Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Nothing I have said denies even one of the scriptures you have posted. But you are completely incorrect in claiming that your interpretations of the meanings of these scriptures do not contradict what the Bible explicitly teaches.

The scriptures teach, and very clearly and explicitly teach, that in a day to come, absolutely all of the house of Israel will again be gathered into their ancient homeland. And they even go so far as to explicitly define the borders of the land in that day, with which part of it will be given to which tribe. You will find this in the last two chapters of Ezekiel.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The ending of the Book of Ezekiel describes a type and a foreshadowing of the gathering together of all of God's children into the eschatological New Earth of the Resurrection. Compare with the temple described in the Apocalypse of St John, chapter 22.

Your theory would posit that even though they became apostate and worshipers of idols and false gods, millions of people would be saved apart from faith in Christ simply because they happen to be physical descendants of Abraham. St Paul makes it painfully clear that no one will be saved because of the flesh, but only through faith in the promises of God.

Besides, the northern tribes were taken away, absorbed into other nations, and ceased to exist as a separate people. Except for those who became Christians, they have not existed as children of God for a very long time.

St Paul and other writers of the New Testament are perfectly clear. There is only one people of God. And that people consists of all those who were saved by grace, through faith in the once coming and now come Anointed One, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

There is one God, one faith, one baptism, one body and one Spirit.

Romans 9

I am speaking the truth in Christ—I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit— that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh. They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises. To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ, who is God over all, blessed forever. Amen.

But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring. For this is what the promise said: “About this time next year I will return, and Sarah shall have a son.”

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And I haven't even started on what Our Lord Jesus Christ had to say about the Jews and how they have been cut off because of their unbelief and rejection of God's promised Messiah.

For example,

John 8

They answered him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham's children, you would be doing the works Abraham did, but now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did. You are doing the works your father did.” They said to him, “We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father—even God.” Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.”

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You are claiming that the Old Testament prophecies simply do not mean what they explicitly say, and say in very plain words. And you are attempting to justify that conclusion with New Testament passages which you interpret to mean that these ancient promises will never be fulfilled. But not even one of the New Testament passages you have quoted actually says that.

And you are falsely claiming that if God were to actually fulfill those ancient promises, He would be saving people without faith in Christ. I have already pointed out explicitly stated scriptures that clearly show that this claim is simply not true. The only thing you have revealed in your answer is that you did not even bother to read the scriptures I cited. For these scriptures explicitly say that God will bring them to faith as well as bringing them back to their land.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
From what I can see in the New Testament concerning Israel, it is true that God will bring the Jews back to their homeland, but it seems that there will be a major revival among the Jews which will bring many of them to accept Jesus Christ as their Messiah and Saviour. Paul teaches that both Jew and Gentle will be brought under the same covering, and so there will be no long Jew or Gentile, but all will be believers in Christ. Therefore in heaven, there will be no Jews or Gentiles, nor will there be Christian denominations. All these labels will disappear with the dissolution of the heavens and the earth.

But no Jew will be saved unless through Christ. This complies with what Jesus said: "I am the Way the Truth and the Life, and no-one comes to the Father but by Me." So when God works to save the Jewish nation, He will save the ones who accept Christ; and the ones who reject Christ will perish.

I don't think that it is very complicate at all. We don't know how extensively Jesus revealed Himself through the Old Testament Scriptures to the disciples at Emmaus, but it must have been very thorough to have made their hearts burn so much. It gives the impression that the Old Testament is chock full of references to Christ to the degree that much of the Old Testament is about Christ.

Paul based his teaching about Christ on the Old Testament Scriptures. So he must have had quite a different view and interpretation of the Old Testament than what many of us do. We just see what God did in the history of Israel. Paul must have seen Christ all though it.

We have our view of the Christian faith through Christ based on what Paul taught in his letters, and what Jesus did and said as reported in the gospels. But the Early Church had only the Old Testament Scriptures for many years, until the letters of Paul were combined and distributed around the churches.

