✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
George Conway group releases first anti-Trump ad aimed at evangelicals

An anti-President Trump conservative group that includes George Conway, who is the husband of White House counselor Kellyanne Conway and a frequent critic of President Trump, has released its first advertisement aimed at evangelicals who back the president.

The Lincoln Project’s first advertisement takes aim at “The MAGA Church” by splicing clips of the president and his supporters speaking about faith with clips of Trump cursing and speaking crudely.

The ad begins with Trump saying at an evangelical rally last week that, “evangelicals, Christians of every denomination and believers of every faith have never had a greater champion — not even close — in the White House.”

At the same time, a verse from the Book of Matthew appears on the screen: “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.”

Matthew 7:15 is the exact verse I've always thought of in re to Donald Trump and his enablers.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Matthew 7:15 is the exact verse I've always thought of in re to Donald Trump and his enablers.

If they were aiming that at evangelicals they missed by a wide margin. That ad sucks.

I knew what they were trying to get at; I agree with their message; and I appreciate satire and irony, but that just fell flat. It was too long overall; within, it took way too long to get anywhere near the point; and it was too disjointed to sell the message. The audience for this was people on the left (i.e. preaching to the choir), not evangelicals on the right. Anybody who looks to Robert Jeffress, Paula White, and Franklin Graham is going to see all that footage as a positive.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If they were aiming that at evangelicals they missed by a wide margin. That ad sucks.

This is just the newest incarnation of the "NeverTrump" movement headed up by disaffected moderates having almost no influence among Republican voters, Evangelical or otherwise, when it comes to electoral politics.

In fact, it is possibly worse than that, considering that George Conway is in the category of "never was," unlike the editors of National Review and a few other diehards who once-upon-a-time were influential in Conservative circles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I knew what they were trying to get at; I agree with their message; and I appreciate satire and irony, but that just fell flat. It was too long overall; within, it took way too long to get anywhere near the point; and it was too disjointed to sell the message. The audience for this was people on the left (i.e. preaching to the choir), not evangelicals on the right. Anybody who looks to Robert Jeffress, Paula White, and Franklin Graham is going to see all that footage as a positive.
I got a wow out of it! I never knew Jim Baker connected our salvation with supporting Donald Trump. He is a charlatan but he has a platform that deceives many who have itching ears.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I tend to agree.

The ad tends to focus on the KNOWN relationships between the administration and white evangelicals. Clearly, these evangelicals are not bothered by this.

To be more effective, I think that such an ad should focus upon evident negative results of Trump policies, such as "child separations", Trump making statements against those who have served in the military, Trump extolling Putin over US intelligence, etc.

These issues are the soft underbelly of evangelical support. Most evangelicals, especially women, know that these issues are problematic, but making things like these the focus would go the furthest toward softening Trump's evangelical support.

It would also be more effective without the musical background ... as most white evangelistic service do not include Black gospel music.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

It's aimed at evangelicals but Idk that evangelicals are actually their target audience bc they know that many of them are Boomers set in their mindset who are gonna be impervious. I'm a Zoomer, we're the least religious generation in history & it's older Christians who've repelled so so so many. It came as a relief to see the rebuke from CT of Trump. It very sincerely has been helpful w witness. This will help too. I think it resonates w younger voters.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟612,173.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I can't imagine what the objective is. I suppose if Trump was facing a primary challenger it might make some difference. But he's not.

Do they really expect the evangelical vote to go to any candidate who supports public funding for abortion?

"Hey evangelicals. Don't vote for some pottymouth who supports your values. Vote for some other candidate who hates you and everything you stand for. "

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It's aimed at evangelicals but Idk that evangelicals are actually their target audience bc they know that many of them are Boomers set in their mindset who are gonna be impervious. I'm a Zoomer, we're the least religious generation in history & it's older Christians who've repelled so so so many. It came as a relief to see the rebuke from CT of Trump. It very sincerely has been helpful w witness. This will help too. I think it resonates w younger voters.

I agree with your analysis.

It seems fitting that Trump seeks out the most superstitious Pentecostals drenched in the prosperity gospel to bolster his appearance of a messiah. And that ad really drives that home.

• Agree
Reactions: Neal82
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I can't imagine what the objective is. I suppose if Trump was facing a primary challenger it might make some difference. But he's not.

Do they really expect the evangelical vote to go to any candidate who supports public funding for abortion?

"Hey evangelicals. Don't vote for some pottymouth who supports your values. Vote for some other candidate who hates you and everything you stand for. "

Most of the Democratic candidates are Christians, so they don't hate everything they stand for.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Hill article describes the ad this way:

"The ad begins with Trump saying at an evangelical rally last week that, “evangelicals, Christians of every denomination and believers of every faith have never had a greater champion — not even close — in the White House.”
At the same time, a verse from the Book of Matthew appears on the screen: “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
The advertisement, accompanied by gospel music, ends with on-screen text saying, "IF THIS IS THE BEST AMERICAN CHRISTIANS CAN DO," it says, "THEN GOD help us all."

