Reply to comment orthodox against technology

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟577,808.00
Faith
Christian
I wanted to comment on this thread but this forum is more acceptable for my comments

In reply to this thread I wanted to say below
I can only imagine what Blessed Fr. Seraphim Rose would think about today's society (Video)

Orthodox are taught to be harsh and reject the true Christ but I know it is not willingly and Christ will forgive you for fear of not obeying the Christ taught by tradition. If you knew Christ you would know Christ does not disapprove of people using technology to seek to fellowship. If you think it is bad then don’t use it yourselves

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Mike,

The video was referring to people being narcissistic, nihilistic and self worshipping.

I was trying to make the connection to how this has accelerated and increased with the advent of technology and constant temptation.

It was already bad in his time and I was trying to show how it would probably seem unbelievable to him how bad it is and how bad people are right now.

I'm not against technology in general though.

• Friendly
Reactions: mikeforjesus
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He also mentions Hesychasm. I would imagine that true Hesychasm is almost impossible in today's modern society having to deal with constant distraction and temptation through technology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟577,808.00
Faith
Christian
I feel I could suffer from narcissism and it may be treated with more relation with Christ privately as I need not to think anything good comes from me or to think I am anything more beautiful than others though I am not very beautiful but I see myself as a handiwork of God but I don’t think it is wrong to love the qualities Christ gave you as long as you know you are unworthy of them and it belongs to Christ to be used for him and not to worship self.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,494.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Orthodox are taught to be harsh and reject the true Christ but I know it is not willingly and Christ will forgive you for fear of not obeying the Christ taught by tradition.
I don't know where you get this idea from, but if you are going to make such a bold claim, it is incumbent on you to back up your claim with evidence.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟577,808.00
Faith
Christian
I don't know where you get this idea from, but if you are going to make such a bold claim, it is incumbent on you to back up your claim with evidence.

I can prove with time but satan will try to resist it because he does not want people to know their freedom in Christ but you might just not want to admit it because the teachers you follow might obscure your vision to not be able to see it for what it really is or one could really not want to follow Christ and be against him but I believe many are honest seekers in following the Lord

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wanted to comment on this thread but this forum is more acceptable for my comments

In reply to this thread I wanted to say below
I can only imagine what Blessed Fr. Seraphim Rose would think about today's society (Video)

Orthodox are taught to be harsh and reject the true Christ but I know it is not willingly and Christ will forgive you for fear of not obeying the Christ taught by tradition. If you knew Christ you would know Christ does not disapprove of people using technology to seek to fellowship. If you think it is bad then don’t use it yourselves

hmmm, you accuse us of saying that we don't approve of using technology to seek to fellowship....on an Orthodox Internet forum where we fellowship....hmmmm, let's think about that for a second.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟577,808.00
Faith
Christian
hmmm, you accuse us of saying that we don't approve of using technology to seek to fellowship....on an Orthodox Internet forum where we fellowship....hmmmm, let's think about that for a second.

Because not all do and not all don’t feel using technology is bad but some think it should not be used more than a little than what others feel is appropriate and useful

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Because not all do and not all don’t feel using technology is bad but some think it should not be used more than a little than what others feel is appropriate and useful

so what? we still on the whole use technology for fellowship....AFR has live call-in shows, Facebook has a ton of Orthodox groups specifically for fellowship, the abbot of Vatopedi monastery does stuff over Zoom for people interested in talking to him, etc.

it helps if you know what you are talking about before trying to insult us.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟577,808.00
Faith
Christian
It does not matter I am not referring to all orthodox but many of you try to accuse others of bad traits just because people are not following orthodox. And instead of rejoicing that others are finding fellowship and growth outside the church they accuse them of being show offs because they think one does not love them and do not trust the path so I forgive them

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It does not matter I am not referring to all orthodox but many of you try to accuse others of bad traits just because people are not following orthodox. And instead of rejoicing that others are finding fellowship and growth outside the church they accuse them of being show offs because they think one does not love them and do not trust the path so I forgive them

that wasn't what you said initially.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟577,808.00
Faith
Christian
True if you mean I edited what I said because I am trying to find the actual truth about the situation why I was made to feel that false accusations of me is right to do just because they feel I am their enemy . I may accuse falsely of things if I am trying to find out but I edit it to what I think is true

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟577,808.00
Faith
Christian
Because I believed they say such because some representatives of church who say others are wasting their time on social media when they see others on it who are seeking to fellowship with others who do not go to their church who are learning more about Jesus to find they can have a relationship with God without the church and it seems to be helping them and they may feel threatened as though others judge them and they may have doubts you can have relationship with God without the church so they do not want to lose people from the church and they may feel it is their duty to still keep people in the church

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟577,808.00
Faith
Christian
Yes the group here is very kind and support Christian fellowship. But some think though it is not forbidden it is not advisable if you could be influenced by other teachings than the church and some forbid it altogether to even show acceptance of others to pray with them if that means others will share their beliefs but that only orthodox can share their beliefs

Upvote 0