The point I am making is that all the promises in the Old Testament concerning the restoration of Israel in the last days, involves Christ and acceptance of Him as Messiah and Saviour, and not, in any way, separate from Him.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You are claiming that the Old Testament prophecies simply do not mean what they explicitly say, and say in very plain words.
I am asserting that apocalyptic portions of scripture were never meant to be taken literally - that was never their intended purpose.

I'm sure you are aware that the scriptures contain different types of literature. Narrative and didactic portions are meant to be taken literally. Apocalyptic portions are not. They require a different hermeneutic.

On a personal note, this is one of the main reasons I eventually rejected the dispensational Baptist theology I was raised in and subscribed to for over 40 years. Dispensational theology takes non-literal passages of scripture literally, while taking literal passages non-literally (i.e. this is my body, this is my blood, baptism now saves you through the resurrection of Jesus Christ).

And you are attempting to justify that conclusion with New Testament passages which you interpret to mean that these ancient promises will never be fulfilled. But not even one of the New Testament passages you have quoted actually says that.
I am asserting that all these prophesies find their fulfillment in Jesus Christ, the personal epitome of the nation of Israel, and in the promises to be fulfilled to all those who are in Christ, to the Jew first and also to the Gentile. In Christ there is no longer any distinction between Jew and Gentile. The dividing wall has been broken down. We are all children of Abraham, not through the flesh but through faith in the promises of God.

And you are falsely claiming that if God were to actually fulfill those ancient promises, He would be saving people without faith in Christ. I have already pointed out explicitly stated scriptures that clearly show that this claim is simply not true.
Are you claiming that all ethnic Jews - the prophesy you cited enumerates all 12 tribes - who become Christians will some day receive a special, territorial inheritance in the New Earth following the Parousia?

I don't have a problem with that. If God can raise up children of Abraham from stones in the ground, he can certainly identify biological descendants of Jacob from the first generation to the last. Of those, he may obviously give whatever inheritance he pleases in the world to come.

If, however, you are claiming that this territorial inheritance will happen on this side of the Last Day, I would have to disagree. That would mean that a whole lot of things would necessarily be required to happen before the second advent of Our Lord, perhaps not the least likely is the identification and isolation of the descendants of the ten lost tribes, and it is perfectly clear from scripture that that day may come at any time - in five minutes or five millennia as the Lord sees fit. There is absolutely nothing preventing Jesus from returning even today other than his patience and mercy for those not yet saved.

The only thing you have revealed in your answer is that you did not even bother to read the scriptures I cited. For these scriptures explicitly say that God will bring them to faith as well as bringing them back to their land.
Your revelation is flawed. I read the passages. I just reject your interpretation.

Last edited:
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am asserting that apocalyptic portions of scripture were never meant to be taken literally - that was never their intended purpose.

I'm sure you are aware that the scriptures contain different types of literature. Narrative and didactic portions are meant to be taken literally. Apocalyptic portions are not. They require a different hermeneutic.

On a personal note, this is one of the main reasons I eventually rejected the dispensational Baptist theology I was raised in and subscribed to for over 40 years. Dispensational theology takes non-literal passages of scripture literally, while taking literal passages non-literally (i.e. this is my body, this is my blood, baptism now saves you through the resurrection of Jesus Christ).

To this I will answer with a passage from a book I wrote on this subject:

"
Key Principles of Prophetic Interpretation

Principle #1: The key to the Bible is the Bible.

Except in rare questions such as the meaning of ancient words or the identity of ancient places or nations, we do not gain an understanding of the Bible from external information, we gain an understanding of external information from the Bible.

Principle #2: The Bible agrees with itself.

An interpretation of any part of the Bible is not correct if it disagrees with any other part of the Bible.

Principle #3: Biblical language is precise.

