• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Report: Supreme Court ruling caused mass polling place closures across Southern USA

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by tulc, Sep 20, 2019.

1. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+13,810
    Christian
    Married
    Report: Supreme Court ruling caused mass polling place closures across Southern USA
    tulc(thought this was appalling) :eek:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+29,501
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I remember in 2014 it caused some confusion locally in my county in Texas. Many of the polling stations were consolidated. But every year if one is a registered voter you get your card with the polling station number. Then the local paper and a website showed a map to the polling station.

3. tulc

+13,810
    Christian
    Married
  4. jgarden

jgarden Senior Veteran

+1,643
    Methodist

With a record turn out during the 2018 Interims and a predicted huge number of voters in 2020, the Republicans can no longer rely on the "gerrymandering" of Congressional boundaries and the Electoral College to suppress voter turn out!

Now they have enlisted the services of the conservative majority in the Supreme Court to make the lives of those planning on voting Democratic even more difficult!

Ultimately these delaying tactics will fail and conservatives had better pray that their liberal counterparts don't resort to the same methods once they take power!

5. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Contemplative Christian Supporter

+3,490
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    I know I'm often a very naive person, but I just don't understand why Republicans don't want to win honestly. And maybe I really should put "Republicans" in quotes since the party has been going downhill since Eisenhower and just isn't the party it used to be.

6. HannahT

HannahT Newbie Supporter

+1,808
    Christian
    Married
    I don't remember clearly what the decision was all about. I did google if Texas turnout was lower, and I looked at the stats:

2016 - November (Presidential)
    Registered Voters 15,101,087
    Voting Age Population (VAP) 19,307,355
    Percentage of VAP Registered 78.21%
    Turnout 8,969,226
    Percent of Turnout to Registered 59.39%
    Percent of Turnout to VAP 46.45%

2012 - November (Presidential)
    Registered Voters 13,646,226
    Voting Age Population (VAP) 18,279,737
    Percentage of VAP Registered 74.65
    Turnout 7,993,851
    Percent of Turnout to Registered Voters 58.58
    Percent of Turnout to VAP 43.73

2008 - November (Presidential)
    Registered Voters 13,575,062
    Voting Age Population (VAP) 17,735,442
    Percentage of VAP Registered 76.54
    Turnout 8,077,795
    Percent of Turnout to Registered 59.50
    Percent of Turnout to VAP 45.55

2004 - General, November (Presidential)
    Registered Voters 13,098,329
    Voting Age Population (VAP) 16,071,153
    Percentage of VAP Registered 81.50
    Turnout 7,410,765
    Percent of Turnout to Registered Voters 56.57
    Percent of Turnout to VAP 46.11

I see some things vary from time to time, but nothing hugely drastic. I was actually surprised that on average only about 46% of registered voters come out.

7. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+12,437
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    You just conjured an image in my mind. Imagine if you can Dwight Eisenhower meeting Donald Trump.

8. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Contemplative Christian Supporter

+3,490
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    My gosh, the horror!

9. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+10,376
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    There are a few reasons:

Some of them are aware that they can't win honestly because they just don't have the numbers - they and their policies are growing less popular over time and the only way to retain power is via means that strike some of us as underhanded.

Some of them don't care about winning honestly - they see their policies not as a set of ideas in competition with other sets of ideas, but something more along the lines of a divinely-inspired doctrine that is morally correct and worthy of being imposed on society whether we like it or not. The divine nature of this quasi crusade absolves them of responsibility for playing "fair".

Some of them see Dems/libs as not worthy of winning and being in charge, regardless of ideas.

IMO, much of this stems from the multi-decade retreat of Republicans and conservatives from cultural centers of thought. The right no longer cultivates within its ranks a thoughtful, interactive, civically-minded approach towards society, instead favoring a sort of authoritarianism that treats everybody outside the tribe as stupid, unworthy, threatening, and deserving of being controlled.

10. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+3,058
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    In Georgia - Forsyth county went from 25 to 16 voting precincts -- it has a 202K people and a poverty rate of 6% -- one of the more affluent counties and yet it lost almost 40% of its voting precincts ... clearly that was not a case of targeting "people of color".

Georgia finds that a number of voting precincts do not comply with ADA rules and the counties don't have enough time to fix them in certain cases.

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Officials said they don’t have time to fix them, so they would close

Conspiracy sounds so much more exciting than "details"

11. tulc

+13,810
    Christian
    Married
    Link? :scratch:
    tulc(thinks links in support of things are a nice detail) :wave:

12. Blade

Blade Veteran Supporter

+1,671
    Christian
    Married
    I read more on this.. what the Court said.. seems allot is left out. How odd.. USA TODAY would leave that out.. hmmm