Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I was going to buy a 2011 Nissan Leaf till I found out the main battery costs more then 6,000 dollars. My local Nissan dealer told it would cost 6,000 dollars or more to replace it. Battery only last 10 years.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/824884166/overview/
Newer models (also much more expensive) have much better batteries. An important feature is how the electrical system, including battery pack, is temperature controlled. But yes, the older Leaf is not a good buy.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Found more information on any electric car.

If the EV battery needs replacing and it's outside of warranty, expect to fork out anywhere between $2,000 and $12,000. Given that there are so many variables, from battery size to labour charges, you will need to contact the manufacturer to get an exact quote.

Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have owned a Prius.

In my view they are a car designed for one or two owners max.

Stay well away if you are offered an electric car more than 5 years old.
Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Newer models (also much more expensive) have much better batteries. An important feature is how the electrical system, including battery pack, is temperature controlled. But yes, the older Leaf is not a good buy.
Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was going to buy a 2011 Nissan Leaf till I found out the main battery costs more then 6,000 dollars. My local Nissan dealer told it would cost 6,000 dollars or more to replace it. Battery only last 10 years.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/824884166/overview/
Wow that's quite an encouragement for people to buy one of these new. You would think a dealer should tell someone right off, "Just so you know before even considering it...."

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you buy the electric car new and keep it for 10 years, the cost of fuel saved could easily be more than the cost of the battery. If you assume $2/gallon gas, a car that gets 30mpg would consume $6000 in gas in 90k miles. So an electric car compared to a gas subcompact balances out in 90k for the owner. Compared to a car with lower gas mileage, the owner being ahead with electric happens quicker. Newer batteries which can be cheaper and it happens quicker. Math also changes if gas goes up or down, etc. Lots of variables.

That also means if you buy the car used, the first owner get full advantage of that gas savings and the new buyer gets none of it for the miles already driven. So for a used electric car to make sense it has to be less expensive than a similar gas powered car by the amount of fuel savings already used by the original owner.

In other words, it is really hard to tell what a used electric car should be worth. I would not buy one used unless the battery replacement cost was already discounted from similar gas powered cars.

Electric car technology is advancing quickly - both battery life and replacement cost will continue to improve.

Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums