• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Republican Jesus

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by parousia70, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Hammster

Hammster Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+21,327
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Got it. Thanks.

2. parousia70

parousia70 Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow Supporter

+3,985
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Thanks again for participating but this falls outside the parameters I seek.

3. parousia70

+3,985
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Just for edification purposes, the act of studying the "Red Letters" specifically is by no means novel, unique or as you put, "a problem".

It is a well established and respected specialty in the study of Scripture:

All The Red Letter Scriptures Of Jesus In The Bible (KJV)

Red Letter Challenge : Zach Zehnder : Red Letter Living

The Origins of the Red-Letter Bible

4. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,831
    Christian
    Single
    When the time comes, maybe we will see if the fact it may be flawed is intentional.

5. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hide The Pain

+6,119
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
  6. parousia70

+3,985
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes I am. On Purpose.

I must admit the resistance from the followers of Jesus to this seemingly simple ask about what He actually spoke while He walked the earth is rather odd.

If it can't be done, it can't be done.

If it can be, it can be.

Either way, it will greatly benefit my project in the end.

7. Tree of Life

+6,119
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Did he not actually speak the red letters in Acts and Revelation?

8. parousia70

+3,985
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Thanks for that catch.. I edited my post. :oldthumbsup:

9. Ignatius the Kiwi

Ignatius the Kiwi Anti-Democratic Monarchist

+2,764
    New Zealand
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Why only the red letters of Jesus? Why not the entire Christian tradition?

Though I agree, the Republicans have been tepid at best to promote the growth or favourite status of Christianity in America. Most probably because Republicans are liberals and committed to the Enlightenment tradition of the founders more than they are the words of Jesus or any religious motivation.

10. hislegacy

hislegacy At the great Pyramids

+9,944
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others

11. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+7,470
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    mmm...

Matthew 26:52 "Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him. "For all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

And how they followed His example later:
    Acts 7:60 Falling on his knees, he cried out in a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Now, if Stephen had had a sword, and had drawn it to defend himself... say Stephen drew a sword and did "self defense" and escaped eventually from the murderous crowd...would that have been a good thing?

Stephen's defense was to trust in the Lord. This seems best of all. I don't know I could really kill someone merely to save my mortal dust body for a few more years from passing on to greater Life.

12. Tree of Life

+6,119
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Jesus corrected his disciples who drew swords because they envisioned Jesus as a political/military Messiah who would lead a revolt against the Romans. They wanted to prevent Jesus from getting arrested and getting crucified. But Jesus came to suffer and not to conquer and so he told them to put their swords away.

But this does not mean that Jesus is condemning self defense in general.

Could you shoot someone to save your child or grandchild from getting kidnapped or killed?

13. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+7,470
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That's 100% right, but it's only 1 piece.

He Himself escaped from one murderous crowd (He simply slipped away!).

Whenever I consider a complex situation though, I think of the essence of the law, to aid in figuring out what to do in a given complex situation:
    Matthew 7:12 In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the Prophets.

Whatever is the right thing to do will line up with this rule Christ said.

So, while I could defend myself in quite a large number of ways -- potentially anything from slipping away to tripping someone to a throw, or even punching them -- I'll be held to account if I do so in a wrong way that I'd consider wrong if done precisely that way in the situation of roles reversed (and then if not repenting of that wrong of course). So there's the more difficult question answered as best I can. Defending others is easier seen in Matthew 7:12 right off the bat (though of course one still can't do so with excessive force that isn't justified in the situation, as possible when having options, just as is the standard for a good police officer).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  14. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+7,979
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I see. So Jesus said, if someone tries to steal from you, blow him away?

15. Tree of Life

+6,119
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    No. But if someone is threatening my life, my child’s life, or my neighbor’s life, the loving thing to do would be to stop that threat.

16. The Barbarian

+7,979
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    So it's O.K. , even if it wasn't the way Jesus said to handle it?

17. Tree of Life

+6,119
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Jesus did say that I should value and protect life and love my neighbor. He never condemned self defense of the defense of others. John the Baptist never called the soldiers to leave their military positions.

18. hislegacy

+9,944
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    That is why taking the whole of scripture is vital to our understanding, not just a select piece.

19. hislegacy

+9,944
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Can you cite scripture where Jesus gave us instructions on how to handle someone who is in the process of assaulting your family member.

20. The Barbarian

+7,979
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    My point, exactly. He didn't. Thank you.