Israel does not mean the church, and the church does not mean Israel. Israel does not mean Judah, and Judah does not mean Israel. The ·king does not mean the prince, and the prince does not mean the ·king.

Principle #4: Every detail in the Bible is significant.

God does not waste words. The far north is not the same as the north.

Principle #5: The Bible means what it says.

Express statements of coming events mean exactly what they say.

Principle #6: Biblical visions are symbolic.

Prophetic visions in the Bible are not pictures of coming events. They are visual symbols of these events.

Principle #7: Biblical symbolism is moral.

The subject of a Biblical vision is something that has a moral similarity to what the prophet saw.

Principle #8: Human reasoning is useless.

We know the meaning of Biblical symbols only through Biblical statements about their meanings.

Principle #9: Biblical symbolism is consistent.

If the Bible gives us the meaning of a symbol in one passage, it has the same meaning in other passages.

Principle #10: Bible prophecy concerns the time of the end.

Many prophecies have had a partial fulfillment in the past, and may thus appear to apply only to that time; but unless every detail of a prophecy has been fulfilled, it also concerns the future."

This is what I believe and insist upon. As applied to your comments about apocalyptic vs. literal, I will answer that even apocalyptic passages sometimes have literal statements included within the text. The difference is not in whether the statement is included in an apocalyptic section, but in whether the statement is presented as a statement of fact, or is presented as a statement of a dream or a vision seen by a prophet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Replacement Theology is an abomination. It is unbiblical, and it has resulted in virulent anti-Semitism that has in turn resulted in the deaths of millions of Jews. There is no reason for the Church to be covetous of the promises that God has made to the Jewish people.
The Evil of Replacement Theology: Future of ... - Lamb & Lion
www.lamblion.us/2013/12/the-evil-of-replacement-theology-future.html
According to your article anti-semitism has little to do with Christianity or replacement theology, seems they are after any and all faiths as well as people of no faiths.

Now what would be nice would be hard, cold facts done from a real research firm that showed anything like this, because this is hateful speculation . There is no meat in this post, theology wise, it is a blast of every living person saying all promote hate.

But that is what happens when one read's 'prophecy and end-times' based garbage that has no theology attached.

Root yourself in good theology, not this kind of thing that is just statements about millions of people in general. There is nothing there but opionion and heresay.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am asserting that all these prophesies find their fulfillment in Jesus Christ, the personal epitome of the nation of Israel, and in the promises to be fulfilled to all those who are in Christ, to the Jew first and also to the Gentile. In Christ there is no longer any distinction between Jew and Gentile. The dividing wall has been broken down. We are all children of Abraham, not through the flesh but through faith in the promises of God.

Are you claiming that all ethnic Jews - the prophesy you cited enumerates all 12 tribes - who become Christians will some day receive a special, territorial inheritance in the New Earth following the Parousia?

That is exactly what I am saying. But I am not saying this because this is my interpretation of scripture, but because the scriptures clearly declare that this will take place after, not before the Lord comes in power and glory to judge the world.

I don't have a problem with that. If God can raise up children of Abraham from stones in the ground, he can certainly identify biological descendants of Jacob from the first generation to the last. Of those, he may obviously give whatever inheritance he pleases in the world to come.

If, however, you are claiming that this territorial inheritance will happen on this side of the Last Day, I would have to disagree. That would mean that a whole lot of things would necessarily be required to happen before the second advent of Our Lord, perhaps not the least likely is the identification and isolation of the descendants of the ten lost tribes, and it is perfectly clear from scripture that that day may come at any time - in five minutes or five millennia as the Lord sees fit. There is absolutely nothing preventing Jesus from returning even today other than his patience and mercy for those not yet saved.

