• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Repentence pt 2

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey guys,this is a second part to the message I asked today,all a day I e been fighting myself and ruminating.I feel very hopeless.First I’m assured that I hate sin then the other moment I am confronted with I love sin,and it’s scaring me.I hate inappropriate contentography,and I’ve read this article many times but I really would like to know the hope side.Why Praying For The Strength To Quit inappropriate contentography Won't Help You

could someone read this and help me understand better than I do?

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sorry m8.

Christianity in america by-in-large does not follow scriptural mandates or the practical wisdom of the apostles on this. Society also has no interest in really helping you. Everyone has caved to the pressure.

If I were you, I would not wait for a miracle. At your age I would start praying and strategize, and think about structuring your life in a way that works rather than meeting others' expectations, and trying to find a wife in a different culture who has some semblance of sanity remaining.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry m8.

Christianity in america by-in-large does not follow scriptural mandates or the practical wisdom of the apostles on this. Society also has no interest in really helping you. Everyone has caved to the pressure.

If I were you, I would not wait for a miracle. At your age I would start praying and strategize, and think about structuring your life in a way that works rather than meeting others' expectations, and trying to find a wife in a different culture who has some semblance of sanity remaining.
This isn’t exactly helpful,as a matter of fact it’s anxiety inducing

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This isn’t exactly helpful,as a matter of fact it’s anxiety inducing

Well, you can comfortably bide your time to see if I'm right, which I am. If you cannot contain, you should marry, according to Paul. It just so happens we're not as marriage-friendly as we used to be. I would jump ship and look for greener pastures while you have time.

• Informative
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, you can comfortably bide your time to see if I'm right, which I am. If you cannot contain, you should marry, according to Paul. It just so happens we're not as marriage-friendly as we used to be. I would jump ship and look for greener pastures while you have time.

mom simply reaching out because I have OCD and am asking for hope and help.This is helpful to a certain extent.

Upvote 0

William J

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2021
Buffalo, NY
✟267,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
Hi Blaise, I think the author of the piece that you linked to is being very judgmental. It sounds to me like he's saying that true Christians don't view inappropriate contentography and if you do, you are a big sinner. To be clear, when we engage in consuming inappropriate contentographic, it is sinful because that's definitely not the sexuality that God wants for us. However, God knows that we are sinners and He knows that we aren't perfect. All of us should do our best to resist the temptation to use inappropriate content, but if we slip up, God still loves us. God hates sin, but He loves us sinners. There is nothing you can do to make God stop loving you.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Blaise, I think the author of the piece that you linked to is being very judgmental. It sounds to me like he's saying that true Christians don't view inappropriate contentography and if you do, you are a big sinner. To be clear, when we engage in consuming inappropriate contentographic, it is sinful because that's definitely not the sexuality that God wants for us. However, God knows that we are sinners and He knows that we aren't perfect. All of us should do our best to resist the temptation to use inappropriate content, but if we slip up, God still loves us. God hates sin, but He loves us sinners. There is nothing you can do to make God stop loving you.
Thank you,I used to be a very bad inappropriate content user but now I’ve realized that if I don’t stop I’ll end up in hell,so I stopped,and have noticed a major downgrade in sin.I resent inappropriate content because it’s always driving a wedge between me and Jesus

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The article isn't really helpful. However, praying for assistance with it doesn't work usually since addiction is related to a habit or range of behavioral habits.

More than prayer is required since the addiction needs to be replaced with another activity.

There's action required on your part beyond the asking.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hey guys,this is a second part to the message I asked today,all a day I e been fighting myself and ruminating.I feel very hopeless.First I’m assured that I hate sin then the other moment I am confronted with I love sin,and it’s scaring me.I hate inappropriate contentography,and I’ve read this article many times but I really would like to know the hope side.Why Praying For The Strength To Quit inappropriate contentography Won't Help You

Praying for anything will help you. But while agonizing over inappropriate content and sin, beg God to come to know him better. Your sinlessness is not as immediately important to him as your heart is. Repent to him, and TALK TO HIM. Minute by minute if you have to. Make it your all day activity.

And better to read Scripture than to read these responses.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Praying for anything will help you. But while agonizing over inappropriate content and sin, beg God to come to know him better. Your sinlessness is not as immediately important to him as your heart is. Repent to him, and TALK TO HIM. Minute by minute if you have to. Make it your all day activity.

And better to read Scripture than to read these responses.
Mark how can I appeal to Jesus,I’m having so many intrusive thoughts that are saying “secretly you live inappropriate content” “you’ll fail” “your damned to hell” and it’s scary.How can I ask Jesus to forgive me and ask how I can redeem myself.I’m even having anxiety as to wether I get sorry for my mistake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Mark how can I appeal to Jesus,I’m having so many intrusive thoughts that are saying “secretly you live inappropriate content” “you’ll fail” “your damned to hell” and it’s scary.How can I ask Jesus to forgive me and ask how I can redeem myself
You can't redeem yourself. That's the Gospel —Christ redeems you by Grace. None of those thoughts, whether true or false, are relevant anymore as to who you are in Christ.

