If not, we are likely to believes lies masquerading as the Truth. God knows there are many costly lies out there now. And how many splits and denominations that, according to Scripture, shouldn't be?

Sadly, there is also a lot that isn't done out of a pure heart; but out of a worldly and self-centered heart. You know what your motivation is. Don't let others' labels stop you, if your heart doesn't condemn you. But, if your heart condemns you, then don't. God is greater than your heart and He knows all things.

Isn't it interesting that if you fall in love with the Word and choose to bury yourself in The Word, you are called a "no it all" or "someone who thinks he is better than others", or "super-spiritual" as a slight, etc. But, if you study math or music or english or biology and really bury yourself in it, you are considered an expert in your field and people value your opinion about things in that area. I have always found that fascinating. Have you noticed that, too?

• Agree
Reactions: peter2
Upvote 0

peter2

Ordinary life contemplative
Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello Johnny,
Thank you for your answer,
Have you noticed that, too?
I had never! But it illustrates wonderfully what I mean.
I'm glad to see that in spite of the apparent mere spuriousness of these ideas, you aren't reluctant to question on their hypothetical truthfulness. Indeed, all that we wrote doesn't have the consistance of any truth in the words of the Gospel, but it looks like it wouldn't necessarily be a lie, or an error.
Many thanks for this.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Johnny,
Thank you for your answer,

I had never! But it illustrates wonderfully what I mean.
I'm glad to see that in spite of the apparent mere spuriousness of these ideas, you aren't reluctant to question on their hypothetical truthfulness. Indeed, all that we wrote doesn't have the consistance of any truth in the words of the Gospel, but it looks like it wouldn't necessarily be a lie, or an error.
Many thanks for this.

But it is consistent. Jesus was asked by Pilate: "what is truth?" After Jesus was quite clear. Jesus said "No servant is greater than his master. If they have persecuted me, they will persecute you. If they hear My words, they will hear yours, too. If they don't hear My words, they won't hear you either. And so on.

Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But it is consistent
Yes, it is more than I previously thought. I had never related these passages

Jesus was asked by Pilate: "what is truth?
Pilate sounds like he makes fun of truth. It's right

If they hear My words, they will hear yours, too.
In my bible, the hearing of his words are related with an intention to trap him into making mistake. His acceptance of crucifixion is the proof of His divine filiation, that He refused to deny. Thank you Johnny, It had never occured to me it was to protect the very fragile and innocent truth from lie that He died, taking and keeping it intact with him into death.
It's thus more comforting to follow his lead by abstaining from lie.

If they don't hear My words, they won't hear you either.
This I have not in my bible.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello,
Truth can be seen as a noun and a verb. By that I mean when Pilate asked what is truth Truth was actually standing right in front of him. John 3:21 says that we should do the truth and in doing so we will come to the light. Believing the truth of what we have acquired from Christ rather than the lies believed by the world and in reckoning them to be true one acts according to the truth. Prayer and searching the scriptures brings one always closer to the light because the mind is yielded to the truth.
Loving the Truth, seeking the (T)truth, yielding to the (T)truth, following the (T)truth.

In seeking truth as the main objective, in effect your seeking to know your true state of heart before God.

When John spoke of walking in the truth(Greek = reality) he meant in genuineness and sincerity and denotes the divine reality becoming mankind's genuineness and sincerity. (the opposite of hypocrisy) God is the source of light, truth is the realization of the divine life in us. John 1:9

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
After a good deal of years of isolation, I currently wonder whether such a value, with its universal character, does or not lead its promoter to be suspiciously considered as a worldly glory seeker.
We can get isolated in seeking truth of ideas.

But in seeking how God's love is true . . . we get more with God and loving any and all people.

he deals with this universality and looks subsequently like someone wishing to attract universal adhesions, like idols, volontarily or not, do.
The truth of God's word is not only in wording our ideas correctly. But the truth includes all which these words are talking about. We need to experience the love meaning of God's word, discovering how God in His love has us living His word; this is included in the truth.

Jesus Himself is "the truth" (John 14:6).

Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello Cassia,
Thank you for your answer, which I didn't understand first.
Truth can be seen as a noun and a verb. By that I mean when Pilate asked what is truth Truth was actually standing right in front of him.
. To be honest, I try and not dissociate both: It's as if what you call truth was actually alive, incarnated and living into, and through the body of what you call Truth.The opposite, on the flipside, would be true of lie and Lie, thriving into and through sin and the demoniac spirits, trying to get into the body of flesh of sinners, for lack of personal flesh. But I'm not sure of myself. Just looks like that!
When Pilate asked what is truth, he perhaps merely revealed he didn't know it, for he had never coped with it.

In seeking truth as the main objective, in effect your seeking to know your true state of heart before God
I heartily agree with you. May be is it the major step to get into the kingdom.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Cassia,
Thank you for your answer, which I didn't understand first.
. To be honest, I try and not dissociate both: It's as if what you call truth was actually alive, incarnated and living into, and through the body of what you call Truth.The opposite, on the flipside, would be true of lie and Lie, thriving into and through sin and the demoniac spirits, trying to get into the body of flesh of sinners, for lack of personal flesh. But I'm not sure of myself. Just looks like that!
I suppose that is true. The spirit of Satan working thru the flesh. Not sure how that works but the flesh is the only part that remains unredeemed in the life of a believer. The mind's is in transformation but can still be swayed and the spirit should be under submission to the Holy Spirit or all is being usurped by satan. The spirit controls the mind and the mind controls the body. All as a result of the Holy Spirit. I wish there were set terms for talking about things like that because most know the same things but use different words to express them.
John 16:13
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Satan as "incarnated and living into, and through the body of what you call Lies" would in that case seem to be the reverse order of appearances when the anti-christ is come.
2 Thessalonians 2, Paul prophesied of a “man of sin,” a liar and deceiver whose natural abilities Satan enhances by supernatural power in order to confuse people in the end time.
“The term . . . appears to have become increasingly equivalent to a proper name as the personification of all that was opposed to and contrary to the role and ministry of Christ.”

I heartily agree with you. May be is it the major step to get into the kingdom.
It may be. You've brought up an interesting topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We need to experience the love meaning of God's word, discovering how God in His love has us living His word; this is included in the truth.
Hello Bill,
Glad to read you again.
May be you'll feel it like a disappointment, but for this path I looked for in earlier threads I have chosen to go back practising catholicism.

As for the previous quote, I currently experiment through prayers, CF, bible reading and Mass its truthfulness, and besides, I' m starting to realize how deep and wide is its scope. Let's be joyful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It may be. You've brought up an interesting topic.
Thanks.
I'm delighted to meet someone that shares my concerns for not omitting this neglected value, and besides, that speaks of it with the caution of doubts.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks.
I'm delighted to meet someone that shares my concerns for not omitting this neglected value, and besides, that speaks of it with the caution of doubts.
Thank you and to you.
I'm sure that's why boldness at the throne of grace is such a key factor also.

Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
boldness at the throne of grace
I don't know nor guess to what this expression is referring, excuse-me... (I'm of french origin)
Perhaps is it a cultural image outside the christian world, and not a question of vocabulary?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know nor guess to what this expression is referring, excuse-me... (I'm of french origin)
Perhaps is it a cultural image outside the christian world, and not a question of vocabulary?
It's in Hebrews where mercy is given because of His shed blood. In the translation below it says confidence.
Hebrews 4:15-16
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure that's why boldness at the throne of grace is such a key factor also.
I understand now! and I agree.

Where do you think could be the correct place to ask you for information about what charismatics think of catholic creed, if you allow me to ask you this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I understand now! and I agree.

Where do you think could be the correct place to ask you for information about what charismatics think of catholic creed, if you allow me to ask you this?
Maybe on the Spirit-filled Charismatic forum. Or you could check those beliefs with the SOP there. Rules for their forum sop. Charismatic - Non-Word of Faith Statement of Faith
There is also a catholic charismatic forum if I remember correctly. It would be in the faith groups.
Charismatic isn't denomination specific either. There's also a CF questions forum at the bottom of the homepage.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Indeed, all that we wrote doesn't have the consistance of any truth in the words of the Gospel, but it looks like it wouldn't necessarily be a lie, or an error.
On the contrary, as soon as I read the OP, it seemed error was jumping out like "watch out! I hope to get attention! (and sooth my conscience)"
i.e. potentially very much error .... to be clarified perhaps...

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
the very fragile and innocent truth
There is nothing fragile about TRUTH. It remains unbroken now since the beginning, and nothing can change it even to the end of the earth and beyond.
This (Truth/Jesus/ God's Word) is a source of great peace and joy and what separates Jesus' disciples from heresy and from soul/spiritual death and from secular society.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps the statement of purpose here would be a great place to start in answer to the Op.
Discipleship: Following Jesus Forum Statement of Purpose

The Discipleship: Following Jesus forum is a place for members to discuss what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ, and to encourage and help one another be His disciples. Christian discipleship is the process by which disciples (followers of Christ) grow in the Lord Jesus Christ and are equipped by the Holy Spirit to become more and more Christlike. Disciples are apprentices of Jesus, they look to Him, listen to Him, obey Him, pray with Him, and trust in Him. Disciples give up their old selves (death to self) in order to embrace and become the person Christ has created them to be. Discipleship is hard work, it is hard because we must let God mold and shape us, we must surrender our will to God's will, and we must put Jesus Christ above everything and everyone else in our life. "But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (Galations 6:14).

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Discipleship is hard work, it is hard because we must let God mold and shape us, we must surrender our will to God's will, and we must put Jesus Christ above everything and everyone else in our life.
Amen!
The Demands of Discipleship (9:57-62) - The IVP New Testament ...
The Demands of Discipleship (9:57-62) - The IVP New Testament Commentary Series - Bible Gateway
In the midst of rejection, it becomes crucial to understand the nature of discipleship. The three sayings of these verses stress what discipleship requires. The presence of the kingdom means not instant power and position but rejection by the world. It requires a focused commitment to be a disciple. The key to this section is ...
Luke 14:25-35 ESV - The Cost of Discipleship - Now great - Bible ...
Bible Gateway passage: Luke 14:25-35 - New International Version...
The Cost of Discipleship - Now great crowds accompanied him, and he turned and said to them, “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father.

Upvote 0