As I pointed out earlier, the scriptures clearly state that the gathering of all Israel will be after the Lord Comes in power and glory to judge the world. This is found in the last chapter of Isaiah, where we read:

18 "For I know their works and their thoughts. It shall be that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come and see My glory. 19 I will set a sign among them; and those among them who escape I will send to the nations: to Tarshish and Pul and Lud, who draw the bow, and Tubal and Javan, to the coastlands afar off who have not heard My fame nor seen My glory. And they shall declare My glory among the Gentiles. 20 Then they shall bring all your brethren for an offering to the LORD out of all nations, on horses and in chariots and in litters, on mules and on camels, to My holy mountain Jerusalem," says the LORD, "as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel into the house of the LORD. 21 And I will also take some of them for priests and Levites," says the LORD. Isaiah 66:18-21

Here we find the great battle of Armageddon described, although not named. And then, after that battle, note the words "Then they shall bring all your brethren for an offering to the LORD out of all nations, on horses and in chariots and in litters, on mules and on camels, to My holy mountain Jerusalem."

The fact that this literally means all, that is absolutely all of them, is clearly stated in the first ten verses of Ezekiel 36, where we read:

1 "And you, son of man, prophesy to the mountains of Israel, and say, 'O mountains of Israel, hear the word of the LORD! 2 Thus says the Lord GOD: "Because the enemy has said of you, 'Aha! The ancient heights have become our possession,' " ' 3 therefore prophesy, and say, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "Because they made you desolate and swallowed you up on every side, so that you became the possession of the rest of the nations, and you are taken up by the lips of talkers and slandered by the people"-- 4 therefore, O mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Lord GOD! Thus says the Lord GOD to the mountains, the hills, the rivers, the valleys, the desolate wastes, and the cities that have been forsaken, which became plunder and mockery to the rest of the nations all around-- 5 therefore thus says the Lord GOD: "Surely I have spoken in My burning jealousy against the rest of the nations and against all Edom, who gave My land to themselves as a possession, with whole-hearted joy and spiteful minds, in order to plunder its open country." ' 6 Therefore prophesy concerning the land of Israel, and say to the mountains, the hills, the rivers, and the valleys, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "Behold, I have spoken in My jealousy and My fury, because you have borne the shame of the nations." 7 Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: "I have raised My hand in an oath that surely the nations that are around you shall bear their own shame. 8 "But you, O mountains of Israel, you shall shoot forth your branches and yield your fruit to My people Israel, for they are about to come. 9 For indeed I am for you, and I will turn to you, and you shall be tilled and sown. 10 I will multiply men upon you, all the house of Israel, all of it; and the cities shall be inhabited and the ruins rebuilt. Ezekiel 36:1-10

The fact that the Hebrew word "kol," which translates literally as "all," is doubled in verse 10 stresses that the meaning is absolutely all of "the house of Israel" will be brought back to a specific piece of real estate, which is defined as "the mountains of Israel," with "the hills, the rivers, and the valleys."

But they are not simply brought back to the land. The Lord has explicitly stated what He will do when He brings them back.

33 "As I live," says the Lord GOD, "surely with a mighty hand, with an outstretched arm, and with fury poured out, I will rule over you. 34 I will bring you out from the peoples and gather you out of the countries where you are scattered, with a mighty hand, with an outstretched arm, and with fury poured out. 35 And I will bring you into the wilderness of the peoples, and there I will plead My case with you face to face. 36 Just as I pleaded My case with your fathers in the wilderness of the land of Egypt, so I will plead My case with you," says the Lord GOD. 37 "I will make you pass under the rod, and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant; 38 I will purge the rebels from among you, and those who transgress against Me; I will bring them out of the country where they dwell, but they shall not enter the land of Israel.Then you will know that I am the LORD. Ezekiel 20:33-38

So the Lord himself has plainly declared that, as they return to the land, He will judge them at the border, purging out all the rebels from their midst. And concerning these rebels, it explicitly says that "I will bring them out of the country where they dwell, but they shall not enter the land of Israel."

