• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Reply please. Ocd about making vow.

Grace1234

Oct 22, 2019
Bangkok
✟14,751.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Have anyone expereince idea likes "I think I have make a vow about this already but not so sure, so I will make same vow again so I won't break the vows because I sure that I have make a vow." I always have a thought like this. And making a vow (maybe with my will not so sure.) Will this vows valid? Reply please if you expereince same things.

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Have anyone expereince idea likes "I think I have make a vow about this already but not so sure, so I will make same vow again so I won't break the vows because I sure that I have make a vow." I always have a thought like this. And making a vow (maybe with my will not so sure.) Will this vows valid? Reply please if you expereince same things.
Make no vows.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Explain please.

"But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all...All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’."
Matthew 5: 36

"Above all, my brothers and sisters, do not swear--not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. All you need to say is a simple "Yes" or "No."
James 5:12

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This also sounds like an obsessive way of thinking. What do you think is the best way to stand up to the OCD, in this case?

Reactions: Grace1234
Upvote 0

Grace1234

Oct 22, 2019
Bangkok
✟14,751.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This also sounds like an obsessive way of thinking. What do you think is the best way to stand up to the OCD, in this case?
I have try to get rid of my fear so the idea came up that I always have that thought and scared of it so it might be an obsessive way of thinking likes what you have said.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have try to get rid of my fear so the idea came up that I always have that thought and scared of it so it might be an obsessive way of thinking likes what you have said.
Yes, fear of having made unwanted vows is a very very common obsession, especially among Christians I think. The best way to respond is to NOT do what the OCD wants. In your case, I think that would mean not making the "vow" (which probably wasn't even a real vow in the first place) again.

Upvote 0