Confession and repentance aren't the same as "God forgive me", because you are already forgiven. You don't have to convince God to do anything, or get him to help you out. Maybe thinking of it like this will help: Prayer, even during this life, isn't quite a give and take between two separate entities. It is more like a conversation within the one entity, because you are IN CHRIST.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mark how can I appeal to Jesus,I’m having so many intrusive thoughts that are saying “secretly you live inappropriate content” “you’ll fail” “your damned to hell” and it’s scary.How can I ask Jesus to forgive me and ask how I can redeem myself
You can't redeem yourself. That's the Gospel —Christ redeems you by Grace. None of those thoughts, whether true or false, are relevant anymore as to who you are in Christ.

Confession and repentance aren't the same as "God forgive me", because you are already forgiven. You don't have to convince God to do anything, or get him to help you out. Maybe thinking of it like this will help: Prayer, even during this life, isn't quite a give and take between two separate entities. It is more like a conversation within the one entity, because you are IN CHRIST.
and I do that by faith in Jesus?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
and I do that by faith in Jesus?
This faith is the work of God, not by your effort. It is God's gift to you. You can count on it being real. This faith is generated by God himself —the Holy Spirit within you.

After this trouble is all over, and you are in Heaven, there will be no such problems. You are already that person that you will see yourself as when you are there.

I think it doesn't matter where the voices are coming from, you needn't feed one and starve the other, or accept one and resist the other. They are irrelevant. That is to say, your life on earth is not about the voices. If God is using a voice to give you a temporary gift of peace, then great, but that isn't faith.

You would do well to get away from (I tend to do this same thing) interpreting events and experiences according to miracle or supernatural activity. While there is truth to that point of view, it is the depending on the miraculous, the flashy, the attention-drawing, that gives a false foundation for life. 'Walking with God' isn't 'skipping from event to event'.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Mark how can I appeal to Jesus,I’m having so many intrusive thoughts that are saying “secretly you live inappropriate content” “you’ll fail” “your damned to hell” and it’s scary.How can I ask Jesus to forgive me and ask how I can redeem myself.I’m even having anxiety as to wether I get sorry for my mistake.
I remember my father (a New Testament Greek expert) explaining 1 John 1:9. That verse does not show any amount of sorrow for sin to be sufficient forgiveness. The sorrow is natural, with the realization of what you have done/said/thought, but the forgiveness that has already happened is contingent on the confession to God of that sin you have committed.

And other verses show the need for turning away from that sin; it is no longer part of you.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I remember my father (a New Testament Greek expert) explaining 1 John 1:9. That verse does not show any amount of sorrow for sin to be sufficient forgiveness. The sorrow is natural, with the realization of what you have done/said/thought, but the forgiveness that has already happened is contingent on the confession to God of that sin you have committed.

And other verses show the need for turning away from that sin; it is no longer part of you.
Thank you mark,though I wasn’t raised in it and don’t Adhere to it,I’ve read in reformed theology that God chooses who will be saved,and I’m worried that since I’m subbing like this I’m not one of his “elect”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you mark,though I wasn’t raised in it and don’t Adhere to it,I’ve read in reformed theology that God chooses who will be saved,and I’m worried that since I’m subbing like this I’m not one of his “elect”
Sin is a valid reason to not claim to be one his elect. However, what happens when you confess your sin and repent, even if it lasts only part of the day. God is MORE than happy to be your confidence.

When I said in another post that this is not about you, though, but about Christ, it was a reference to a whole different outlook on things: When Christ is the reason for life, the happy thought that he is doing this for his own sake, (not so much mine), and that he WILL ACCOMPLISH whatever he set out to do, is what satisfies me. Whether I am one of the Elect or not, no longer carries the same importance as watching and enjoying him. In the long run, as you know, it is his to judge anyway. Meanwhile, enjoy him using you, whether your performance is up to par or not.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sin is a valid reason to not claim to be one his elect. However, what happens when you confess your sin and repent, even if it lasts only part of the day. God is MORE than happy to be your confidence.

When I said in another post that this is not about you, though, but about Christ, it was a reference to a whole different outlook on things: When Christ is the reason for life, the happy thought that he is doing this for his own sake, (not so much mine), and that he WILL ACCOMPLISH whatever he set out to do, is what satisfies me. Whether I am one of the Elect or not, no longer carries the same importance as watching and enjoying him. In the long run, as you know, it is his to judge anyway. Meanwhile, enjoy him using you, whether your performance is up to par or not.
This is very helpful!,id like to ask one more thing mark,most of my life I’ve centered my faith in Christ between me and him.Is it selfish that I think of faith about my salvation?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
This is very helpful!,id like to ask one more thing mark,most of my life I’ve centered my faith in Christ between me and him.Is it selfish that I think of faith about my salvation?
God doesn't seem to berate anyone for that, although in Hebrews 6 he does talk of moving beyond that into maturity. "6 Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God" There are many other places also that talk about maturity, of course, but as for natural concern for your own soul, he doesn't seem to mind. (In fact, the same sort of thing is true about what seems to me a little off —people doing good for the purpose of "storing up treasures in heaven." I still don't get that. To me, the reward is the wrong reason for doing good. But he doesn't seem to berate anyone for that either —in fact, they are told to do so, (though, granted, they are not told to do so for that reason alone).)

There is something also, probably worth mentioning: self-interest is not the same thing as selfishness, or self-centeredness. We can't help but be concerned with our own person. The problem is when we think more about ourselves than is our due. The problem is when we think the world revolves around us, and "it is all about me".

• Friendly
Upvote 0