But this is an argument based on a false hidden premises.

I have not heard a single Christian claim "The Don," is a Christian, let alone an exemplar one!
As an Evangelical I have watched as the press, Democrats and Republicans fought against Evangelicals in lockstep. Only the House Freedom Caucus and a smattering of House and Senate Republicans have been in support of Evangelical key issues such as repeal of abortion laws or school choice, or moving our US Embassy to Jerusalem,etc.
The judges over the last 40 years have hardly been originalists either.

So first false premise -Evangelicals think Trump is a Christian Prophet!

Second false premise -Evangelicals think Trump is "THE BEST AMERICAN CHRISTIANS CAN DO!"

It is just that "Christians," like Bill Clinton turn out to be rapists, and "Christians," like Obama turn out to be liars about Bengazi attacks, send $1.5 billion to the largest state-sponsor of terrorism in the world, and is pro abortion, and is derogatory every time he refers to Christians, like his pastor Rev. Wright.
So if we eliminate the false premises we see that Evangelicals seem to recognize that "The Don," is NOT a Christian in the Biblical sense of the word, and is certainly not an Evangelical, further Not a Prophet, but hyperbole aside (Because GW Bush was actually the only Evangelical we have had as POTUS and was no less a supporter surely), Trump, with his adultery, assume lifelong serial adultery, and his Narcicism, and his horrible communication style, and his childish spats and name-calling on social media, has the best record in public support of Evangelical issues, at least equal to Bush. He is bashing the fake news media who has been in the pocket of the DNC since Kennedy was in office.

So consider the old aphorism, "My enemy's enemy is my friend," and you will understand why Trump is a favorite of Evangelicals.

Democrats
Open borders, increasing crime, costing job to lowest income workers, costing states in welfare to illegals
Illegal voting with democrats in sanctuary cities (soon states and federal)
Weakness through appeasement and bribes given to our enemies who have killed and maimed 1000s of Americans (Iran deal)
Abort as many as possible
Mainstream media has a similar agenda however would focus on strawman attacks of Evangelicals and praising all attempts at secularization.

So we see that Conway, misrepresents the Evangelicals then attacks his own misrepresentations, known as ...
A STRAWMAN ARGUMENT!

You would think if Trump or the Evangelicals were so bad it would be easy to give a correct account of the facts in order to shame them rather than rely on cheap fallacious tricks! Remind us of anything?

What about Adam Schiff's representation of Trump's call with Ukraine (albeit before he found out Trump was going to release the transcript).

• Winner
Reactions: Zanting
Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I got a wow out of it! I never knew Jim Baker connected our salvation with supporting Donald Trump. He is a charlatan but he has a platform that deceives many who have itching ears.

The unwavering support of Trump by all these evangelicals has been vastly detrimental to the moral credibility and Christian witness of Evangelical Christianity. The moral credibility and reputation of the Christians who support Trump has also been severely damaged. The evangelicals who are devoutly supporting Trump are being called out for hypocrisy (Billy Graham's Granddaughter Rebukes Franklin Graham And "Hypocritical" Evangelical Trump Supporters). They are being accused of selling out and selling their souls to support Trump (Trump evangelicals have sold their souls). They're being accused of compromising their moral convictions to support Trump (Christians tempted by Trump's Idolatry).

IOW, the moral credibility and Christian witness of Evangelical Christianity has been severely damaged in the age of Donald Trump (Ex-Reagan Adviser: Evangelical Leaders Who Back Trump Do More Harm to Christian Values Than Atheists). It's doubtful the Christian Right will be able to reverse the damage.

• Winner
Reactions: Neal82
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It all don't matter because, we will be voting for the one that supports our values.
= Trump.
M-Bob

Out of curiosity, which values would that be? And please don't fall back on the ad nauseam misleading narrative that Donald Trump is pro-life because he isn't when he supports the killing of an unborn child in cases of rape, incest, and the risk of the mother's life. He spoke out against the anti-abortion laws.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟612,173.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

It seems fitting that Trump seeks out the most superstitious Pentecostals drenched in the prosperity gospel to bolster his appearance of a messiah. And that ad really drives that home.
It seems the only ones calling Trump a 'messiah' is Conway & Co. and certain entities on the left who use it thinking his supporters will believe them.....so they can fire away and waste their time, effort and especially their money.

Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It isn't just superstitious Pentecostals who apparently believe Trump is a Messiah.

Donald Trump is the messiah, according to this pastor

Courtiers and kings, evangelicals, prophets and Trump

Trump Will Start the End of the World, Claim Evangelicals Who Support Him

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It seems the only ones calling Trump a 'messiah' is Conway & Co. and certain entities on the left who use it thinking his supporters will believe them.....so they can fire away and waste their time, effort and especially their money.
Well, it certainly seems a good thing to me that Evangelicals are starting to disavow the "Chosen One of God" rhetoric. If they don't want to admit they ever subscribed to such nonsense that's fine with me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.