And then, we plainly read that:

10 "And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn. 11 In that day there shall be a great mourning in Jerusalem, like the mourning at Hadad Rimmon in the plain of Megiddo. 12 And the land shall mourn, every family by itself: the family of the house of David by itself, and their wives by themselves; the family of the house of Nathan by itself, and their wives by themselves; 13 the family of the house of Levi by itself, and their wives by themselves; the family of Shimei by itself, and their wives by themselves; 14 all the families that remain, every family by itself, and their wives by themselves. Zechariah 12:10-14

So THIS is how it will come to pass that:

25 Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them. 28 Then you shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; you shall be My people, and I will be your God. 29 I will deliver you from all your uncleannesses. I will call for the grain and multiply it, and bring no famine upon you. 30 And I will multiply the fruit of your trees and the increase of your fields, so that you need never again bear the reproach of famine among the nations. 31 Then you will remember your evil ways and your deeds that were not good; and you will loathe yourselves in your own sight, for your iniquities and your abominations. Ezekiel 36:25-31

3 And it shall come to pass that he who is left in Zion and remains in Jerusalem will be called holy--everyone who is recorded among the living in Jerusalem. 4 When the Lord has washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and purged the blood of Jerusalem from her midst, by the spirit of judgment and by the spirit of burning, Isaiah 4:3-4

Although this is intentionally not written out in a continuous article, it is all clearly stated in the word of God, along with a very great number of other explicitly stated details. And to deny it is to attribute greater authority to our own ability to interpret scripture, than to the actual words given by the Holy Spirit himself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In stating that the inheritance apocalyptically described in the last chapters of Ezekiel takes place after the Last Day, the second Advent, in the New Earth, you have essentially agreed that the OP of this thread is in error.

The fact that only those physical descendants of Jacob that either had faith in the deliverance promised to them in the coming Messiah, or have or will become believers in Jesus Christ following his first Advent will receive their inheritance in the world to come concedes the point that the traditional eschatology of the Church, aka "Replacement Theology", is the correct interpretation.

The Church and Israel are one. We are all co-heirs with Christ. The physical descendants of Jacob will never receive any inheritance apart from Christ, and if we are in Christ, there is no longer any distinction between Jew and Gentile.

As to which particular piece of real estate is bequeathed to which group or individual in the New Earth, does it really matter? Isn't the fact that we will live eternally in the presence of God in perfect righteousness and purity forever enough?

How to Become a Dispensationalist in Four Easy Steps

1. Invent a new eschatology out of whole cloth
2. Replace the traditional eschatology of the Church with your new eschatology
3. Start calling the traditional eschatology of the Church "Replacement Theology"
4. Fail to see the irony

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In stating that the inheritance apocalyptically described in the last chapters of Ezekiel takes place after the Last Day, the second Advent, in the New Earth, you have essentially agreed that the OP of this thread is in error.

The fact that only those physical descendants of Jacob that either had faith in the deliverance promised to them in the coming Messiah, or have or will become believers in Jesus Christ following his first Advent will receive their inheritance in the world to come concedes the point that the traditional eschatology of the Church, aka "Replacement Theology", is the correct interpretation.

You are incorrectly assuming that by my words "after Messiah has come in power and glory to Judge the world," I was referring to a time after he world had been destroyed and re-made.

Many scriptures state, and clearly and explicitly state, that there will be a future physical kingdom on this earth. And some of these make it very clear, both that this earthly kingdom will be temporary, and that it will take place in an intermediate period between the time the God of heaven first comes to judge the world, and the time when He will destroy the earth and re-make it. The fact that this period will last a thousand years is ONLY stated in Revelation 20. But it is explicitly stated there no less than six times.

But regardless of whether this means a literal 1000 solar years, or only means a very long time, scripture could not be more clear that it is future, that it will be centered in Jerusalem, and that it will come to an end.

