✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
what a deplorable man...

The Center, which is connected to billionaires Charles and David Koch, announced its opposition during a press conference in the capital Augusta, where business owner Rick Snow, who is running for office in Maine, suggested that raising the wage would only provide more drug money to poorly paid workers.

“Where would that money be spent? We’ve heard about the opiate issues in the state of Maine. Are we going to add more income to individuals so they can spend it on illegal activities? I’m very concerned about that,” said Snow, Republicancandidate for District 47 in the Maine House of Representatives and former director of Maine’s Bureau of Labor Standards, according to The Maine Beacon.

link

Reactions: Armoured

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Typical, for some people to make ridiculous excuses to not pay the poor more. I guess the poor people all do drugs and rich or middle class don't. I know that's laughable

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
To be fair, there ARE people in this world who exist for THAT sole and very descriptor.

What is unbelievable is that he thinks that those numbers should have ANY kind of bearing on the VAST majority (like, 98%) of people who really just want to make sure their kids have one square meal a day.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Typical, for some people to make ridiculous excuses to not pay the poor more. I guess the poor people all do drugs and rich or middle class don't. I know that's laughable
One wonders how supportive all the "welfare people need to be drug tested" types would be if EVERYONE needed to pass random drug checks before being paid?

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
what a deplorable man...
Wow, on that basis all lawyers, doctors etc should immediately have their pay reduced to minimum wage. After all apart from drugs what else can they be spending their wealth on.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One wonders how supportive all the "welfare people need to be drug tested" types would be if EVERYONE needed to pass random drug checks before being paid?
I thought most employers did drug test on the poor. Before giving them a job. But some middle class and high paying jobs don't.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
According to both of my friends who are corporate bankers, drug testing bankers would clear the industry RIGHT out ( the say that more than not, they are partying on hard, hard stuff but even those that don't, have drinking problems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
b5d199f516909913f8c236c8c00dcc49.jpg

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought most employers did drug test on the poor. Before giving them a job. But some middle class and high paying jobs don't.

I'm of the opinion that any time you are up for a job that holds any real responsibility a drug test should be mandatory. Especially financial responsibilities. I got a lot of rubbish because I demanded that anyone in payroll, contracts, CFO submit to drug tests at employment. You have no idea how many people failed.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm of the opinion that any time you are up for a job that holds any real responsibility a drug test should be mandatory. Especially financial responsibilities. I got a lot of rubbish because I demanded that anyone in payroll, contracts, CFO submit to drug tests at employment. You have no idea how many people failed.
huh. I disagree with drug testing to GET jobs but I DO agree that drug testing while at work to monitor for inebriation should ABSOLUTELY be legal. And employment should depend on it.
What people do in their spare time, so long as they can perform at work, should not effect their employment.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
huh. I disagree with drug testing to GET jobs but I DO agree that drug testing while at work to monitor for inebriation should ABSOLUTELY be legal. And employment should depend on it.
What people do in their spare time, so long as they can perform at work, should not effect their employment.

If I'm hiring for a position of financial responsibility...I want someone who is drug-free. I would test at extension of an employment offer with the offer contingent on a clean UA. What's really funny is that MOST of the entry-level and mid-career people I hired had clean UAs. Senior management, financial types...I think I had 5 or 6 for ONE position unable to pass the UA. The prevalent drug was cocaine. Sorry, if I'm going to trust you to handle money, you'd better not be hooked on drugs. If I'm going to trust you to do a good job, you'd better be drug-free. I'd be more inclined to let a positive for marijuana through than anything else.

Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
If I'm hiring for a position of financial responsibility...I want someone who is drug-free. I would test at extension of an employment offer with the offer contingent on a clean UA. What's really funny is that MOST of the entry-level and mid-career people I hired had clean UAs. Senior management, financial types...I think I had 5 or 6 for ONE position unable to pass the UA. The prevalent drug was cocaine. Sorry, if I'm going to trust you to handle money, you'd better not be hooked on drugs. If I'm going to trust you to do a good job, you'd better be drug-free. I'd be more inclined to let a positive for marijuana through than anything else.
Interesting! Well, that runs EXACTLY in line with what my two banker friends have said; those kinda numbers and those kinda drugs.

Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
huh. I disagree with drug testing to GET jobs but I DO agree that drug testing while at work to monitor for inebriation should ABSOLUTELY be legal.

Hmm... My department goes through Pikesville like it's water. A guy in another department has a fridge full of beer, and not a mini fridge, either - a full-size one like you'd have in your kitchen. There are others, too. And of my last 3 employers, this place consumes the least amount of booze by a significant margin.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmm... My department goes through Pikesville like it's water. A guy in another department has a fridge full of beer, and not a mini fridge, either - a full-size one like you'd have in your kitchen. There are others, too. And of my last 3 employers, this place consumes the least amount of booze by a significant margin.

Where do you work? I don't drink and I won't subsidize someone else's party time. You want to go out for a drink, you do that on your time with your money, not on my time and definitely not with my money.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Where do you work? I don't drink and I won't subsidize someone else's party time. You want to go out for a drink, you do that on your time with your money, not on my time and definitely not with my money.

The company's ok with it - they pay for some of it.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,017.00
Faith
Christian

Until the company outsources it to some cheapo lab to cut costs and your test returns a false positive because the lab tech was trying to do 50 samples in the time it takes to do 30, and suddenly you've got to hire a lawyer at your own cost to get your job back.

No thanks - I'm not giving any employer that kind of power.

Upvote 0