How to Become a Dispensationalist in Four Easy Steps
1. Invent a new eschatology out of whole cloth
2. Replace the traditional eschatology of the Church with your new eschatology
3. Start calling the traditional eschatology of the Church "Replacement Theology"
4. Fail to see the irony

;)
Actually, the very oldest Christian commentary on Bible prophecy (of any significant length) and which has survived to the present day, very clearly taught Dispensationalism. This was the very famous work by Irenaeus titled "against Heresies," and which is thought to have been published between 186 and 188 A.D.

Irenaeus spoke of this many times, using the word dispensation, or its plural form dispensations, well over eighty times. He explicitly named a few of these dispensations, namely “the dispensation of the law,” (book III, chapter XI, section 7, and again in book III, chapter XV, section 3) which he also called “the Levitical Dispensation,” (book IV, Title of chapter XVII.) “the Mosaic dispensation,” (book IV, chapter XXXVI, section 2.) and “the legal dispensation.” (book III, chapter X, section 2 and the title of book V, chapter VIII.) He used this last term a third time, contrasting it with “the new dispensation of liberty” in book III, chapter X, section 4. And he spoke of the present age as “our dispensation” in book IV, chapter XV, section 2. Finally, he referred to “the future dispensation of the human race.” (book III, chapter XXII, section 3.) We should also note that he used the term the “dispensations of God,” eight times. These eight times were in book I, chapter X, section 1, book I, chapter XVI, section 3, book II, chapter XXV, section 3, book III, chapter XI, section 9, book IV, chapter XX, section 10, book IV, chapter XXI, section 3, book IV, chapter XXIII, section 1, and book IV, chapter XXXIII, section 1.

Irenaeus insisted that his doctrine of the dispensations was what the church had always taught, saying, ““The Church, though dispersed through our the whole world, even to the ends of the earth, has received from the apostles and their disciples this faith: [She believes] in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are in them; and in one Christ Jesus, the Son of God, who became incarnate for our salvation; and in the Holy Spirit, who proclaimed through the prophets the dispensations of God, and the advents...” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book I, chapter X, section 1.) He said again that “Where, therefore, the gifts of the Lord have been placed, there it behoves us to learn the truth, [namely,] from those who possess that succession of the Church which is from the apostles, and among whom exists that which is sound and blameless in conduct, as well as that which is unadulterated and incorrupt in speech. For these also preserve this faith of ours in one God who created all things; and they increase that love [which we have] for the Son of God, who accomplished such marvellous dispensations for our sake: and they expound the Scriptures to us without danger, neither blaspheming God, nor dishonouring the patriarchs, nor despising the prophets.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book IV, chapter XXVI, section 5.)

Irenaeus taught the essence of dispensationalism in the following statements:

“Therefore the Son of the Father declares [Him] from the beginning, inasmuch as He was with the Father from the beginning, who did also show to the human race prophetic visions, and diversities of gifts, and His own ministrations, and the glory of the Father, in regular order and connection, at the fitting time for the benefit [of mankind]. For where there is a regular succession, there is also fixedness; and where fixedness, there suitability to the period; and where suitability, there also utility. And for this reason did the Word become the dispenser of the paternal grace for the benefit of men, for whom He made such great dispensations, revealing God indeed to men, but presenting man to God, and preserving at the same time the invisibility of the Father, lest man should at any time become a despiser of God, and that he should always possess something towards which he might advance; but, on the other hand, revealing God to men through many dispensations, lest man, failing away from God altogether, should cease to exist.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book IV, chapter XX, section 7.)

We need to notice certain key parts of this statement. Irenaeus said that God has “from the beginning” shown “to the human race prophetic visions” “in regular order and connection, at the fitting time,” and in “a regular succession,” with “suitability to the period.” And we particularly need to notice his statement that the Word was “revealing God to men through many dispensations.”

A few chapters later, Irenaeus further said, “There is one and the same God the Father, and His Word, who has been always present with the human race, by means indeed of various dispensations, and has wrought out many things, and saved from the beginning those who are saved, (for these are they who love God, and follow the Word of God according to the class to which they belong,) and has judged those who are judged, that is, those who forget God, and are blasphemous, and transgressors of His word.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book IV, chapter XXVIII, section 2.)

We already noticed in the first quotation we examined that Irenaeus said that “the Word” was “revealing God to men through many dispensations,” and that he said that this was done “at the fitting time,” in “a regular succession,” with “suitability to the period.” Now we see that he added that the Word “has been always present with the human race,” and saved various individuals “according to the class to which they belong.”

Irenaeus was not the only ancient writer that spoke on such matters. Augustin spoke even more plainly than Irenaeus, clearly making them different ages by saying, “The divine institution of sacrifice was suitable in the former dispensation, but is not suitable now. For the change suitable to the present age has been enjoined by God, who knows infinitely better than man what is fitting for every age, and who is, whether He give or add, abolish or curtail, increase or diminish, the unchangeable Governor as He is the unchangeable Creator of mutable things, ordering all events in His providence until the beauty of the completed course of time, the component parts of which are the dispensations adapted to each successive age, shall be finished, like the grand melody of some ineffably wise master of song, and those pass into the eternal immediate contemplation of God who here, though it is a time of faith, not of sight, are acceptably worshipping Him.” (“Letters of Augustin, Third Division, Letter 138 - to Marcellinus,” by Augustin, section 5.) From “Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, First Series, volume 1, Edited by Philip Schaff, D.D., LL.D..)

This is the very essence of dispensationalism, for it teaches that, although God is unchangeable, he deals with mankind in different ways in different ages.

Further down in the same letter, Augustin went on to say, “For in order to let those whom these things perplex understand that the change was already in the divine counsel, and that, when the new ordinances were appointed, it was not because the old had suddenly lost the divine approbation through inconstancy in His will, but that this had been already fixed and determined by the wisdom of that God to whom, in reference to much greater changes, these words are spoken in Scripture: Thou shalt change them, and they shall be changed; but Thou art the same,” —it is necessary to convince them that this exchange of the sacraments of the Old Testament for those of the New had been predicted by the voices of the prophets.”

It is a major tenet of dispensationalism, that the changes in the ways God deals with humanity were all part of His basic plan from the very beginning. Opponents of Dispensationalism often mock is as imagining that the church is God’s “plan B.” But Dispensationalism actually teaches that these changes had been a part of God’s overall plan from the very beginning. So in this comment, Augustin was defending Dispensationalism in the same way that modern Dispensationalists defend it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
"My Kingdom is not of this world."

Aside from a few minor forays into historical Chiliasm, the historical, traditional eschatology of the Church catholic has always been overwhelmingly rooted in an understanding best described as Realized Millennialism. In fact, once the Church's eschatology was thoroughly vetted and sorted out, you can find no substantial divergence from the established eschatology until around 1830. This has all been firmly established.

To all those not interested in using scriptural contortionism to attempt to justify whatever misguided misunderstanding of the end times they have become personally invested in, the scriptures are perfectly clear: There is only one Parousia, which is called by many names - the Last Day, the Second Advent, the Day of the Lord, the Day of Christ, the Day of Judgement, etc., etc., and after that Eternity, which is also called by many names - the Resurrection, the New Heavens and Earth, the Age to Come, World Without End, etc. Amen.

If you take a look around, within the last five years or so there has actually been quite a great awakening among Evangelicals, thanks be to God. They are throwing off the Pietistic fearmongering and Revivalistic propaganda known as Dispensational Millennialism in droves. Many intellectually honest Evangelicals have recognized the multitude of logical and scriptural errors which are the natural etiology of this novel doctrine and have shifted to a more historical eschatological model, such as partial Preterism or Realized Millennialism (Amillennialism).

We can only hope that in a brief period of time Dispensational Millennialism will join all the other tried and discarded false teachings from over the ages in the Church's rubbish heap.

Upvote 0